Sneak Peek At Ghosts of Saltmarsh Maps

Here's a sneak peek at some of the maps to be found in the upcoming D&D Ghosts of Saltmarsh, courtesy of WotC's Twitch stream.

Here's a sneak peek at some of the maps to be found in the upcoming D&D Ghosts of Saltmarsh, courtesy of WotC's Twitch stream.

ghost_saltmarsh.jpg

And Dyson Logos, one of the cartographers for the book, has shared some of his work which will be appearing!

D1WNe3OWsAU8xwR.jpg

D1WNe3NWoAIjD-j.jpg

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I think the black & white maps are good as they’re something that we as DMs (and amateur map-makers) can aspire to emulate for our own creations.

Hussar

Legend
I have to admit, I don't really like the Dyson Logos maps. I'm sorry, I just don't. Some of them look good, but, I'd much rather have full color maps. I play online and having these black and white line maps just doesn't do it for me. Compared to what you can do, a la those map links above, these line drawn maps are not to my taste.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I love/hate the Dyson maps. I love them as a DM reference when they are not being shown to players. Very easy to read and run the adventure in. But if you want to use them as a battlemap, they are disappointing. Luckily, within weeks of the book being released, I expect that there will be artists releasing full-color digital battlemap versions.

Bolongo

Herr Doktor
I think you've made a mistake or misunderstood something here.

While the town map is new, the rest are not. They're just straight up scans out of a copy of U1.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter

While the town map is new, the rest are not. They're just straight up scans out of a copy of U1.

Ah, well Dyson has nailed the classic style then, because I certainly thought he’d contributed those! :)

Parmandur

Book-Friend

No, they showed the black and white maps on Spoilers & Swag and credited Dyson Logos. The originals were blue scale, not black and white.

Last edited by a moderator:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

Well Dyson Logos says he did them. I’m inclined to believe him.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM

I thought so, too. So I pulled out my original copies of the module to compare. The details are almost identical down to the contents, size, and number of each room. But there also enough subtle differences to realize that the Dyson maps are, in fact, not just scanned copies of the originals.

Either way, I find this disappointing. The Saltmarsh series has always been one of my favorites from the beginning. Even though I don't play 5e, I had actually considered pre-ordering this one, which is something I rarely do. But seeing the original maps and a lot of the same text reprinted has changed my mind. I don't need a reprint of what I already own and can easily convert to whatever system I prefer to use.

At least with previous products rehashing old modules, there seemed to be a little more creative effort and a new spin on things. I guess this is why I am not part of the target audience for this edition. But so close! I do hope the new players will enjoy this one.

Remove ads

Remove ads