Some combat house rules to peruse or ignore

S'mon

Legend
I was thinking of adding advantage on all melee attacks vs. opponents that do not have a melee weapon or proficient natural weapon ready.

As in, if they do not pose a threat you, and you not need to worry about parry/riposte and can make pretty easy melee attacks.

Classic (RC) D&D had a rule like this, I think it was +4 to hit vs unarmed opponent. It makes sense but I think in practice it's best kept to attacking the unfortunate Commoners, rather than worrying about whether the Wizard PC has a dagger in hand. I'd also count a shield as preventing advantage on the attack.

The idea of all these is to work off the existing system to give some additional options, and a nod to versimilitude, without affecting regular gameplay. I'm pretty confident of all of them except maybe the Grappled Casting rule, which is designed more for lower-magic settings.

Campaign House Rules - Combat

The following incur opportunity attacks if done within enemy reach:
Shooting a bow, except a crossbow
Reloading a bow, gun or similar weapon
Standing from prone
Picking up an object (such as a dropped weapon) from the floor and standing back up

The following use up half a character's movement:
Standing from prone (as per RAW)
Picking up an object from the floor and standing back up
Mounting or dismounting a mount.

Grappled Casting: A character who attempts to cast a spell while Grappled must make a CON save at DC 10 or else lose the spell. If Restrained or Grappled & Prone, the save is with Disadvantage.

Mobbing: When multiple attackers of the same size category surround their opponent (ie are within 5'), the 5th+ attackers that round have Advantage on their attacks.

Disarming: Attack is with Disadvantage (& can't attempt a disarm if already at disadvantage); if it hits then target takes damage & makes a STR or CON save (defender's choice) at higher of DC 10 or half the damage dealt to not drop object. Save is with Advantage if using both hands.
These look reasonable to my eye. Personally I'd make some tweaks or clarifications:

Any ranged weapon other than a crossbow or thrown weapon incurs the opportunity attack. (So slings, blowguns also included.) You still suffer disadvantage on the attack roll, even with a crossbow or thrown weapon.

Picking up an object in your space, I probably wouldn't rule that it provokes, and I'd say that it could be done with an attack or object interaction. Picking up one 5ft away from you probably would. (And definitely if its in an opponent's space.)

Clarify whether casting when grappled requires the concentration roll for any spell, or just those with Somatic components, or Material components that aren't already in hand.
I might allow an opposed grapple check instead actually if it is just the Somatic and Material components.

Disarm - Remove the damage component. Dealing damage with a disarm is the Battlemaster's shtick. Everyone else has to choose between trying to take out their weapon, or just kill them.

S'mon

Legend
While I'm not too fussed about the Battlemaster disarm maneuver which is a lot more powerful, I reckon I will change disarm attack to:

Disarming: Attack is with Disadvantage (& can't attempt a disarm if already at disadvantage); if it hits then target takes half damage & makes a STR save at the higher of DC 5 or damage dealt (maximum DC 20) to not drop object. Save is with Advantage if holding object with two hands.

I don't think it should do any damage. A shove doesn't do damage and, to me, this is a similar maneuver. And there's no down side if you let it do damage. They have to choose the pro for a con. Otherwise you'll have people trying it just to see if it works and go, 'at least I did half damage.' And then you have to figure in Crits.

Since I haven't seen anyone mention it... the DMG does have its own optional Disarm rules. I'd compare any rule being considered to that to make sure it is more effective at achieving your desired goal.

Remove ads