Hexsorcadin 6/1/13 vs Sorcadin 6/14 - is SAD worth it?

Benny89

First Post
You are going to be playing this character a long time before you need to worry about 20th level. I'd forget that level's impacts and focus on what makes the next few levels fun and what is the most interesting for the PC's story. You'll be happier.

Appreciate it. You are correct. We expect to play to at least to level 16, but it's better to keep your hopes in check.

Benny89

First Post
Question: Is Armor of Agathys worth casting from level 8 or 9 slot for +40/45 HP and 40/45 retaliation damage?

Seems like AoA could be very strong spell on front line tank Sorcadin.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Question: Is Armor of Agathys worth casting from level 8 or 9 slot for +40/45 HP and 40/45 retaliation damage?

Seems like AoA could be very strong spell on front line tank Sorcadin.

It only lasts an hour. With your ac and shield spell the only thing that likely hits you is breath weapons and such. Those likely have the potential to take it off in a single hit.

Benny89

First Post
It only lasts an hour. With your ac and shield spell the only thing that likely hits you is breath weapons and such. Those likely have the potential to take it off in a single hit.

Thank you. Considering I will have level 8 and 9 slot free- what are some spells from lower tiers that are worth being casted from such high slots (if any)?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Is SAD worth it? Tell me your parameters. It is completely different environment in a level 20 white room vs. playing levels 1-20 and spending time at each level. Which is different than starting at 5th, which is different than starting at 10th.

How the character plays through your first 2-3 ASIs will tell you if spending a level for SAD - but also delaying other things by getting that level is great, unacceptable, or just another path. And since that's likely close to half your total time playing the character IF you start at 1st, that's really where you want to focus you effort in order to have an answer to the question.

Unless, as I said, your parameters are different. Starting at a different level. Rolled ability scores. Who knows. But a level 1-20 game that's what you should look at; looking at it only for the last 5% of play can be actively misleading in terms of how it plays for the large swaths of the character's early adventuring career.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

Thank you. Considering I will have level 8 and 9 slot free- what are some spells from lower tiers that are worth being casted from such high slots (if any)?

animate objects
hold monster
mass suggestion

Those would be my top picks for your level 8 and 9 slots. They all have very nice scaling capabilities. They all can single handedly turn almost any given combat.

Benny89

First Post
Is SAD worth it? Tell me your parameters. It is completely different environment in a level 20 white room vs. playing levels 1-20 and spending time at each level. Which is different than starting at 5th, which is different than starting at 10th.

How the character plays through your first 2-3 ASIs will tell you if spending a level for SAD - but also delaying other things by getting that level is great, unacceptable, or just another path. And since that's likely close to half your time playing the character IF you start at 1st, that's really where you want to focus you effort in order to have an answer to the question.

Unless, as I said, your parameters are different. Starting at a different level. Rolled ability scores. Who knows. But a level 1-20 game that's what you should look at; looking at it only for the last 5% of play is worse then useless, it's actively misleading.

Don't know what parameters are but I will start with Vuman 16,8,14,8,10,16 and War Caster feat and Paladin level 1. Then second level I want to grab Sorc for GFB, BB and Shield and then go straight to Paladin 6 (melee cantrips should carry me to level 5 no problem and 6 is Aura so better not delay it). My second ASI will be +2 CHA and on level 10 (6 Pal/4 Sorc) +CHA again as was recommended here. Then I want to decide if I want to go Hexblade or continue Sorc. For fighing style I will take Dueling.

DM said this campaign should take us to at least levels 16.

FrogReaver

Don't know what parameters are but I will start with Vuman 16,8,14,8,10,16 and War Caster feat and Paladin level 1. Then second level I want to grab Sorc for GFB, BB and Shield and then go straight to Paladin 6 (melee cantrips should carry me to level 5 no problem and 6 is Aura so better not delay it). My second ASI will be +2 CHA and on level 10 (6 Pal/4 Sorc) +CHA again as was recommended here. Then I want to decide if I want to go Hexblade or continue Sorc. For fighing style I will take Dueling.

DM said this campaign should take us to at least levels 16.

Have you considered the following:

Modify stats to something like 13 16 12 8 8 16 (I'm not sure if that's possible but you should be able to get close). Use medium armor and a rapier (or short sword if you hate the flavor of rapier). Start level 1 as sorcerer and have level 2 be your first level of paladin.

It gives you con saves which are important to you and much better initiative for slightly less efficient starting ASI's and slightly less AC and Hp.

Benny89

First Post
Have you considered the following:

Modify stats to something like 13 16 12 8 8 16 (I'm not sure if that's possible but you should be able to get close). Use medium armor and a rapier (or short sword if you hate the flavor of rapier). Start level 1 as sorcerer and have level 2 be your first level of paladin.

It gives you con saves which are important to you and much better initiative for slightly less efficient starting ASI's and slightly less AC and Hp.

Hi. Thanks for suggestion, but I like WIS saves proficiency as CON are of course important but I have to pick War Caster anyway while WIS-save based spells usually mean being totally disabled. I prefer to have plate armor than medium armor. Your suggestion is good of course but I can't imagine Paladin armor without plate armor :). Since I will have all crucial ASI on level 10 anyway I can always grab RES (CON) if needed later. I would need to grab RES (WIS) later anyway following your suggestion as I can't imagine tank in front line not having one and being eliminated from fight by one disable spell. Losing CONC is bad, but you can just recast it next turn. While being disabled is well.....

But I see your suggestion, I just don't find DEX and no-plate armor going well with Paladins. Personal preference.

And I like STR versitiality bettter as I can use both fineasse and non-fineasse weapons with it, which goes well with our DM as he likes to hand out a lot of strange magic items :)

Benny89

First Post

Can I have one more question?: What spells would you all recommend picking up as Divine Sorcerer from both spell lists?

Also, what do you think about feat: Elemental Adept (fire)?

This allows me to ignore fire elemental resistance of enemies so I could use my fireball, scorching ray or GFB more reliable. But I don't know if this is worth over Shield Master or RES (CON) or Inspiring Leader later.

Remove ads