Perception should be an intelligence proficiency - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Quote Originally Posted by TaranTheWanderer View Post
    Wizards tend to be naturally smarter then most at trivia they arent specialized in. Im not sure every wizard should be good at every knowledge skill. I could see someone who specializes in one focus, like spellcasting, might not have a lot of time to learn other things outside their field.
    The problem is that the combined knowledge of two 8 intelligence barbarians is be going to be roughly comparable to a single 16 intelligence wizard in a trivia contest assuming all three don't have any proficiency in knowledge checks. I know there are plenty of things that don't make sense in 5e, but for me that's too far.

Other than the time required to copy spells there is nothing to suggest that learning wizardry takes a long time. In any game with multiclassing, characters become 1st level wizards with no more effort than any other class, and all classes accomplish this with no significant effort.

Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

Quote Originally Posted by snickersnax View Post
    The problem is that the combined knowledge of two 8 intelligence barbarians is be going to be roughly comparable to a single 16 intelligence wizard in a trivia contest assuming all three don't have any proficiency in knowledge checks. I know there are plenty of things that don't make sense in 5e, but for me that's too far.

Other than the time required to copy spells there is nothing to suggest that learning wizardry takes a long time. In any game with multiclassing, characters become 1st level wizards with no more effort than any other class, and all classes accomplish this with no significant effort.
    It really depends on how you resolve said trivia contest.
    XP iserith gave XP for this post

Titan (Lvl 27)

Quote Originally Posted by FrogReaver View Post
    It really depends on how you resolve said trivia contest.
    Right. The DM is not obligated to ask for an ability check if he or she does not think the outcome of the task is uncertain.

Quote Originally Posted by snickersnax View Post

A 16 Int wizard will know about 20% more than an 8 Int barbarian, given a passive knowledge check. The wizard can also know more obscure facts because they can hit a dc 20+ while the barbarian can only get a dc 19.

Traditionally, wizards were older than most adventurers. I think in old editions, wizards were 40+ before they finished their training and started adventureing. The recent editions got rid of minimum ages. I think Raistlin from dragonlance was young (mid 20s?) but he was the youngest to have ever finished his tests.

How people justify multi classing really depends on dm and campaign. Some dont allow multiclassing. I usually require a player to have a good reason. Maybe theyve had a magic book for the last few years and only just recently learned to decode it. Or maybe we hand waive one year passing. I know lots of dms dont care about that kind of thing though.

Quick Reply Quick Reply