Sneak Peek At Ghosts of Saltmarsh Maps

Here's a sneak peek at some of the maps to be found in the upcoming D&D Ghosts of Saltmarsh, courtesy of WotC's Twitch stream.

ghost_saltmarsh.jpg

And Dyson Logos, one of the cartographers for the book, has shared some of his work which will be appearing!

D1WNe3OWsAU8xwR.jpg

D1WNe3NWoAIjD-j.jpg

Bolongo

Herr Doktor
I thought so, too. So I pulled out my original copies of the module to compare. The details are almost identical down to the contents, size, and number of each room. But there also enough subtle differences to realize that the Dyson maps are, in fact, not just scanned copies of the originals.

Huh. I mean, they even have the artifacts typical of scanning an old copy (some dirt, weak lines, and the like).

But if you say so.

That's really disappointing, I agree.

Bolongo

Herr Doktor
Well Dyson Logos says he did them. I’m inclined to believe him.

I didn't mean that anybody was lying. I just thought you'd used the wrong pictures.

But another poster has made a close analysis and says they're very slightly different from the originals, so I'll believe it.

That just leaves me very, very disappointed. Dyson is a talented guy, I've paid for his maps in the past. Why would WotC set him to essentially tracing over old stuff?

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I didn't mean that anybody was lying. I just thought you'd used the wrong pictures.

But another poster has made a close analysis and says they're very slightly different from the originals, so I'll believe it.

That just leaves me very, very disappointed. Dyson is a talented guy, I've paid for his maps in the past. Why would WotC set him to essentially tracing over old stuff?

Most likely because a new photoshopped version of the maps can be blown up to higher resolution when necessary than just scanned copies usually can.

Rhineglade

Adventurer
No that is incorrect. The original U1 series wasn't set in any particular game setting. It was later placed in Greyhawk.

Text from the actual print: "On the WORLD OFGREYHAWKª map, Saltmarsh is placed in the southernmost part of Keoland, at the western edge of hex U4/123."

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
Text from the actual print: "On the WORLD OFGREYHAWKª map, Saltmarsh is placed in the southernmost part of Keoland, at the western edge of hex U4/123."

How many more threads must we dispense with this misconception? There is literally exponentially more guidance on how to set Princes of the Apocalypse in Dark Sun than that.

Saltmarsh, like many classic adventures, were designed to be setting agnostic. That many of those provided throw-away guidance on how to set the thing in Greyhawk does not change that.

I love/hate the Dyson maps. I love them as a DM reference when they are not being shown to players. Very easy to read and run the adventure in. But if you want to use them as a battlemap, they are disappointing. Luckily, within weeks of the book being released, I expect that there will be artists releasing full-color digital battlemap versions.

I agree with you on this. I do love them while running tabletop adventures for their simplicity and ease of use. But, yes, they certainly aren't pretty, which is a drawback at other times, and which lessens their value for those who run online games...

How come the ocean is on the wrong side to be Sword Coast. :)

Outside the fact that, as others have mentioned, it's setting agnostic, it could be placed on the Sword Coast on a bay or estuary. After all, Baldur's Gate's shore is on the south side of the city as well, and it's on the Sword Coast, just on the north bank of a river estuary...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Huh. That is an interesting question. If you wanted to place this in the Sword Coast, where would you?

"The Styes" from Dungeon actually looks to have suggested Coromyr's southeast coast as a FR suggestion: they can make a FR suggestion that is not the Sword Coast.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases