Xanathar's Subclasses

Just picked this book up for steal at 20$ on Amazon. Has anyone had the chance to try any of these out? Curious to see how the Bard college of swords plays. Just from reading it makes me think this would be a cool sub-class to play.

The swords bard really shines with one level of paladin or fighter to start. With that multiclass they are fantastic. The flourishes once you hit level 5 are plentiful and can make you a true frontliner with your defensive abilities to dodge tank.

S'mon

Legend
Forge Domain Cleric, Gloomstalker Ranger and Shadow Monk all seem very powerful. The latter would Pass Without Trace on the whole party and make them undetectable.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Just picked this book up for steal at 20$ on Amazon. Has anyone had the chance to try any of these out? Curious to see how the Bard college of swords plays. Just from reading it makes me think this would be a cool sub-class to play.

It's arguably the best book out for 5e D&D that isn't one of the core books, and $20 is a great bargain for it.

Lots of people have tried out the subclasses in there and they tend to work very well. Some of the new spells are great too. Right now I am working with the Tool Use section to add some depth to my fighter who otherwise sometimes lacks some oomph outside of combat. It's an all around great book.

Henry

Autoexreginated
So far, I've seen an ancestral guardian Barbarian, a Swashbuckler Rogue, A Hex blade warlock, and a Divine Soul Sorcerer. Of all of these, the Divine Soul was the most lackluster - but I think this has as much to do with the Sorcerer being slightly too short on spells known as anything. All subclasses I've seen so far live up to the other choices in the PH, and I haven't seen any that are just too plain overpowered.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I'm currently playing a Storm Sorcerer and enjoying the class very much. (It's also in SCAG, I believe.) I've also created an Inquisitive Rogue character for a game that's about to start. Others in my group are playing, in various campaigns, a College of Glamour Bard, a Swashbuckler Rogue, and a Celestial Warlock. Everyone seems very happy with the characters they've designed and/or played.

I'm really enjoying the book. Cant wait to use the down time stuff. I was pretty big into 5e when it launched then life happened and had to take a break. Now I'm able to get back into it. Picked up with my old group right where we stopped (at the end of lost mines). Just started Tomb of Annihilation. Can anyone say if SCAG is worth it? Seems like most of the adventure paths have all the info you need on a particular area.

Kind of wish wizards would release Gazzets of setting material. The booklet that is included in Murder in Baldurs Gate would be perfect.

the Jester

Legend
I've god a college of glamor bard in my game, and have played a samurai fighter. Both are fun and have good, worthwhile, but not unbalanced abilities.

G

Guest 6801328

Forge Domain Cleric, Gloomstalker Ranger and Shadow Monk all seem very powerful. The latter would Pass Without Trace on the whole party and make them undetectable.

Both of the last two can cast Pass Without Trace.

A Gloomstalker/Assassin is a really powerful combo. With Pass Without Trace the party can get surprise, the Gloomstalker gives an extra attack, with an extra +1d8, and another +1d6 for Hunters Mark, and then all hits turn into crits for double dice. Sick.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I'm playing a Zealot right now, and just got to 5th level. Next 3 levels will be in Ranger going Gloom Stalker for story reasons mostly.

All in all the XGtE options seem to be competitive with, if not slight more creep over, phb options.

Remove ads