Hexsorcadin 6/1/13 vs Sorcadin 6/14 - is SAD worth it?

Benny89

First Post
Let's say you are Variant Humna, you have War Caster and +2 CHA and you are level 6. Time has come to decide how to build your Sorcadin.

So it's between Paladin 6/Hexblade 1/Sorcerer 13 (Divine Soul or Shadow)

vs Paladin 6/Sorcerer 14 (Divine or Shadow).

In case of first one you can take +2 CHA on next ASI and be SAD CHA, spell DC, attack etc. But you lose 9th level slot (which while you don't know 9th level slots can be used for something like Spiritual Guardians etc.) but you also get 7th level magic same as 6/14. But you delay Sorcerer stuff by 1 level and end up with 13 sorc points. We also get Shield and Armor of Agathys. Also then you have freedom of feats as you don't have to fous on maxing both attack and spell stat.

In second, classic build next ASI would have to go to STR (or DEX if you are DEX) to get 18 there as you won't use CHA. And so the next ASI probably. So you delay 20 CHA by a long or you won't have decent Attack stat. Also investing here in STR might later seems like waste if you find Giant Belt. We get faster Sorc progression by 1 level and end up with 14 sorc points. But we still only now max of 7th level spells. And we get 9th level slot.

All in all- I think 1 level dip is not that big delay for what it gives overall. What do you think?

Last edited:

Benny89

First Post
Personally I think "drop the Sorcerer", but then I've never got the point of Sorcadins.

I guess the point is more spell slots, more variety of spells, still access to both Sorcere and Cleric spells, quicken Hold spells, AoE CC spells, damage spells, melee cantrips, defense spells etc etc. More Nova, Font of Magic, Metamagic and so on.

And you didn't really answer the question of this thread....

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Let's say you are Variant Humna, you have War Caster and +2 CHA and you are level 6. Time has come to decide how to build your Sorcadin.

So it's between Paladin 6/Hexblade 1/Sorcerer 13 (Divine Soul or Shadow)

vs Paladin 6/Sorcerer 14 (Divine or Shadow).

In case of first one you can take +2 CHA on next ASI and be SAD CHA, spell DC, attack etc. But you lose 9th level slot (which while you don't know 9th level slots can be used for something like Spiritual Guardians etc.) but you also get 7th level magic same as 6/14. But you delay Sorcerer stuff by 1 level and end up with 13 sorc points. We also get Shield and Armor of Agathys. Also then you have freedom of feats as you don't have to fous on maxing both attack and spell stat.

In second, classic build next ASI would have to go to STR (or DEX if you are DEX) to get 18 there as you won't use CHA. And so the next ASI probably. So you delay 20 CHA by a long or you won't have decent Attack stat. Also investing here in STR might later seems like waste if you find Giant Belt. We get faster Sorc progression by 1 level and end up with 14 sorc points. But we still only now max of 7th level spells. And we get 9th level slot.

All in all- I think 1 level dip is not that big delay for what it gives overall. What do you think?

Can I offer some advice.

A large portion of your damage as a Paladin 6 sorcerer X is going to come from your smites and quicken spell. Is it really worth boosting str beyond 16ish even if you don't take hexblade? Instead take charisma for better saves (including concentration saves) and better spell DC's, and better social skills . You'll still hit enough with 16 str to smite anything to death and booming blade anything to death.

The 2nd piece of advice is that if you are going to go hexblade do so right around 2nd ASI which is when you can normally have 20 charisma. For yours that is character level 10. You would take hexblade at character level 11.

I would take hexblade just cause it seems like a bigger bonus by that time than anything else I could get and level 9 spell slots without level 9 spells are a bit lackluster IMO.

FrogReaver

Honestly I would consider college of swords bard over sorcerer for this build. It solves your spell focus problem. The defensive dice make you nearly impossible to hit. You can take the duelist fighting style with it so you can also have the defensive style with your paladin levels. You get rituals which are surprisingly really fun. You get expertise and jack of all trades to give you some great skills. The only downside is that you won't really have everything come online till level 12 or 13, which I guess if we are being honest your sorcerer version only really comes online by level 11 or 12.

Benny89

First Post
Honestly I would consider college of swords bard over sorcerer for this build. It solves your spell focus problem. The defensive dice make you nearly impossible to hit. You can take the duelist fighting style with it so you can also have the defensive style with your paladin levels. You get rituals which are surprisingly really fun. You get expertise and jack of all trades to give you some great skills. The only downside is that you won't really have everything come online till level 12 or 13, which I guess if we are being honest your sorcerer version only really comes online by level 11 or 12.

Thank you for both of your advices! I think you are correct to wait for level 10 with Hex dip. Maybe I will find Giant Belt till then, which will allow me to skip Hex.

I already took Dueling for my sword n board Sorcadin so College of swords style would go to waste. Besides I really want to play with meta magic, especially quicken Hold Person etc.

What do you think- Shadow or Divine Soul? I like Darkvision and Hound but so I like Spiritual Weapon, Spirit Guardians and Holy Weapon spells

FrogReaver

Having spirit guardians as an option is nice.

Spiritual weapon always feels overrated to me in an actual game in my experience.

Benny89

First Post
Having spirit guardians as an option is nice.

Spiritual weapon always feels overrated to me in an actual game in my experience.

Not saying it's "super strong", but it allows to save Sorc Points in a fight where you don't really need to go full ham on enemies. Spiritual Weapon will give you that bonus attack for a price of one slot as opposed to use Quicken every turn or some damaging spell.

At least that is what I think.

But in your opinion is Divine Souls extra spells worth over Shadow? I really think Holy Weapon is great (especially twinned for other ally) buff to weapon and Spirit Guardians will add more damage and CC in long run than one Fireball. It's just what I think.

Also Quicken Heal + Lay Down Hands is easy 100 hp heal in one turn too.

FrogReaver

I’d lean toward divine soul. Darkvision isn’t worth it when you can just use the light cantrip.

Being able to see through magical darkness and casting darkness is strong In theory but it’s not very party friendly and that makes it impractical.

All in all I’d say neither subclass is particularly strong for you but divine soul is probably a little stronger than shadow.

Remove ads