D&D 5E Guide: D&D (5e) How to Build a Barbarian for Combat

Dausuul

Legend
Your point-buy calculations seem to be based on 3.x point-buy instead of 5e point-buy.
They're not based on 3.X point buy, either. If I recall correctly, 25 points with a cap of 18 was the official point buy standard in 3E, though 32 was a common house rule.

27 with a cap of 15 is standard in 5E.

72 with a cap of 20 has not been standard in any edition ever.

Also... Savage Attacker? When you haven't even maxed out your Strength? Seriously?

Last edited:

ccs

41st lv DM
Hmm.
I don't think there's enough of a trade off in having a 20Dex/20Con to justify dumping your Int, Wis, & Cha all to 6....
Seems like the fast track to being one of those martial type players who sit there doing nothing in non-combat situations.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Hmm.
I don't think there's enough of a trade off in having a 20Dex/20Con to justify dumping your Int, Wis, & Cha all to 6....
Seems like the fast track to being one of those martial type players who sit there doing nothing in non-combat situations.

Not to mention the fact that 8 is the lowest you can dump to with point buy.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Even putting a pin in the fact that this guide doesn't understand the basic rules for building a 5e character, this is a poorly built combat barbarian. A Single failed wisdom save, and with a wisdom of 6 you would have plenty, could incapacitate you and make you useless for combat.

It doesn't matter what your physical stats are if you can't do anything.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
The real challenge: how to build a barbarian not to be boring to play?

I must admit, I will never get tired of raging, recklessly attacking, grappling, shoving, dragging foes around, and tossing them off of a floating cloud castles.

But I also never get tired of reading Robert E Howard's Conan stories, or Joe Abercrombie's First Law books.

Still Totem warriors and Ancestral Guardians get some nice utility spells.

You are correct. I was using a custom 72 point buy system, which has largely been met with criticism. I have since altered the guide to reflect these notions.

Remove ads