D&D General Does anyone know where I can get 1.5 inch squre grid Fantacy battle maps?

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
I have been looking around for some 1.5 x 1.5 inch square grid battle maps for 2 reasons.

1. When I play D&D on inch maps they get so crowded you can't see the terrain much when fighting as well as over hang conflict between crowded figures. (partially because I like spearmen for unskilled guards goblins or otherwise)

2. I also play mage knight and the figures make good D&D mini's except for the 1.5 inch bases.

Having a 1.5 inch grid would let me through out a mix of 1 inch bases and 1.5 inch bases without conflict and generally seeing more of the map with I am not using too many mageknight mobs. The problem is only Hero clicks uses 1.5 inch square grids that I know of and those maps are modern day terrain with cars and light posts not Fantasy needed for mageknight and D&D. I have been looking around and all I have managed to find is some failed kick starters and print your own maps. I really would like to get something like the wizards of the coast roll latex maps. They are good quality art and sturdy reusable maps. They are just 1 inch instead of 1.5 and are mostly camps and open terrain. I would like some dungeons, small towns, pubs, and sure a few open terrain maps. (of course it they had low light, light obscuring terrain, heavily obscuring terrain, blocking terrain, hindering terrain, and elevated terrain borders on the 1.5 inch squares that would be awesome but I am guessing no one is taking the maps that far. I don't even see it with the 1 inch maps. Though you can usually guess some of them for D&D.)

Anyone know where I can gets some of these? Am I out of luck?

Last edited:

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Get digital maps and scale them up by 150% before printing? The chance of finding something pre-made seems remote.

I was going to recommend Vivyx but I see you’re in Japan...

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Get digital maps and scale them up by 150% before printing? The chance of finding something pre-made seems remote.

I was going to recommend Vivyx but I see you’re in Japan...

I second this recommendation. After years of Chessex, dungeon tiles, home made terrain, and battlemaps printed on large-format printers and plotters, I decided I wanted to spend more of my time on prepping the story and save some money. I had Collabrewate build a case for flat-screen I bought (e.g. https://www.collabrewate.com/blog/2018/3/6/portable-tv-case-tabletop-games).

I use RealmWorks for running games in person. I know that Fantasy Grounds, Map Tools, and other software do a better job quickly scaling maps, but I prefer how RealmWorks organizes content and like its content and map reveal features. I can resize the maps I display to any scale I want on the fly with a simple slider control.

But I could also just use any free image viewer an scale as needed. If the image had grid lines, you don't need it to be exactly to 1":5' scale.

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
I second this recommendation. After years of Chessex, dungeon tiles, home made terrain, and battlemaps printed on large-format printers and plotters, I decided I wanted to spend more of my time on prepping the story and save some money. I had Collabrewate build a case for flat-screen I bought (e.g. https://www.collabrewate.com/blog/2018/3/6/portable-tv-case-tabletop-games).

I use RealmWorks for running games in person. I know that Fantasy Grounds, Map Tools, and other software do a better job quickly scaling maps, but I prefer how RealmWorks organizes content and like its content and map reveal features. I can resize the maps I display to any scale I want on the fly with a simple slider control.

But I could also just use any free image viewer an scale as needed. If the image had grid lines, you don't need it to be exactly to 1":5' scale.

That's awesome and if I had a clear fiber class cover with a 1.5 inch grid on it I could just adjust until they match or use and image without a grid and get it to about the right scale for my figures and call it a day... unfortunate while I GM, we rotate GMs and my place is small so when its my turn I got to someone else's house and I have to haul what I need myself. I don't seem me hauling a TV table down 3 flights of stairs, finding a way to put it in my tiny car, and up to at my friends house.

Make not mistake, that's awesome and I wish it was an option for me. However, a map that rolls up work way batter for my current situation. That said I did save the link. Maybe I get a bigger place in the future and that becomes an option.

MNblockhead

That's awesome and if I had a clear fiber class cover with a 1.5 inch grid on it I could just adjust until they match or use and image without a grid and get it to about the right scale for my figures and call it a day... unfortunate while I GM, we rotate GMs and my place is small so when its my turn I got to someone else's house and I have to haul what I need myself. I don't seem me hauling a TV table down 3 flights of stairs, finding a way to put it in my tiny car, and up to at my friends house.

Make not mistake, that's awesome and I wish it was an option for me. However, a map that rolls up work way batter for my current situation. That said I did save the link. Maybe I get a bigger place in the future and that becomes an option.

One reason I went with the Collabrewate case is that is it pretty portable. It has handle and can be carried from room to room or from home to game store/friends house pretty easily, especially if you go with a smaller screen size. It is not fully encased on the bottom, so you still have to take care, but I've seen people take screens in no case at all, lay them down and put a clear plastic cover on it. My case gives quite a bit more protection and than that, and is a lot more convenient. I can have a roller tool box with books and minis in one hand and carry the display in the other. The main issue with DMing outside my house is minis. If I went with Fantasy Grounds and digital tokens, I could just take my laptop bag and display as I have all the book on my laptop and phone through DnD Beyond. All my adventure material is in Realm Works.

But I love my minis and VTTs all seem to involve more prep work than I want to bother with. I could see buying an adventure through Roll 20 or Fantasy Grounds that has all the map prep and tokens pre-created and configured, but for now, with my current campaign, I'm happy with my setup.

MNblockhead

Yes! I'm so excited with my new toy that I forgot to recommend this.

One of the best things I've ever did is create measure sticks for gridless play, using the instructions from DMs Craft: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTT1ZU5pDBg

Then I bought some polyester felt gaming mats that are gridless. I got fairly generic and reusable terrain patterns. The ones I bought are from Ceri design, through their kickstarter.

But there are a number of companies who offer similar products, one that I missed, that looks interesting is gaming is RPG Tablecloth.

But you don't even need terrain or a battlemap with gridless. Or even minis. You can use rocks or bottlecaps for characters and monsters and use books, rulers, pencils, erasers, etc. to represent terrain features. As long as you have your handing measuring stick, you can keep things nice and tactical without spending money on minis, terrain, and battlemats.

Remove ads