If an NPC is telling the truth, what's the Insight DC to know they're telling the truth?

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
If my player states something along the lines of "I don't believe them, I think they're lying. Can I make an insight check?" I will let them even though I know the NPC is telling the truth. I also won't ask for any more clarification of what they're doing, to me it's obvious.

It's my understanding that you would not have them roll because you know the NPC is telling the truth. Perhaps you've somehow "broadcast" that they're telling the truth. You may also object to them asking to make a specific skill check (sorry, I don't remember everything you've said).

If that's misrepresenting what you would do, I apologize. If it's not, then I understand what you're saying I just don't run my game that way.

Yes, I'd have to say you broadly misunderstand the playstyle. Firstly, I wouldn't adjudicate that statement at all. It's not the player's position to suggest mechanics, but the DM's. It's the player's prerogative to declare actions, and "make an Insight check" is not an action. I prefer clear goal and approach, so I can fairly adjudicate the action. I'll touch on this more in a moment.

Secondly, what I as GM know about the situation does not result in no check. My job, as GM, is to take the player's declared action (preferably with clear goal and approach), and then determine if the outcome is automatically successful, automatically fails, or is uncertain. If uncertain, my job is to call for an appropriate check and set a DC. Then, after that is determined, I narrate the results and the play cycle begins again. To do this, I have a few core principles:

1. Assume the PCs are competent -- this means no stupid gotchas because the player didn't precisely state an approach that the PC wouldn't do.
2. Don't be a dick -- this relates to 1, but also means I'm not looking to make PCs (and their players) look bad in my game. It's a heroic game, they should be heroes.
3. Don't ask for a check if there is no consequence for failure -- this is a bit more nuanced than a first read would seem. It doesn't mean automatic success, although it could, it also means don't waste game time asking for checks that will just be repeated until successful. If you ask for a check, and it fails, something bad should happen as a result. If you can't think of anything, or if nothing bad fits the situation, you can just narrate taking a few moments and succeeding.
4. Foreshadow danger/conflicts-- this doesn't mean I need to set things up sessions in advance, but if there is a danger or conflict, don't hide it. If the NPC is lying, describe their behavior so that it clues the players in that something is wrong here. If there's a trap, describe a difference in the scene that indicates danger -- odd scratches, discolorations, ash, previous victims, etc. If you do this, you will not waste time with players being uncertain and acting paranoid by checking everything for gotchas.

Following the above, I cannot resolve your question at all. This is because:

A) there's a lack of an action declaration involving a goal and approach. I have a goal, but how are they doing this? Insight is a mechanic, not an action. This can be as simple as "I observe them for signs of lying" to more complicated, or even well off the insight path such as, "I yell at him I think he's lying and he better start telling me the truth!" prompted an Intimidate check.

B) there's a lack of fictional positioning to the example to allow me to successfully adjudicate what's at stake. Is the person the player's are questioning going to help the players? If so, then a failed check may result in them becoming angry at being questioned and withdrawing their assistance. ("I see you don't believe me. Fine, I shall take my business elsewhere.") Perhaps the players are risking loss of face because this is a prominent personage and they're in public? ("<GASP> [PC NAME] just insulted the Baron's son by suggesting he's lying!"} Or, maybe, this person is a run of the mill merchant and nothing is at stake, in which case, sure, I just narrate a success so we can move to more interesting scenes (and I make a note to not frame scenes lacking importance). But, there's none of this in the example, so I can't say.

To sum up, I ask for approach and goal not because I'm looking for a magic phrase to win the puzzle I've set, but because I need those to properly decide what mechanic applies and to narrate the outcome in a compelling manner regardless of success or failure. What I know as GM is not the determining factor, it's an input into the matrix.

I try very hard to frame the PCs into conflicts, ie. situations where there's something at stake. We elide the stuff that's not at stake. For example, during downtime, players can buy anything they want from the PHB at book cost and sell anything they have and 50% value, they just need to inform me they are doing so. But, if they want a better price, they can find a seller/buyer and negotiate one, but then run the risk of a higher cost due to shortages or even running afoul of the authorities (Surprise! Stolen goods!). If I ask for a roll, there's a consequence for failure. In this regard, it's always best to find a way to not have to roll (which is pretty easy most of the time). For shopping, one PC has established a good relationship with a merchant by doing favors for them, and so they automatically have a 25% shift in cost in their favor by going to this merchant, but that merchant's stock is determined randomly and will only buy 1,000 gp of merchandise a week.

Oofta

Legend
Yes, I'd have to say you broadly misunderstand the playstyle. Firstly, I wouldn't adjudicate that statement at all. It's not the player's position to suggest mechanics, but the DM's. It's the player's prerogative to declare actions, and "make an Insight check" is not an action. I prefer clear goal and approach, so I can fairly adjudicate the action. I'll touch on this more in a moment.

You've been clear on that. Just like I've been clear that I disagree. I don't see why it would be a big deal, the player has communicated what their intent is. I would no more say "no you can't say what skill you are using" any more than I would tell them they couldn't use a specific skill.

To be clear: I don't care if that's what the rules say, if someone asks to make skill check X or if they can use ability Y I allow it. The only exception is if they are trying to do something totally inappropriate. For example there's no way an strength (athletics) check is going to allow them to read a magic book. On the other hand they may be able to justify using Intelligence to do an intimidate check because they know that the NPC is going to be influenced by a superior intellect (although I'd ask for some clarification on details on what they're saying).

Secondly, what I as GM know about the situation does not result in no check. My job, as GM, is to take the player's declared action (preferably with clear goal and approach), and then determine if the outcome is automatically successful, automatically fails, or is uncertain. If uncertain, my job is to call for an appropriate check and set a DC. Then, after that is determined, I narrate the results and the play cycle begins again. To do this, I have a few core principles:

1. Assume the PCs are competent -- this means no stupid gotchas because the player didn't precisely state an approach that the PC wouldn't do.
2. Don't be a dick -- this relates to 1, but also means I'm not looking to make PCs (and their players) look bad in my game. It's a heroic game, they should be heroes.
3. Don't ask for a check if there is no consequence for failure -- this is a bit more nuanced than a first read would seem. It doesn't mean automatic success, although it could, it also means don't waste game time asking for checks that will just be repeated until successful. If you ask for a check, and it fails, something bad should happen as a result. If you can't think of anything, or if nothing bad fits the situation, you can just narrate taking a few moments and succeeding.
4. Foreshadow danger/conflicts-- this doesn't mean I need to set things up sessions in advance, but if there is a danger or conflict, don't hide it. If the NPC is lying, describe their behavior so that it clues the players in that something is wrong here. If there's a trap, describe a difference in the scene that indicates danger -- odd scratches, discolorations, ash, previous victims, etc. If you do this, you will not waste time with players being uncertain and acting paranoid by checking everything for gotchas.

Following the above, I cannot resolve your question at all. This is because:

A) there's a lack of an action declaration involving a goal and approach. I have a goal, but how are they doing this? Insight is a mechanic, not an action. This can be as simple as "I observe them for signs of lying" to more complicated, or even well off the insight path such as, "I yell at him I think he's lying and he better start telling me the truth!" prompted an Intimidate check.

Yep. Still get it. Still disagree. If the NPC was lying, the players know I'd ask for an insight check opposed by the NPC's deception check (potentially with a lot of modifiers). If I don't ask for the insight check, the player knows the NPC is telling the truth. The consequence of automatic success is that the PCs have the ultimate truth detector.

As far as "I observe them for signs of lying" vs "I think they're lying can I make an insight check", in either case they've declared that's what they are doing. They just didn't phrase it like you wanted it.

B) there's a lack of fictional positioning to the example to allow me to successfully adjudicate what's at stake. Is the person the player's are questioning going to help the players? If so, then a failed check may result in them becoming angry at being questioned and withdrawing their assistance. ("I see you don't believe me. Fine, I shall take my business elsewhere.") Perhaps the players are risking loss of face because this is a prominent personage and they're in public? ("<GASP> [PC NAME] just insulted the Baron's son by suggesting he's lying!"} Or, maybe, this person is a run of the mill merchant and nothing is at stake, in which case, sure, I just narrate a success so we can move to more interesting scenes (and I make a note to not frame scenes lacking importance). But, there's none of this in the example, so I can't say.

Why does it matter? The player has communicated that they don't believe the NPC is telling the truth. They're studying them closely, paying attention, whatever an insight check means to that player.

To sum up, I ask for approach and goal not because I'm looking for a magic phrase to win the puzzle I've set, but because I need those to properly decide what mechanic applies and to narrate the outcome in a compelling manner regardless of success or failure. What I know as GM is not the determining factor, it's an input into the matrix.

Except you just said that you wouldn't accept anything phrased as "I think they're lying can I make an insight check".

I'll just repeat one last time. To me, making a skill check is the game mechanic implementation of the PC trying to do something. It's not my job to tell them they can't attempt to climb the sheer wall even if I know they cannot succeed.

Back to the OP. I don't to tell my players either directly or by omission of an opposed skill check that an NPC is telling the truth. I may tell them the NPC seems honest. I may remind them they have no reason to doubt this PC. But let them know with 100% certainty that the NPC is telling the truth? Nope. Not my style.

So can you stop accusing me of just not understanding your position? I get where you're coming from. I'm not even saying I wouldn't enjoy playing at your table because I have no clue. I understand your position, I just disagree. If that bothers you so much you can always block me like Iserith did because I would never agree that his style on this subject is the one true way.

Last edited:

Except you just said that you wouldn't accept anything phrased as "I think they're lying can I make an insight check".

It would seem you really don't fully grasp what [MENTION=16814]Ovinomancer[/MENTION] is saying if you think that is an example of "magic words" (or perhaps "anti-magic words" as it were).

Try this:

https://theangrygm.com/five-simple-rules-for-dating-my-teenaged-skill-system/

I know from reading your posts that you are perfectly happy with your way of running things so perhaps you won't bother giving it a chance. But really, I'm just trying to share something that I've found valuable and that might actually give you (or someone else) insight into running 5e in a way that isn't relying on ingrained habits from older versions of the game.

And no, the irony of quoting Angry is not lost on me when I'm trying my best to be nice. He's certainly a big jerk in his presentation and comment responses (that's his shtick after all) but his logic for running games successfully is pretty tight, IMO.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
You've been clear on that. Just like I've been clear that I disagree. I don't see why it would be a big deal, the player has communicated what their intent is. I would no more say "no you can't say what skill you are using" any more than I would tell them they couldn't use a specific skill.

To be clear: I don't care if that's what the rules say, if someone asks to make skill check X or if they can use ability Y I allow it. The only exception is if they are trying to do something totally inappropriate. For example there's no way an strength (athletics) check is going to allow them to read a magic book. On the other hand they may be able to justify using Intelligence to do an intimidate check because they know that the NPC is going to be influenced by a superior intellect (although I'd ask for some clarification on details on what they're saying).
This confuses me. You've asked why we run the way we do, and asked for us to explain it to you (apparently again), and here you are treating this as if I'm trying to convince you that my way is better. I'm not. I'm answering your questions with how I would run them. If you feel the need to insist that your way is better, you can do that without me.

For the record, I also allow off ability skill checks. There's a conversation happening at my table, where the skill used is negotiable via the approach. The players aren't locked into the first thing they say, and they're welcome to petition for a different use if they think it better fits their approach. But, I call for a check, they don't ask for one. They don't want to, because failing a check means a consequence they don't want.

Yep. Still get it. Still disagree. If the NPC was lying, the players know I'd ask for an insight check opposed by the NPC's deception check (potentially with a lot of modifiers). If I don't ask for the insight check, the player knows the NPC is telling the truth. The consequence of automatic success is that the PCs have the ultimate truth detector.
I don't understand this. Are you attributing this outcome to my style, or yours. It seems odd that you would play this way, given your previous statements, and I certainly don't have this problem, so either you're misunderstanding (again) or I'm very, very confused by what you're trying to say here about your play.

As far as "I observe them for signs of lying" vs "I think they're lying can I make an insight check", in either case they've declared that's what they are doing. They just didn't phrase it like you wanted it.
Well, it is a ridiculously simple example, so complaining that I'd except simple approaches seems like a Catch 22. The approach does not always need to be complicated. However, I'm going to disagree with you that "I roll Insight" is equivalent to "I observe for signs of lying." The outcomes are limited by the latter to what can be observed, while the former may involve back and forth testing or the like. I don't know what you mean your character is doing by "I roll Insight." Perhaps, at your table, there's an assumption that "I roll Insight" means "I observe for signs of lying," but I don't have that assumption. The character could, for example, engage in a probing line of questioning, looking to find inconsistencies in the story, and that would be an approach that also calls for an WIS (Insight) check but has a very different range of outcomes than observing for tells. Approach matters to outcome. I get that you disagree, but I also think you're stuck on resolution of the mechanics, not actual possible outcomes, because if you really think that the possible outcomes between "I observe for signs of lying" is the same as "I engage in a probing line of questioning," then we're at a hard impasse in the ability to communicate.

I think that when you say "I disagree" it's shorthand for "I don't play that way." That's fine, but it's not really disagreement, and it's orthogonal to understanding the points I'm making.

Why does it matter? The player has communicated that they don't believe the NPC is telling the truth. They're studying them closely, paying attention, whatever an insight check means to that player.
The range of possible negative outcomes does not matter to you? So, you'd be fine with "GASP! They've insulted the Duke's son! Call the Guard!" as an outcome to observing a merchant for tells? I doubt it, which means you either didn't read what I wrote and have reflexively kneejerked a response to the first line, or you're really not understanding what I said at all. Which, do you think?

I'll just repeat one last time. To me, making a skill check is the game mechanic implementation of the PC trying to do something. It's not my job to tell them they can't attempt to climb the sheer wall even if I know they cannot succeed.
And here you demonstrate that you've failed to understand anything at all. Firstly, I never deny an action declaration. The authority to declare actions is solely in the player's arena. Your character can attempt to scale the sheer wall all you want -- you will fail automatically if it's beyond your ability. Where you think that I refuse to allow such an action declaration is beyond me. What I do is deny any request to make a check. Requiring a goal and approach is not magic phrasing -- I'm not looking for anything specific at all for how the player wishes they're character to try to resolve the issue. They don't have to guess the perfect approach key to fit my solution lock. I need the goal and approach so I can determine what mechanics apply and also what fictional outcomes are possible. I, quite often, don't even have a solution to a challenge in mind when it's posed to the players -- their goals and approaches will shape the story moving forward not because it achieves my pre-planned outcomes but because they change the fiction with their approaches and goals. A merchant lying might actually be a result of an approach and goal, not the challenge.

Take the sheer wall, for instance. "I roll a climb check" is roughly equivalent to an approach of just physically climbing, so, yes, these are pretty close. But, if I ask for an approach instead of just nodding and narrating failure to the climb check, the player may be prompted to provide a more detailed approach, like, "I break out my climbers kit and climb the wall by pounding pitons in as handholds." Okay, that changes things, that's possible, but it will be slow and noisy. I have options other than assuming and narrating failure to an asked for check. The player may succeed, in which case they realize their goal, or they may fail, which now, because of fictional positioning, gives me options from "you slip and fall halfway up and barely catch yourself, but your arrows are falling out of your quiver. What do you do?" to "you reach the top alright, but the noise and time you spent pounding in pitons means there's three guards waiting for you, roll initiative." The amount of things I'd have to assume for the player to get to either of those results from "I roll a climb check" is huge and abusive, but such results are quite easy to achieve from a stated goal and approach.

For me, the fiction is malleable to the goal and approach. There isn't treasure hidden under the mattress waiting for the perfectly phrased approach to be found, but rather they're treasure hidden in the room somewhere and the approach to searching for it will find it on a success in a location that makes sense for the approach -- if you search under the bed as your approach, and succeed, well, then, there was treasure hidden under the mattress, aren't you the lucky one! If you fail, there's something much nastier under the mattress and no treasure. Or the treasure isn't under the bed, but the time you took looking means there's a wandering monster check. There's a consequence to failure. If there isn't, if the dungeon is clear and we're mopping up details, then "I search the room" finds treasure and we move on to more interesting events.

Back to the OP. I don't to tell my players either directly or by omission of an opposed skill check that an NPC is telling the truth. I may tell them the NPC seems honest. I may remind them they have no reason to doubt this PC. But let them know with 100% certainty that the NPC is telling the truth? Nope. Not my style.
I don't, either, as you continue not to understand. If the honesty of the NPC is trivial, then I'm not wasting time on it. If it's not, then there's a consequence for failure that will be based on the fictional positioning and the approach. In other words, if it's in automatic success, nothing was at stake so why should anyone at the table care if there's no uncertainty. If people at the table care because something is at stake, then something is at stake for the roll. There's no need to worry about metagaming and player uncertainty because it does not even come up -- it's either trivial and elided, to the benefit of play, or it's not and something is placed at stake, which means a success is a success (goal realized) but a failure changes the fiction in a negative way and the uncertainty doesn't matter because play has moved on from that point to a worst situation.

So can you stop accusing me of just not understanding your position?
As soon as you actually understand we can move past this.
I get where you're coming from.
You do not.
I'm not even saying I wouldn't enjoy playing at your table because I have no clue. I understand your position, I just disagree.
You do not understand, and your disagreement is based on you playing a different way, not disagreement with how I play. How could you disagree if you don't even understand it?
If that bothers you so much you can always block me like Iserith did because I would never agree that his style on this subject is the one true way.
That's just plain whingy. Be better.

Look, I don't care if you play differently from me. As I remarked to someone else, three years ago I played pretty much exactly as you do now, and made many of the same arguments you're making. I did not understand other playstyles (maybe ask me sometime how Blades in the Dark plays, it's even more different) at that time. I agreed with you quite a bit. But, over the last three years, I've had a breakthrough in understanding and changed my play habits. Not because they're better, they're just different, but because this play fixes a lot of the issues I've had and really never could diagnose because I lacked the understanding. That doesn't mean you're wrong, or misinformed, or whatever, you're not. How we play games is pretty idiosyncratic to groups of players, and that's outstanding. I'm ecstatic that you play differently and enjoy it, and I fully understand your play (because it was recently mine). I get it, I really do -- the necessary shift in core concepts to grasp the difference in playstyles is hard; it involves altering some very sacred cows. It was very good for me, and it's good for some others that also really enjoy playing this way, but it's not universally good. So, you do you, but if you keep asking why other people play the way they do and then get huffy because you feel the explanation is attacking your play... well, that's really on you, man, not us.

Hussar

Legend
What this sounds like to me is that the DM isn't presenting compelling content. Just a lot of repetitive chests and chambers. That would make me bored as well, regardless of how actions were adjudicated. Some DMs aren't great at presenting exploration challenges.

At the risk of seeming too confident, I bet you wouldn't do this in my games. You wouldn't have time to as you'd be too busy boldly confronting deadly perils to pick up your phone. You may bristle at being asked not to make unprompted rolls, but then you may quickly see that success without a roll is better than leaving it to chance, especially when you get hit with the meaningful (often painful) consequences of failure every time you don't hit that DC. You may then notice that the approach is no slower than what you're currently doing and in many cases faster (and the game experience overall is faster).

I can honestly say you are too confident. I've played in your style before. I've done it. Honest. I've given it a whirl and I'm not interested.

Just as a comparison, in my last session, 3 hours and we ran 4 combats, 5 social interactions and several explorations. Granted the characters are only 3rd level, so that makes combat faster, but, this is also online over voice, which is almost always slower than tabletop. Just for reference, I'm doing the tail end of Chapter 3 (____ Manor) and the first two encounters of Chapter 4 of Dragon Heist (Autumn). Oh, and we leveled up characters in the middle of that.

So, no, you can be as confident as you like. I am equally confident that no, you are not running at our pace.

------

So, here is a list of my issues with your style of play and why I don't do it. Note, this is purely my opinion and is not meant to apply to anyone else but me.

• Changing DC's based on player statements results in the players not being able to predict how their skills work. @Ovinomancer's example of the poisoned door is a perfect example of that. The results I get have nothing to do with the skill I use but rather whatever narration I give as a player. Which in turn, results in gaming the DM rather than playing the game.
  • It places the DM squarely into the spotlight. Since the DM must judge the quality of the narration (is it plausible or not, is it a good idea or not) and that judgement is based solely on the DM's knowledge, it makes the DM much more visible than I'm comfortable with as a DM. I don't want my players asking me how to do something. I want them to just do it.
  • Many DM's, myself included, are very poor at judging risk/reward. If the reward is less than the risk then there is no reason to do it. Yet, almost every time, DM's will put risks in place that are greater than the possible reward, making it a suckers bet. Which in turn results in the players simply stopping engaging those systems in favor of systems that they can control - i.e. spells. It's something that always flies straight up my nose.
  • And, with all due deference to [MENTION=97077]iserith[/MENTION], it runs too slowly for my tastes. It bogs the game down in minutia that I am totally not interested in. I don't care that there's a contact poison on the handle of the door. I want to know what's behind the door. To me, that's the interesting part. So, bypassing the trap as quickly as possible is a win in my books. Resulting in the player saying, "I check the door, X Investigate, do I find anything?".

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
It would seem you really don't fully grasp what [MENTION=16814]Ovinomancer[/MENTION] is saying if you think that is an example of "magic words" (or perhaps "anti-magic words" as it were).

Try this:

https://theangrygm.com/five-simple-rules-for-dating-my-teenaged-skill-system/

I know from reading your posts that you are perfectly happy with your way of running things so perhaps you won't bother giving it a chance. But really, I'm just trying to share something that I've found valuable and that might actually give you (or someone else) insight into running 5e in a way that isn't relying on ingrained habits from older versions of the game.

And no, the irony of quoting Angry is not lost on me when I'm trying my best to be nice. He's certainly a big jerk in his presentation and comment responses (that's his shtick after all) but his logic for running games successfully is pretty tight, IMO.

I hadn't read that before, and just skimmed it now, but, yes, it appears to be in the same line as my play. Thanks!

Hussar

Legend
Just read that Angry DM blog you posted [MENTION=6921763]DM Dave1[/MENTION]. Needless to say, no, not interested. The first rule turned me off and the rest just went completely downhill from there. Fun read, but, unusually for me since I usually do agree with Angry, here I think he totally missed the mark.

Locked door with something chasing? Players just tell me the skill they are using. End of story. Picks the lock or bashes down the door. No need to tell me how or what they are doing. Player Diplomacy's the guard and gets a 26? Fantastic, they get past the guard.

When the player is throwing dice at a problem, the player is telling you that the player has zero interest in engaging your game element and just wants to move on. You can put as much lipstick on the pig that you like, but, at the end of the day, I prefer to listen to my players and move on to the stuff they actually want to do.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
The Angry GM is like the ultimate embodiment of that Big Lebowski quote “you’re not wrong, you’re just an :):):):):):):).” He’ writes some of the best, most practical GMing advice I have ever read. But he is a real dick about it.

Hussar

Legend
How about this: The Insight DC to tell that someone is telling the truth is 20 minus their persuasion score.

A quick and easy way to do it. I like it. Perhaps adjusting the DC based on how big the truth is. "My name is X" is probably pretty low but, "I'm here from the future to tell you how to stop Baron Von Evilton" is probably a tad higher. :D

Remove ads