Critical Role Critical Role's Kickstarter Breaks $1,000,000 In About An Hour!

For those hoping for a new D&D cartoon, Critical Role has just launched a Kickstarter for an animated show based on their livestream campaign. It broke a million dollars in about an hour, and has 45 days left to go...

For those hoping for a new D&D cartoon, Critical Role has just launched a Kickstarter for an animated show based on their livestream campaign. It broke a million dollars in about an hour, and has 45 days left to go...

6b23fe44b487d4ab799e793103bbcb6f_original.png

"Critical Role's The Legend of Vox Machina reunites your favorite D&D heroes for a professional-quality animated special!"

Also on offer are theme song MP3s, production art prints, sticker sets, dice, playing card sets, plushies, pin sets, canvas bags, and more.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I wonder just how many people CR has brought to the table, particularly how many new GMs it has created. Because I bet it is a lot, and that's the real benefit to the hobby.
Indeed. My wife started their own D&D campaign after binge-watching all of Campaign One. They were nervous and excited and terrified at first, but they took to it like a fish to water. We've been hosting regular game nights for over a year now.

Last edited:

Reynard

Legend
Indeed. My wife started her own D&D campaign after binge-watching all of Campaign One. She was nervous and excited and terrified at first, but she took to it like a fish to water. We've been hosting regular game nights for over a year now.

That XP was for your wife. Tell her she leveled up!

The irony of the article is the CR crew is well aware of diversity issues. Mercer said he didn't know if he should voice Gillmore on the cartoon because he's a white actor and Gillmore is not white. Now, anyone who has seen the streams know Matt is Gillmore. But his first thought was the optics of him portraying a POC in a cartoon.

(Anyone wanting a reference for that can find it on the Mar 5 Q&A video. I don't know the time offset.)

MarkB

Legend
Considering the guitar manufacturing industry in the US alone is some 650 million dollars, I'm thinking that guitar manufacturers are pretty well supported.

IOW, the bemoaning would be a lot quieter if the TTRPG industry was ten times its current size.

It only got to be its current size due to a large influx of new players brought in by the streaming shows.

Kite474

Explorer
Indeed. WotC itself attributed over 50% of new players to streaming shows.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/conten...Into-Game-From-Watching-Online-Play&p=7280454

The medium is outgrowing the game.

Which is both great and kind of worrying. Great in that thats a crap ton of people and its always good to see more people. Worrying In the sense that what little success there is built on something kind of fragile... I guess it only serves to show how tiny this industry kind of is.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Which is both great and kind of worrying. Great in that thats a crap ton of people and its always good to see more people. Worrying In the sense that what little success there is built on something kind of fragile... I guess it only serves to show how tiny this industry kind of is.

Is it fragile? Or is it just where the hobby is going?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
You say "what little success there is," but D&D alone has been played by tens of millions of people, who have spent billions of dollars on it. There are hundreds of RPG channels on YouTube, and dozens of tabletop RPGs streamed live on Twitch at any given moment. Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes was a national bestseller.

Take heart. This industry hasn't been tiny for a long, long time.

Hussar

Legend
Is it fragile? Or is it just where the hobby is going?

Well, how would that actually work?

You have a small fraction of people playing RPG's and putting that content out there for people to watch. The hobby cannot survive solely on streamers. It's not like any of the streaming dollars are going into RPG company hands. And, it's not like streamers need to play the current edition or game to put out content.

It is a concerning trend. But, hopefully, there will be enough handoff with stream watchers becoming gamers that it will keep the industry going. Certainly looks healthy right now.

Galendril

Explorer
Well, how would that actually work?

You have a small fraction of people playing RPG's and putting that content out there for people to watch. The hobby cannot survive solely on streamers. It's not like any of the streaming dollars are going into RPG company hands. And, it's not like streamers need to play the current edition or game to put out content.

It is a concerning trend. But, hopefully, there will be enough handoff with stream watchers becoming gamers that it will keep the industry going. Certainly looks healthy right now.

It’s called free advertising. Any company would love to have fans streaming their products weekly.

Remove ads

Remove ads