Back after about 29 years

Saffer

Villager
Hi

I last played Dungeons and Dragons in the late eighties, if I recall 2nd Edition AD&D. Then life happened, our group went our separate ways and that was the last of it. Last week, on a whim I bought the 5th Edition Players Handbook, Dungeon Masters Guide and Monster Manual. In two weeks time I DM my first game with my teenage kids, the next generation of players.

I have not been able to put the books down, its feels like I have come back home, back to the Yawning Portal Inn. So much has changed, yet everything still feels the same, which is just perfect.

Hello everyone.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Welcome to D&D 5e!

Here are some resources you may find useful as you prepare to DM your first game:

How to Adjudicate Actions in D&D 5e
The Case for Inspiration

I also strongly recommend that you forget everything you know about running and playing AD&D 2e when running and playing D&D 5e. Much has changed both in terms of mechanics and in the approaches that best fit the game in its current form. Setting aside assumptions and approaches from other games will be very helpful in getting your head around D&D 5e. The system won't fight you and the outcomes will be more positive. For anything you find yourself doing as you DM (or play), ask yourself "Am I doing this because it is appropriate to the game I'm playing now or is it a habit I'm bringing from the past into the 21st century?" If it's the latter, then I suggest giving it a good hard look and seeing if it serves your play experience or is getting in the way of the game being everything it can be. I learned this the hard way years ago.

Good luck!

dave2008

Legend
Welcome to the community! I also got back into D&D by tech to my sons (but that was back in 4e). It is a great way to get back into the game - have fun!

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Hi there and welcome! Just fair warning, I have been known to bite. :)

Seriously though, I am also an older game along with my DM, but the other two players are about 1/2 our age! Love most of 5E, so I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Remove ads