D&D 5E The 14th Level Abjurer Tradition Feature IS Nucking Futs. Right?

ParanoydStyle

Peace Among Worlds
Okay, so I don't feel completely qualified to post on this board in general as I haven't really read through Mordenkainen's/Volo's/Xanathar's guides with any kind of thoroughness. But I just ran into something in core that seems amazingly OP. I was working on Dragonrun and I was feeling iffy about letting Mages take an Initiate Metamagic upon reaching Level 15 that would grant them advantage on saving throws against spells but in the end I did it. Then I was looking at the Wizard (since my Dragonrun Mage can pick from five of the Arcane Traditions) and I got to the end of the Abjurer specialization:

SPELL RESISTANCE
Starting at 14th level, you have advantage on saving throws against spells.
Furthermore, you have resistance against the damage of spells.
- Mearls, Crawford, Schwalb, Cordell et al.

At first blush, that is CRAZY!!!! At level 14 and on, it seems to me that AT LEAST 50% of the attacks/damage the party suffers are going to come from spells. So that's basically advantage on saves against AND HALF DAMAGE FROM about half of the things that could potentially hurt you. Super OP, right?

Am I wrong, or is this cheese as delicious as it seems?

(Incidentally, in Dragonrun, advantage can actually stack to form small dice pools, so a 15th Level Mage who specialized in Abjuration and took the Shielding Initiate Metamagic upon reaching Level 15 would have roll three dice on all saving throws against spells, taking the best result of the three. But that's neither here nor there really.)

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
It's definitely one of the better ones, but really across the board subclass capstones are pretty good.

And it's not without precedent - compare an Oath of the Ancients Paladin. At 7th level they have two 10' radius auras, one that grants +CHR to all saves (not just against magic) and one that gives Resistance to all magic damage. And they increase in size at later levels. At least the Abjurer only gives their ability to themselves.

And really, with fewer HPs gained per level even with Resistant spells will still hurt. And since it's just spells, things like dragons breath and the like aren't included.

CTurbo

Explorer
Yes it is very strong and is one of the several reasons why Abjurers are considered one of the strongest Wizard schools.

I think the 10th level Improved Abjuration feature is just as strong and more under-rated.

ParanoydStyle

Peace Among Worlds
I "upgraded" my human wizard Kaine En'Mornd to an Abjurer from a Diviner. At 4th level he's a long long long way away from hitting his subclass capstone but damn, it is looking pretty good from a distance.

And really, with fewer HPs gained per level even with Resistant spells will still hurt. And since it's just spells, things like dragons breath and the like aren't included.

Well keep in mind, Abjurers at that level also have easy access to energy resistance, and have had access for a while to spells that shut down melee attacks (I really like the way shield works in 5E as a one-turn FU U Can't Hit Me Reaction). With advantage vs. spells and resistance to spells always on by default, they also most likely know spells that can nullify or mitigate most other sources of damage.

Also, the difference between the old d4 HD Wizard and the old d6 HD Wizard in terms of durability is surprisingly substantial, esp. since I can't think of a good reason not to put one of your good ability scores into Constitution.

BacchusNL

Explorer
Yeah, it's super good, but I think it's worth noting that high level casters can also get advantage vs spells from Robes of the Archmage eventually.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases