WotC Is Mike Mearls Happy Hour still a thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

the Jester

Legend
Apparently a consultant back in 2014 was taken on despite warnings of domestic violence, sexual assault and abusive online behaviour. When face with this MM asked for information and many who had dealings with the consultant emailed Mike on their personal experiences with the consultant. Apparently Mike took the view that things were exaggerated or made up only after forwarding the emails to the consultant. Mike of late made a statement that the consultant was only a play tester and that WotC has stopped dealing with him. The consultant known as Zak S has a credit in the PHB as a consultant which is separate to play testers mentioned. Many were upset with Mike trying to low key his part in this and for him failing to take any personal responsibility. His twitter account with the message and the responses is probably more enlightening.

My understanding is that the allegation that he forwarded the emails to Zak S is not actually supported by anything. All I've seen is a screen cap of Mearls asking for evidence of the allegations.

Let's not join a witch hunt without some kind of actual reason, guys.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
My understanding is that the allegation that he forwarded the emails to Zak S is not actually supported by anything. All I've seen is a screen cap of Mearls asking for evidence of the allegations.

Let's not join a witch hunt without some kind of actual reason, guys.

It was more that he dismissed those people who contacted him (as he asked) as a “lynch mob”. Turns out they weren’t. Add a couple of other really badly thought-through tweets, and a refusal to apologise for them, and I’m not surprised he’s staying out of the limelight for now.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
It was more that he dismissed those people who contacted him (as he asked) as a “lynch mob”. Turns out they weren’t. Add a couple of other really badly thought-through tweets, and a refusal to apologise for them, and I’m not surprised he’s staying out of the limelight for now.

It really bothers me that he won’t just apologize. So what if he was acting in good faith, or didn’t mean to hurt anyone, or was blinded by liking the guy? Satine Pheonix was blinded by being friends with the guy, too, but she immediately tweeted out a message of support for Mandy when the news broke.

Mike’s actions hurt people, it’s that simple. I don’t get why people are so reluctant to apologize when they’ve hurt people.

Funny thing, he DID apologize. To one of the affected people. In person. And had a long conversation.

We just didn’t see it because it was a personal apology to the person called out and affected and not some boilerplate public show apology.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
Funny thing, he DID apologize. To one of the affected people. In person. And had a long conversation.

We just didn’t see it because it was a personal apology to the person called out and affected and not some boilerplate public show apology.

Which would more than sufficient if his actions had only hurt that one person.

They didn't, so it isn't.

Maybe he did this to more than this one person. I think there are many people who are not personally affected by MM's action and only speculating what really happened and stating it as facts. He is neither oblieged to apologize to them nor is it a good way to apologize to the people who actually were hurt by his actions.
So I am happy that he is still in and apologizes to the right persons. If there was the list of email accounts he sent forward he is doing a good job going there and tell them he is sorry face to face.

Who?

Okay, mistakes were made. WotC dun goofed when they has notorious trolls and asshats Zak S and the RPG Pundit involved in testing the game. That was a failure of researching people and doing background checks. But after the community pointed out they were asshats, WotC didn't work with them again.
Foolish, but no one was "hurt". (And better than a lot of companies who worked and hired those people long afterward.)

There's the rumour that Mearls shared emails including senders with Zak. But that was never proven. I've never seen any evidence of that. Not a single screenshot.
It's not so much a rumour as a conspiracy theory.
It was suspected because Zak brigaded some of the people who spoke out. But since these were already people ZS and the Pundit had fought with previously there's a simpler answer: they just made educated guesses as to who complained and targeted past victims.

We can't hold Mearls responsible for their actions. The only person he hurt was the person he insulted by name in the Google+ post. And he apologized to them personally.

Anything else is just the community asking him to jump through a hoop and dance for them. A show of contrition and public humiliation until we deem he has sufficiently been "punished".

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Who?

Okay, mistakes were made. WotC dun goofed when they has notorious trolls and asshats Zak S and the RPG Pundit involved in testing the game. That was a failure of researching people and doing background checks. But after the community pointed out they were asshats, WotC didn't work with them again.
Foolish, but no one was "hurt". (And better than a lot of companies who worked and hired those people long afterward.)

There's the rumour that Mearls shared emails including senders with Zak. But that was never proven. I've never seen any evidence of that. Not a single screenshot.
It's not so much a rumour as a conspiracy theory.
It was suspected because Zak brigaded some of the people who spoke out. But since these were already people ZS and the Pundit had fought with previously there's a simpler answer: they just made educated guesses as to who complained and targeted past victims.

We can't hold Mearls responsible for their actions. The only person he hurt was the person he insulted by name in the Google+ post. And he apologized to them personally.

Anything else is just the community asking him to jump through a hoop and dance for them. A show of contrition and public humiliation until we deem he has sufficiently been "punished".

I’m sure he’ll be fine. He’s just staying quiet for a bit. Don’t panic.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
Who?

And if that was what had happened, we wouldn't be here. Specifically, when the community pointed out they were asshats before 5e was published, Mearls deliberately dismissed those community members as trolls just looking to "form a lynch mob".

The community tried to warn Wizards and Mearls specifically denigrated and dismissed them.

And when Mearls stood with Zak against those trying to shine a light on his harassment, he, personally, made it that much more difficult for those voices to taken seriously within the community at large, to the extent that Zak still remained a respected, if not controversial, member of the industry for at least another 4-5 years before a credible enough voice broke that dam.

And Mearls has not taken responsibility nor has he apologized for these statements. This is why he needs to make a public mea culpa; because his actions harmed the community as a whole, and especially survivors of harassment and intimate partner violence within the community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases