Recommend Some Rules Lite Systems

Lord Shark

Adventurer
Blades in the Dark, although it's meant for a specific kind of fantasy -- criminals in a fantasy city, rather than adventurers going down into dungeons. And yeah, 13th Age.

Aldarc

Legend
Another possibility is Fantasy Age by Green Ronin Publishers. The game feels like a lighter version of 3e played with 3d6. (You can see the influence of True20.) It has some nice, easy to digest elements such as its Stunt system. Roll doubles on a 3d6, and you get stunt points you can use equal to the value on the designated Stunt die, which is typically just the one d6 of a different color than the other two. And stunts let you do cool things: e.g., bonus damage, pushing enemies, striking multiple enemies, etc. Three base classes: warrior, thief, mage. And there are some methods for specializing your character. It even goes to 20 levels.

Jonathan Tweet

Adventurer
The nice thing about 13th Age (if I do say so myself) is that character creation is easier than it is in PF, and yet the game makes more room character customization rather than less. Something minimalist, such as C&C, gives you less character customization. I liked my 3E campaign back in the day, but today I want more customization and fewer rules.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
C&C is simpler than 3E (and thus much simpler than PF), but it's definitely low on ability to customize characters.

Lighter, but with a good amount of customization, while still being broadly compatible with 3E-derived D&D games is Beyond the Wall. I haven't played it to high levels, nor picked up the sourcebook about doing so, but it is really wonderful and charming at low levels.

jagerfury

Explorer
USR by Scott Malthouse and Trollish Delver Games. His games get a warm reception by many who paly his stuff. I use USR quite a bit for my S&S game.

ParanoydStyle

Peace Among Worlds
Was going to shamelessly self promote my own DicePunk system, saw the words "fantasy theme is important", and backed off of that. While I do consider to be (on the heavier end of) rules lite, DicePunk is pretty explicitly for gameplay set in the real world and the 20th/21st century.

SO: the rules in Lamentations of the Flame Princess are definitely lighter than Pathfinder so let me recommend that.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases