Stirges have cemented themselves as my favorite D&D monsters at this point...

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Just so many amazing memories of stirge fights. Mostly related to other party members trying to hack them off others. Again last night they have a classic in my S&W game.

So they come across a chamber that is a trap. When three of them enter the floor begins to fall 10' per round and as a heavy gas begins to pump out of the ceiling to drop down into the lower chamber that is forming. So one of the guys at the bottom tires to throw a rope up, as the cleric tries to throw one down. At this point the bard sticks a torch through the doorway of the room. Well that ignites the gas and boom. blows the rope being thrown up away and makes the one that is already thrown down there 50% likely to break as it is on fire. So the monk, a karate man as he will tell you, grabs the burning rope and tries to climb since he is immune to regular fire. Of course the rope breaks and he falls but sticks the landing karate man style. More gas is dropping all the time and saves are being made and failed by those trying to work ropes down to the people in the room, which fell a total of 60 feet before stopping. They detonate more gas with a torch.

The hulking dwarf fighter/cleric ties a rope around him and they lower down their last ropes. The bard starts playing music....which draws skeletons though they are turned and flee. So they detonate some more gas and get a rope down there, but not before one of the henchmen who was helping with the ropes got a lungful and goes falling over the edge. The monk at the bottom tries to catch him so i say roll 4d6 under your STR. He rolls 3 6's and a 2 and pow, that is damage and now he realizes that he was trying to catch a corpse but he is now in a pile. Well after blowing up more gas and taking more damage they realize the gas has slowed but appears to be picking up steam so they have to work fast. The dwarf is going to haul this round and they are helping which leads to a group of stirges surprising them.

So one sinks its straw into each of the PC up there and the others are flying around attacking. Well the dwarf ignores his and figures he can take it rather than stop hauling the Fighter up. So the cleric says he is going to get his off with a TJ Hooker style shoulder roll and fails his DEX check badly, which leads to him laying down in a heap with a angry stirge under him jammed in deep. The key was the bard says hes going to slice the one off him with a knife, I tell him don't roll a 1. So he does. Then rolls max damage to himself. The table was rolling at this point. He goes down with 2 stirges still in him at -3 HP. The other cleric also stays down from blood loss since they could not win initiative and that angry one did more damage. They dragged one fighter up at this point and he kills a few of them. But he can't attack the ones on other people without danger. And the dwarf is hauling up the magic user. Finally the MU gets up and if he can win initiative he can sleep them all. Well they lose initiative again and I roll max damage on the blood loss on the bard so he's dead. I roll on the human cleric and he's dead while the dwarf is at 1 HP after another max damage blood roll. But sleep goes off the stirge all fall asleep. I told them the ones that just crawled off the two large raisin looking things were so fat they were going to sleep anyway.

Final tally is the trap tied them up long enough for the stirges to get in there and kill 2 PC, while a henchmen died from the trap and everyone was pretty damaged due to explosions and henchmen falling on them. Its amazing what a swarm of 1-4 HP monsters can do to a 4-5th level party in the right situation.

This goes along with the time they tried to knock the stirge off one PC's head with a warhammer. Again a 1 was rolled.

I just like it when I hear, "well 1/3rd of the party just died but man that was memorable."

Celebrim

Legend
Not my favorite but very high up there.

One of the things I like about stirges is their ability to stay relevant over a large range of levels. You can throw a stirge at a party at 1st level, but they truly scale up with numbers.

They're even nastier under my house rules than normal because I have a 'clinch' maneuver and stirges have improved clinch which makes them really hard to hit once one of them is on you (they're using your own body as cover). Once you hit the point that a swarm of stirges is no longer so much of a problem you can keep them relevant through concealment and terrain, and at even higher levels by giving them templates - I'm personally fond of air elemental and fire elemental templated stirges.

We seem to have similar taste in traps as well. I like traps that provoke a lot of party teamwork and cause damage over extended periods, because I want a trap to be an encounter and not just ticking hit points off of your character sheet.

Other monsters I adore:
Mephits
Gibbering Mouthers
Wererats (Now that I think about it, I have not had enough wererats in this campaign.)
Manticores

rounser

First Post
At christmastime you can get into the spirit of things and rename stirges as humbugs. Same stats with a constant humming sound. PCs who comment "Bah, humbug!" get bonus XP.

Last edited:

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Not my favorite but very high up there.

One of the things I like about stirges is their ability to stay relevant over a large range of levels. You can throw a stirge at a party at 1st level, but they truly scale up with numbers.

They're even nastier under my house rules than normal because I have a 'clinch' maneuver and stirges have improved clinch which makes them really hard to hit once one of them is on you (they're using your own body as cover). Once you hit the point that a swarm of stirges is no longer so much of a problem you can keep them relevant through concealment and terrain, and at even higher levels by giving them templates - I'm personally fond of air elemental and fire elemental templated stirges.

We seem to have similar taste in traps as well. I like traps that provoke a lot of party teamwork and cause damage over extended periods, because I want a trap to be an encounter and not just ticking hit points off of your character sheet.

Other monsters I adore:
Mephits
Gibbering Mouthers
Wererats (Now that I think about it, I have not had enough wererats in this campaign.)
Manticores

I can't take credit for the dungeon, other than making the gas explosive. That was in Rappan Athuck so it was probably Bill Webb.

When running stirges even with miniatures I always have them flying around in between the PC kind of swarming so it does make them a bit harder to hit without hitting your "buddies". That never seems to stop the guys from taking Babe Ruth cuts though. Nasty little buggers and my Rappan Athuck is infested with them.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Rot Grubs!

Hit them with that last session too! They found a pit trap with a dessicated hobbit down in it. So they take the karate man, as he calls himself, and after tying him off lower him down to get the belt off the body. Well he can't get it lose without touching the body so he gets annoyed and just grabs it so they can pull him up. I'm shocked at this foolishness but you have to go with what the players tell you. So they haul him up and he's got triple rot grubs in him. So after a round of confusion they put torches to him. So they are torching while healing and the one cleric got overzealous and gave him an extra round with the torch for good measure...only to have one jump on him. So they had to start torching him as well. It was great and the cleric was pretty much menacing the monk with a torch for the rest of the session.

Celebrim

Legend
I've always had a soft spot for rust monsters. They're just so darn adorable. And April paladin tears bring May flowers.

The "Paladin"* in my group is wearing armor made from the hide and scales of an adult sea dragon and has a rust proof mithril Morningstar, so would probably end up Hoovering up most or all of the XP from an encounter with rust monsters, no tears involved.

*(Actually Champion of Aravar, God of the Dead, with the Guardian and Travel portfolios, but that is so much incomprehensible gibberish, so settle for "Paladin" because functionally that's what he is.)

Remove ads