[+] Star Trek Discovery (Fan) Thread

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This is designated a [+] thread, so you can use the other thread to talk about how much you hate Discovery. This thread is for fans who want to take about what's happening in the show.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Important question: when will Spock shave off his beard?

Since Anson Mount is only contracted for one year, I'm guessing Pike leaves at the end of this season. That'll be a shame, as I really like him. He's more Kirk than Kirk!

What are your current prevailing theories? What's (who is) the Red Angel?

Is Section 31 dead now? Their HQ is basically a tomb. I assume they have a few ships out there, but I don't get the impression they have a fleet or anything.

That minefield... could they have shot the mines?

I loved the fistfight on the space station. There was one moment where it went a little too John Woo for me, but otherwise it was a really well shot, well choreographed fight. One thing Star Trek has always suffered from is the most godawful, slow, wooden fistfight choreography. This was really good.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I would pay cash money to watch Anson Mount in several more seasons, or in his own spinoff. So perfect. Probably the best addition to Season 2.

And Anson Mount starring Pike Enterprise with Spock aboard. It would be so good! Basically it would be TOS, but with modern filming.

Yeah, I would absolutely pay money for that.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Is Section 31 dead now? Their HQ is basically a tomb. I assume they have a few ships out there, but I don't get the impression they have a fleet or anything.

Well, they can't be *completely* dead. Section 31 first appears in DS9. So, they survive in some sense at least long enough to try to recruit Dr. Bashir.

MarkB

Legend
What are your current prevailing theories? What's (who is) the Red Angel?
I have a feeling it'll turn out to be Tilly, but I'm not sure why I think that.

It could also be Stamets. They established his ability to perceive non-linear time, which could be a very useful talent for the Angel.

Well, they can't be *completely* dead. Section 31 first appears in DS9. So, they survive in some sense at least long enough to try to recruit Dr. Bashir.
Logically, it would make sense for them to be working through how Section 31 went from being a legitimate, if unconventional, arm of Starfleet in this era to the nigh-mythical entirely-covert entity it had become by DS9. Current events seem like a perfectly reasonable stepping stone along that path.

Hussar

Legend
Well, considering they're launching a Section 31 show, it would be hard for it to be dead. But, I can see the show being about Section 31 trying to root out this AI Control. Would backfill a LOT of canon about ST really. As in why AI is barely used by Star Fleet and virtually no robots or androids (Data excepted).

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Red Angel is Burnham, but, I rather hope not. It's the easy guess and would explain why it's so linked to Spock, but, I know right now the howling we'd here from folks if it's true.

And, [MENTION=88539]LowKey[/MENTION], I too share your views of Lorca. I actually didn't like how his arc ended.

Additionally, I would LOVE a Pike/Spock Star Trek. We need to start a petition. A prequel 5 year mission!!!!

And, again, I would just like to say, Wow, this show is freaking GORGEOUS.

Hopes for season 3:

1. They go with a fairly low stakes, more episodic season with short story arcs - 1-3 episodes each - of various short stories around the Trek universe. Some exploration stuff, some larger picture stuff, that sort of thing. I would like to see that.

2. Delve into the some of the lesser known races in the show - the Gorn, the Tholians- that sort of thing.

3. Maybe something is discovered in the alien probe that died, all that information it dumped, that leads to a season long mission to retrieve whatever Macguffins have been scattered around.

Just some thoughts.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
There was a movement to save The Orville where they encouraged people to mail jars of pickles to Fox. Maybe we can start a mailing campaign for a Pike/Spock series. What should we mail? Spock ears? Enterprise? Discovery is 10 years before TOS. How many years until The Menagerie? We'll have until then for a show.

I think Anson Mount leaving was already confirmed. Unfortunately, apparantly also Rebecca Romjin was only contracted for this year. I was kinda hoping "Number One" might be the next Captain.

While I'll miss Anson Mount, so far CBS has had a good hand in casting Captains for the show. Michelle Yeoh for the Shenzou, Jason Isaacs and Anson Mount for the Discovery. And they were all pretty well written Captains (except Lorca's Make the Terran Empire Great Again stuff). So I am optimistic they'll find a good canidate for the next season as well.

Regarding the Red Angel theory - the suit's form reminded me a bit of Tilly, but of course, that doesn't have to mean much.

If I remember things correctly, Spock tried a mind meld but wasn't able to gather much/anything? No one of the established crew has telepathic ability or special anti-telepathic training. I suppose Burnham's weird mind-connection to Sarek could count, but it seems if it was that, it might actually be something Spock could recognize.
Maybe it's Zora - of course, where did she get a humanoid body? It's not like they are randomly floating through space...

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Until Game of Thrones returns, this and Gotham are the two shows I really look forward to. I watch Discovery at the very first opportunity every Friday.

I appreciate shorter seasons as there’s less filler, but sometimes I wish a show could be longer.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases