Boundless: An Excerpt From The Upcoming Drizzt Novel

Over at iO9 you can read an excerpt from Boundless, the upcoming Drizzt novel from RA Salvatore.

boundless.jpg

Split between time and two worlds, Zaknafein had always been conflicted. That inner turmoil was magnified by his inferior position as a male dark elf in the matriarchal drow society. Only his status as one of the greatest warriors—as well as his friendship with the mercenary Jarlaxle—kept him sane. When he finally perished, he was content knowing he left behind a legacy as substantial as his son Drizzt.

Except...someone isn’t ready for Zaknafein to be dead. And now he’s back, hundreds of years later, in a world he doesn’t recognize. His son’s companions are not the prideful—and bigoted—males the drow warrior was accustomed to in his previous life. Drizzt’s circle includes dwarves, elves, and, perhaps worst of all, a human wife.

Struggling to navigate this transformed new world, Zaknafein realizes that some things have not changed: the threat of demons and the machinations of a drow matron no longer content with her family’s position in the ranks of Houses. Though he has been displaced in time, Zaknafein is still a warrior. And no matter what prejudices he must overcome, he knows he will do his duty and fight by Drizzt’s side to stem the tide of darkness that threatens the Realms.

Check out the excerpt over at iO9.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
What makes a novel 5E?

I think in some novels, you can see the influence of the rules system. For instance, some of the Pathfinder novels have an alchemist as the main character, which has some pretty unique class abilities.

And now that I think about it, the original Drizzt was able to fight with two scimitars because that was a feature of the Drow in 1e; this later influenced the ranger class in 2e

TheSwartz

Explorer
The last novel was about worst thing I've ever read. I don't think I'll waste any more time reading this series (and I'd read the entirety up to this point). Simply so many other things to read that's actually worth my time.

gyor

Legend
This. There was a series of books that transitioned from 4e to 5e and told about how the companions were reincarnated in new bodies. This looks like it continues the same timeline rather than be a book set before when Drizzt was born.

It's a mix like Timeless was, some chapters are current and others explore Drizzt's Dad's history.

Valetudo

Explorer
The Drizzles books have been subpar for guite awhile now. R.A. Needs to learn how to move on, its the killer of alot of writers quality.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Dad
The Drizzles books have been subpar for guite awhile now. R.A. Needs to learn how to move on, its the killer of alot of writers quality.

Ive heard he's got this publishing contract that he will never let go of; its pretty much the niche he's carved for himself, he will probably be writing Drizzt novels until he dies, and it'll be the only thing he'll be remembered for as a writer; at least he's churning novels out... still waiting for another writer to finish The Winds of Winter ;-)

I think its smart that Wizards is focusing on its game and not novels; one reason that FR as a setting is so glutted is its novels crowding the world with meta-plot; I prefer a setting where the DM has full creative control.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases