If an NPC is telling the truth, what's the Insight DC to know they're telling the truth?

Bawylie

A very OK person
You seem to be conflating "gotcha" DMing with rolling a skill check vs declaring intention. If PC 1 states "I'm going to attempt to climb the wall" vs rolling and athletics check to climb the wall, my response will be the same. If they're alone as I specified in my scenario the PC may be trapped. If they're together I'll tell them that as they start to climb it's significantly easier than expected; it's up to them to let me know if they stop climbing.

For me, rolling and stating what skill you're using is enough to tell me what you are attempting as a PC 90% of the time. That 10% of the time where it's not? I'll ask for clarification. But neither approach has anything to do with adversarial DMing.

I don't see what not having your sword has to do with anything. I would no more tell a player that they didn't have their sword than tell them they die of constipation because they never mentioned using the latrine.

I’m not conflating those things but now that you bring it up, doing it this way does have the added benefit of AVOIDING gotchas.

So there’s another compelling reason, if you’re looking for one.

As for the sword, I’m sure you can work out why it’s relevant that what’s said and done in game is an important part of play. If not, assume I rolled a diplomacy check to convince you. My reasons don’t matter. I 20’d my diplomacy check.

Oofta

Legend
I’m not conflating those things but now that you bring it up, doing it this way does have the added benefit of AVOIDING gotchas.

So there’s another compelling reason, if you’re looking for one.

As for the sword, I’m sure you can work out why it’s relevant that what’s said and done in game is an important part of play. If not, assume I rolled a diplomacy check to convince you. My reasons don’t matter. I 20’d my diplomacy check.

Sorry, it didn't work. A 20 is not an automatic success which is something I've stated repeatedly. I don't care if people roll a 20 if there was no chance of success. From a narrative perspective they tried to do something they thought had a chance to succeed and it didn't no matter what the result was. If the PC does a religion check to recognize a symbol, it doesn't matter what they roll if no one has ever seen it before. The PC still wracked their brain trying to remember what they had been taught. That to me is much better than me telling the player what their PC can or cannot attempt.

So I'm still baffled as to why it matters or why people get insulted/mad when I try to get clarification. Or how your answers address my question.

Bawylie

A very OK person
Sorry, it didn't work. A 20 is not an automatic success which is something I've stated repeatedly. I don't care if people roll a 20 if there was no chance of success. From a narrative perspective they tried to do something they thought had a chance to succeed and it didn't no matter what the result was. If the PC does a religion check to recognize a symbol, it doesn't matter what they roll if no one has ever seen it before. The PC still wracked their brain trying to remember what they had been taught. That to me is much better than me telling the player what their PC can or cannot attempt.

So I'm still baffled as to why it matters or why people get insulted/mad when I try to get clarification. Or how your answers address my question.

Who is telling the player what they can or cannot attempt? And who is insulted or mad?

I think I might see the source of your confusion. I’ll let you two work it out.

Oofta

Legend
Who is telling the player what they can or cannot attempt? And who is insulted or mad?

I think I might see the source of your confusion. I’ll let you two work it out.

I just don't understand your responses, or how the game actually plays any differently. And yes, I get the impression my questioning bothers you, why else the digs/insults? What does "I'll let you two of you work it out" even mean unless you're saying I'm somehow contradicting myself? :confused:

If a PC picks up a die rolls a 20 and says "I use athletics to climb the wall" I may tell them that it doesn't work because the wall is simply smoother than it looks, or what looked like decent hand-holds crumble. How is that any different than "I try to climb the wall using my climbing gear" and you responding that it doesn't work other than the player wasted a roll of a D20?

Satyrn

First Post
Sorry, it didn't work. A 20 is not an automatic success which is something I've stated repeatedly. I don't care if people roll a 20 if there was no chance of success. From a narrative perspective they tried to do something they thought had a chance to succeed and it didn't no matter what the result was.

I feel like you just inadvertantly zinged yourself.
[MENTION=6776133]Bawylie[/MENTION] jokes about he - the real life human poster - rolling a 20 on his check to explain* himself, and you responding by saying he had no chance of making you understand . . . it's the kind of post I'd make in your shoes.

*Yeah, technically, he said "convince" instead of "explain" but still . . . comedic license on my part.

Oofta

Legend
I feel like you just inadvertantly zinged yourself.

[MENTION=6776133]Bawylie[/MENTION] jokes about he - the real life human poster - rolling a 20 on his check to explain* himself, and you responding by saying he had no chance of making you understand . . . it's the kind of post I'd make in your shoes.

*Yeah, technically, he said "convince" instead of "explain" but still . . . comedic license on my part.

Hey, I'll be the first to admit that sometimes I'm dense. But there's still the repeated assertion that if you allow rolling first a 20 is an auto-success (I've never said that) and that somehow the conversation we're having has anything to do with a DM requiring you to state everything you do such as picking up your sword. Or that the DM can't simply ask for clarification if intent is unclear. That letting people roll first changes how the flow of the game is significantly changed.

I'm just not seeing the connection. If this is simply a matter of preference and style, that's fine. Say so.

Arvok

Explorer
I was an investigator for 12 years and now I supervise a team of investigators. Civil/insurance fraud, generally, sometimes criminal. Our ability to “detect” lies is no better or more reliable than a coin toss. The very best of us are right 55% of the time.

You do realize that 55% is about what you'd expect from the 5e rules? If you're both proficient in the relative skills (Insight for the investigator, Deception for the liar), it would take someone with a 14 or 15 Wisdom ('genius level' wisdom) to be 55% accurate against someone with a 12 or 13 Charisma (above average but not all that exceptional). Or, to put it another way, an investigator with equal ability scores (Wis vs. Cha) would need to be 5th level to be 55% accurate detecting lies against a 1st level liar.

Real world lie detecting doesn't tell people for certain if someone is lying, it only gives the investigator a good or bad feeling about whether or not to believe him. The game equivalent would be the DM rolling the die for you, asking what your modifier is, then telling you "he seems to be telling the truth" or the opposite. In the real world you don't know if you rolled a natural 17 or a 2.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Can we not have another one of these threads, please? I think it’s very well established at this point that some of us prefer for our players to state a goal and approach and not make any checks unless prompted to do so, and others find that preference completely baffling. I think those of us who prefer this method have been as thourough as we can be in explaining the reasons we do it this way, we have done so repeatedly, and all it ever leads to is hundreds of pages of whatabouts and argument over who’s “gotchaing” who. It’s fine if you don’t like our way of running the game, what exactly do you think you’ll gain from this line of inquiry that you didn’t the last time a thread got derailed by it?

Bawylie

A very OK person
You do realize that 55% is about what you'd expect from the 5e rules? If you're both proficient in the relative skills (Insight for the investigator, Deception for the liar), it would take someone with a 14 or 15 Wisdom ('genius level' wisdom) to be 55% accurate against someone with a 12 or 13 Charisma (above average but not all that exceptional). Or, to put it another way, an investigator with equal ability scores (Wis vs. Cha) would need to be 5th level to be 55% accurate detecting lies against a 1st level liar.

Real world lie detecting doesn't tell people for certain if someone is lying, it only gives the investigator a good or bad feeling about whether or not to believe him. The game equivalent would be the DM rolling the die for you, asking what your modifier is, then telling you "he seems to be telling the truth" or the opposite. In the real world you don't know if you rolled a natural 17 or a 2.

I think, if you want to take that position, then the insight check is determining the character’s certainty that the NPC is lying/truthful, but says absolutely nothing about whether that NPC is lying or not.

I’ve seen that in play. It works. I just don’t care for that, particularly, because I think it’s up to the player to determine what the character thinks and how they feel - not the dice. But, I mean, it’s not a hill I’m dying on. I just don’t care for it.

Oofta

Legend
Can we not have another one of these threads, please? I think it’s very well established at this point that some of us prefer for our players to state a goal and approach and not make any checks unless prompted to do so, and others find that preference completely baffling. I think those of us who prefer this method have been as thourough as we can be in explaining the reasons we do it this way, we have done so repeatedly, and all it ever leads to is hundreds of pages of whatabouts and argument over who’s “gotchaing” who. It’s fine if you don’t like our way of running the game, what exactly do you think you’ll gain from this line of inquiry that you didn’t the last time a thread got derailed by it?

Sorry about that. :blush: I guess I keep thinking there's a simple answer, and there's not.

As far as the OP, there's really no way of knowing 100% someone is telling the truth as they know it without magic.

Remove ads