Free [D&D 5e] Terry Herc Tomes seeking freelance writers

Terry Herc

Explorer
Hello,

Terry Herc Tomes is seeking freelance writers for a number of upcoming RPG projects. We are looking for reliable, experienced candidates that can deliver on deadlines and produce great content using the D&D 5e OGL ruleset.

We have a need for writers that can produce adventures, lore, statblocks, spells, magic items, and more. Currently we are seeking writers that can produce humorous and light-hearted content.

All payments are made on delivery and all rights are purchased by Terry Herc Tomes. Payment rates are determined for each project individually, with a minimum payment rate for new writers at $0.01 USD per word. Rates for proven, established writers vary from $0.02 to $0.04 USD per word. Content that is not easily measured by word count are paid as a flat rate. All content must be playtested and edited to adhere to the 5e style guide, which is available for review here.

Interested freelancers should contact Terry by email at terryherctomes@gmail.com. In your email, please provide a writing or game design sample that shows your style and commitment to quality.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Terry Herc

Explorer
Hi Morrus, thank you for your comment.

For completely new, first-time writers with no previous published writing credits, one cent a word would be the base introductory rate. For experienced writers with previous publishing credits, the rates are higher as noted above. This compensation scale is consistent with a major third party publisher that produces 5e content.

For writers that are interested, we provide prompt payment within 30 days after delivery of the final draft.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I would not advise any new writer to accept less than 3c/w. And that’s really basement rate pay. Accepting less than that normalises it.

Editing is a separate job, paid similarly per word.

And yes, payment upon acceptance is appropriate. Good call on that! :)

Slit518

Adventurer
I would not advise any new writer to accept less than 3c/w. And that’s really basement rate pay. Accepting less than that normalises it.

Editing is a separate job, paid similarly per word.

And yes, payment upon acceptance is appropriate. Good call on that! :)

Morrus, luckily as individuals we can decide if we want to work for that type of work for hire. Now, personally I see 1 cent a word as low, and that is only $5 for a 500 word piece, BUT, if you are a person without any formal credits to your name, are struggling to get into the industry, and other folks see this as a serious publication, then you most certainly will do it for the credit.

Is Terry Herc Tomes an actual 3rd party company, or are they new up and comers? Even new publishers need to start somewhere, and can't always pay out the big bucks like Paizo or WotC. I am not sure what 3rd party publishers like Kobold Press or Green Frog Games pay per word.

Remove ads