Gaming Families

Mrs Shadowlight

First Post
So when Joshua Dyal announced the birth of his little Logan (congrats again by the way) I noticed a lot of people out there had kids.

My question is, how many of you play with them and how old were they when you first introduced them to the game? (I figure at least old enough to not choke on dice/stick them up their noses)

Did you modify the rules?

caudor

Adventurer
Mrs Shadowlight said:
So when Joshua Dyal announced the birth of his little Logan (congrats again by the way) I noticed a lot of people out there had kids.

My question is, how many of you play with them and how old were they when you first introduced them to the game? (I figure at least old enough to not choke on dice/stick them up their noses)

I have two kids (daughter age 17/son age 16). I started playing D&D with them about 8 years ago and they both enjoy playing. My son seems to have the strongest interest though. My daughter is at that worrying age where 'boys' and other teenage concerns will occasionally pull her interest away. Anyway, I do play with them both.

Last edited:

Mrs Shadowlight said:

My son is 8 and my daughter is 12 (almost 13). They both started playing two years ago (I think).

I think my son enjoys making characters almost more than playing the game itself. He constantly makes new characters, and then wants me to run quick battles--often against my characters from other games that he doesn't play in. :) He also makes all of his characters brothers--even if they are different races. This had led to a lot of half-brothers and "cousins" all adventuring across Greyhawk or Faerun.

Elf Witch

First Post
When my son was a teen ager and we were fighting a lot there were only a few safe topics one was gaming the other was Trek.

Now at 25 we often play together and he is getting to run a Dragonlance game and I will play in it.

I have four daughters ages 11, 7, 5, and 15 months. My oldest has played in some D&D games, and she sometimes runs her mother's character if our weekly game has started and my wife is not yet home from work, but she doesn't have the patience to sit down and read the Player's Handbook. The other two are too young to understand most of the terms in the Player's Handbook, although they often sit and watch the games.

As a prelude to someday having a family D&D game, we play HeroQuest together once a week. The girls can see the relationship between it and D&D, and yet they don't have to go through the lengthy process of making a character or struggle to understand a bunch of spells. I figure in another couple years, either of the oldest will be able to handle a D&D game.

The 15-month-old likes to sit and roll Daddy's giant dice over and over and over. She also likes to make off with Daddy's plastic D&D miniatures, so Daddy has to keep them on a very high shelf. :D

Richards

Legend
I have two sons, 19 and 17, and we've been playing AD&D/D&D together for 9-10 years now. Before that, I played Hero Quest with them for about a year or so to "get their feet wet."

Johnathan

MojoGM

First Post
Djeta and I are trying to teach our dog, Monty, to play but he just eats his character sheet and tries to steal the dice :) .

kengar

First Post
My daughter is still a bit young to game (5 1/2 mo.) but the people I sometimes play with in a Kalamar campaign have two daughters (4 & 10). The 10-year plays sometimes but can easily lose interest if she gets a phone call, etc.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Barendd Nobeard said:
My son is 8 and my daughter is 12 (almost 13)...He also makes all of his characters brothers--even if they are different races. This had led to a lot of half-brothers and "cousins" all adventuring across Greyhawk or Faerun.

You think he's trying to tell you something? :)

Rel

Liquid Awesome
My wife and I both game (though it is a rare thing for her the last couple years). My daughter is only 2 but I'll be trying to bring her "to the dark side" as she grows older.

So far my wife has put the kibosh on my attempts to develop Little Bunny Foo Foo: The Bopping as an early RPG for my daughter. But I'm patient.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases