D&D 5E How to adjudicate coin counting, gathering, and item valuations - how much time taken, what skills used?

Scott Graves

First Post
Hmm... This is where you want to use ten sided dice to roll each digit in the amount of coins. Instead of 3d6X100 do d3,d10,d10. All the better to make math more annoying!

I'd say carrying the merchants scale is the fast way. Carry pouches of relatively similar size, sweep in handfuls of the same color coins (worry about light quality here...) weigh each bag, make a note on the bag of the weight and toss it into the pouch of holding. Keep track of the individual bags "Gold 3 lbs 10 ounces" "Silver 5 lbs 3 ounces" Copper... Who want copper, it costs more to count than it's worth. Electrum should be melted down and cast as sling rounds... Platinum gets hand counted.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Yes, merchant scales make more sense as there would not be a great deal of standardization, especially in troves with coins from multiple realms and ages. What will matter is the weight of precious metal. But against, role-playing that is kinda boring. I just assume they will do it during rests and downtime. But I make sure to impose a cost in time to gather the loot. Mostly handwave it. I probably estimate time needed on the high end of what most DMs do, but on the low end of what it would take in reality.

My kids are home for the rest of the week because of parent-teacher conferences. I'm tempted to (1) have them count them, divided by type and then (2) dump on a hard surface like the kitchen floor and see how quickly they can pick them all up and show them in a bag.

It would be hard to get the smaller amount spread around than just shoveling from a pile so extrapolating from a few hundred coins dumped on a floor should allow for a decent conservative estimate.

I'll report my finding here.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I don't see any specific feats that help, other than skilled and prodigy, which are helpful in that they allow you to take more skills.

Don't forget the bard's Jack of All Trades and the rogue's Expertise and Reliable Talent. Both of those can boost a PC's Investigation bonus (or History, Religion, etc.) considerably.

the Jester

Legend
This is all stuff I handwave. "It takes you about an hour to gather and count the loot." It's like uneventful travel- there's no need to make it take more than a few seconds of real time unless you're somehow advancing another agenda or world-building.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
When I re-did my skill list for my campaigns, I added 'Commerce' as a skill. Now proficient characters can add that to any INT, WIS or CHA checks I call for if it has anything to do with collection, appraisal, haggling or any other financial query.

MNblockhead

This is all stuff I handwave. "It takes you about an hour to gather and count the loot." It's like uneventful travel- there's no need to make it take more than a few seconds of real time unless you're somehow advancing another agenda or world-building.

Which is what I'm doing for the most part. Is is the "it take you about an hour" is the important part. Time to gather loot is important in my current campaign due to random encounters and the like. To keep things simple, I think I'll typically look at the nature of the loot and determine if it will take an action, 10 minutes, 30 minutes, or an hour. These are the important lengths of time to determine how many random encounter checks or whether you can sneak in and out with loot, avoiding an encounter.

Assessing the value of artwork and special items, however, remains an important skill. If you are limited by time and encumbrance, you'll have to make hard choices on which loot to take and which to leave. But they don't get XP for such items until they sell them (convert to coin), so it don't really need to track the value as it is ultimately determined in the market. It leads to some antiques roadshow surprises and disappointments.

MNblockhead

When I re-did my skill list for my campaigns, I added 'Commerce' as a skill. Now proficient characters can add that to any INT, WIS or CHA checks I call for if it has anything to do with collection, appraisal, haggling or any other financial query.

Hmmm... is this a new skill on everyone's sheet or is this a feat someone can take. If a skill, wouldn't it be associated with a specific attribute, i.e. Intelligence. So you would call for an Intelligence (Commerce) check?

Seems to make more sense as a feat. Anyone with this feat can add their proficiency bonus to any commerce-related skill check, such as check called for when appraising items or bargaining to buy or sell something. But it seems like most players wouldn't want to spend a feat on it.

Instead, I would probably make it a feature of a Background. Someone with a "Merchant" or "Fence" background can use this "Commerce" ability.

How, exactly, is it used in your game? What does your skill list look like and how does it operate compared to the standard 5e skill list?

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Hmmm... is this a new skill on everyone's sheet or is this a feat someone can take. If a skill, wouldn't it be associated with a specific attribute, i.e. Intelligence. So you would call for an Intelligence (Commerce) check?

Seems to make more sense as a feat. Anyone with this feat can add their proficiency bonus to any commerce-related skill check, such as check called for when appraising items or bargaining to buy or sell something. But it seems like most players wouldn't want to spend a feat on it.

Instead, I would probably make it a feature of a Background. Someone with a "Merchant" or "Fence" background can use this "Commerce" ability.

How, exactly, is it used in your game? What does your skill list look like and how does it operate compared to the standard 5e skill list?

I already have and always will use the variant rule that does not assign attribute to skill. So I re-did my skill list for all players that got rid of some skills that are unnecessary for this variant rule use, and added in new ones that had space available. So for instance... Acrobatics was removed from my list, and players instead make Dexterity (Athletics) checks. Sleight of Hand was removed and players instead make Dexterity (Deception) checks. Intimidation was removed and players instead make Strength (Persuasion) checks.

Culling my skill list of the little-used skills allowed me to add in new ones for subjects and categories of things that I feel the game benefits from. One skill about handling money (Commerce) is one. A skill about the nobility and high-society (Etiquette) is another. And one about people and actions in low-society or the common folk (Folklore) is another. Then because I don't assign ability scores... how a PC interacts within that category determines what the pairing is. I tell the player which ability score is being used... they tell me if they have a skill that is applicable and how what they are doing makes the skill applicable. And sometimes I might allow for multiple skills to possibly apply.

Remembering the standard of a specific nation would be an INT check, and they could then apply Etiquette. Trying to convince a duke of something would be a CHA check, and based upon what the player does or says they might be able to apply Persuasion or Etiquette to it. Figuring out that the king's staff wizard isn't who he says he is would be a WIS check, and maybe they could apply Insight, or Arcana, or Etiquette.

I don't use feats for these things, because feats don't show up often enough to warrant these kinds of character-defining traits. Plus, no one in my games uses feats for characterization defining things, as they usually are already playing their characterizations and don't need a feat to exemplify it. If a PC is an actor, they will have already been playing as an actor and don't need to wait until 4th level to take a feat that shows it off. Likewise, if someone is good with money they aren't going to wait until 4th level to take some sort of Commerce feat. Instead, I make fiscal use a skill that allows anyone who wants it to take it from the very beginning. And obviously if you have a Background that is focused on it (say Guild Merchant), then it is an option to select when you take the Background.

For me... using money is too important a part of adventuring to not have it have a more important place in the game. And the skill list allows that importance to have a place.

5ekyu

Hero
So, ok, mostly we assume exact tallies and examinations occur most often during rests or downtime or during commercials (we ride for half a day, taking regular breaks". Those often can take advantage as multiple folks join in and unless it's something exotic, it's usually gonna fall into automatic Int checks.

In the event of a need for immediate need it's usually gonna not be a detailed study but a quick glance, so we use a Wisdon check with perception, investigation or some specific proficiency (tool) if it seems appropriate.

That said, after watching a session practically derailed by a botched magic item loot scene that just got drawn into far more chaos than it needed to be, I am certain I wont be making common loot sorting more of a role.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases