D&D 5E 7th level sorcerer build, RAW only PHB only

DM-Rocco

Explorer
Okay, I need to build a 7th level character. Sorcerer is a must. I have read many threads with Warlock dipping and I'm open to that, but the build has to be only from the Players handbook and/or the Dungeon Masters Guide. No other sources.

My first thought is Drow or Aasimar or Half Elf, 5 levels of Sorcerer and 2 warlock. I wanted 3 warlock for the pact magic, but I felt that the 3rd level spells were better than pact magic.

Keep n mind that at level 10 we can re-make our characters so nothing is set in stone, but I do want some ideas for the build, spells, etc. Yes, I have seen the guides, but with only using the PHB and DMG, what are your suggestions?

DM-Rocco

Explorer
Side question, can you use/pick spells from both class lists? My gut tells me know, but under read/cast spells from scrolls you can use a scroll if it is on your Spell list for that character so since I can't find anything that says that I have to choose spells from just the sorcerer list I'm leaning the other way.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
1. What else is in the party?
2. Do you have a preference whether you buff or blast or control?

Whatever you decide, do at least 5 levels in sorcerer.

DM-Rocco

Explorer
There is a monk, a fighter, a war cleric, a rogue, a druid, and a ranger that I guess doesn't show up that often.

I like control or options for every situation. Thus I love the counterspell even though it is situational. Obviously I want some blaster stuff, so things like eldritch blast, scorching ray, fireball are good.

I was toying with devil sight and darkness, but that might not be the best option.

I do get one +1 item which I was thinking of rod of the pact or the war mage wand.

I initaily wanted to play a favored soul aasimar and be like a judge dread style character bringing divine justice down on others, but then he changed his mond and said I had to choose from just DMG and PHB.

I have the ability scores for any prerequisite.

Obviosuly you only have a choice between dragon or wild backgrounds and I don't understand the wild magic enough to take that. Like if you cast a spell and it triggers wild magic, do you get the spell effect and the wild magic effect or just the wild magic effect? Seems like a gamble.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
There is a monk, a fighter, a war cleric, a rogue, a druid, and a ranger that I guess doesn't show up that often.

I like control or options for every situation. Thus I love the counterspell even though it is situational. Obviously I want some blaster stuff, so things like eldritch blast, scorching ray, fireball are good.

I was toying with devil sight and darkness, but that might not be the best option.

I do get one +1 item which I was thinking of rod of the pact or the war mage wand.

I initaily wanted to play a favored soul aasimar and be like a judge dread style character bringing divine justice down on others, but then he changed his mond and said I had to choose from just DMG and PHB.

I have the ability scores for any prerequisite.

Obviosuly you only have a choice between dragon or wild backgrounds and I don't understand the wild magic enough to take that. Like if you cast a spell and it triggers wild magic, do you get the spell effect and the wild magic effect or just the wild magic effect? Seems like a gamble.

For combat I recommend sorcerer 5 tempest cleric 2.

For out of combat sorcerer 6 bard 1 or sorcerer 5 divination wizard 2.

Fighter 2 sorcerer 5 is good too but you have less spell slots.

Pure sorcerer is okay too but I’ve always wanted to try some of the above options.

For pure power, sorc 5, warlock is good. But a straight sorcerer is also not bad at all. 4th level spells and the level 6 ability go a long way.
Another Idea can be fighter 2 for actons surge. Saves a lot of sorcery points by just using action surge instead of warlock spells. You might actually come ahead of the warlock. Double fireball annihilates a lot.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases