Gaming Families

Henry

Autoexreginated
You know, Rel, you need to get in gear and publish that thing. Your wife can't argue with a Published Author. :)

(Yeah, I know you already are, but this is little Bunny Foo Foo - this is important! ;))

Nightchilde-2

First Post
I have two daughters, one's 8 one's 1 1/2. Obviously, the 1 1/2 year-old doesn't game. My 8-year old doesn't either, but she's expressed interest. I might work up a less complex character sheet and create her a character and play with her.

My wife plays with the group twice a month.

As far as rules changes go, I'd probably just make it less complex, and with more simple "dungeon crawl" storylines that didn't involve a lot of intrigue.

Though she does have a superhero thing going, so Mutants & Masterminds might be the way to go with her....

Mrs Shadowlight

First Post
Southern Oracle said:
As a prelude to someday having a family D&D game, we play HeroQuest together once a week. The girls can see the relationship between it and D&D, and yet they don't have to go through the lengthy process of making a character or struggle to understand a bunch of spells. I figure in another couple years, either of the oldest will be able to handle a D&D game.
I picked HeroQuest up at a garage sale this summer for 2 bucks. I'm going to have to try it with my five year old and see how he does. The box says ages 10-adult. Do you think a 5 year old could handle it?
Southern Oracle said:
The 15-month-old likes to sit and roll Daddy's giant dice over and over and over.
That is the cutest thing I've ever heard. And definitely not a choking hazard. Has Daddy started the Pavlovian training of cheering and giving her treats whenever she rolls a 20? :)

armac

Long Live the Legion!
Well, after reading the GenCon threads, I have a recommendation for
gaming families... Don't get Piratecat to DM for you! :D

armac

Garmorn

Explorer
I have an 18 year old that games. We let her join us at the gaming table when she was round 8, but she was actualy intrested before that. Sometimes I think it would have been better if we had other families with kids her aged that also gamed. She would somethimes complain because she felt that some of the adutls did not want her there but tolerated her because of us.

I know Quickbeam -- another Detroiter -- used to run simplified Star Wars games for his boy, who is about Spencer's age. If I recall, he was only about 6 or so at the time. I haven't yet tried to do anything like this, but I think I could have a lot of fun with my two oldest, as long as I kept their particular tastes in mind (as opposed to running games I like, which is a notable failing of mine as a DM...)

Ferret

Explorer
I have no children but my brother (I think) likes it but it isn't 'cool'. My two sisters don't like the complexity of it.

Remove ads