D&D 5E Familiars!

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
What am I talking about? Seriously?

I am talking about exactly what I wrote in my first post of the revised spell description. If you had bothered to actually pay attention when you skimmed my post, you would know the "context or something" you seem to be looking for.

Precisely, everything was in the new spell description in my post on page one.

With no reference to that when you quote replied to me.

And yes, I definately skimmed your first post in the thread, but I also didn’t notice who it was posting that post, because I generally don’t bother looking at the tiny little name in the upper left side unless I’m considering replying to a post.

But either way, you were unclear in you reply to me.

doctorbadwolf

Well, hang on tho.

"I don't like that the familiar is a spirit rather than a normal creature of its ilk. The spirit thing is neat, but for me it's not as cool as bonding with an actual creature."

See, there is a bit of a thing here. If one wants the find familiar to be a more significant element, like a loving real creature, an actual bond, etc thrm the notion of pick up easy by feature **to me** runs afoul of that.

To me you should have both options available- a quick and easy spirit friend that you can lose and get back **or** a real creature that you gotta do some work to get, not just feature on demand.

In 5e both are available.

But let me give you an alternative perspective - no house rule needed (technically.)

Say that you fo as a find familiar bond to an actual creature- a sharing of spirits. You carry a spark of it with you.

Each time you cast familiar you are calling on the same creature - and when you "call the spirit" into one of its many shapes - you are calling out that spirit essence and shaping it as z manifestation.

So, you have the binding with real creature, the on-demand spirit forms etc, just that that real creature does not rush out to join you in risking it's life when its spirit forms do just fine.

So, somewhere, out there, is a varmint that is your shared beastie. It just cut a deal that gave you a spirit on demand and got for itself... well, that could be an interesting question.

This is good stuff. With my rogue/wizard, my Familiar is a wolf he had and my wife’s Ranger adopted after killing an undead bear. There was a litter of wolf cubs, so we took them back to her clan, and we each adopted one. Dresden adopted the runt, and sadly she wasn’t doing well. Finally, he performed a ritual that bonded her to him, turning her into a Fey creature. When she gets hurt, she appears in a part of the Feywild, and comes back when I can summon her back.

She’s currently in the form of a hawk, because we are flying around in an airship, but generally I keep her in wolf form.

In essence, it’s similar to what you describe, except we took a natural creature and used magic to make magical, and she doesn’t get killed, she gets hurt a bit and bamfs away into the shadowfell.

I always liked the idea of a familiar being a real animal but you summon an intelligent spirit to inhabit the animal. Summoning a new one means the old animal died and now you need to find a new host for your spirit.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Since we're discussing familiars, have a new addition to the roster for your dino-friendly campaigns.

Microraptor
Tiny beast, unaligned
Skills Perception +3, Stealth +4
Senses passive Perception 13
Languages
Challenge 0 (10 XP)

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The microraptor makes three attacks: one with its bite and two with its claws.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 1 slashing damage.

Claws. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1 slashing damage.

This smaller cousin of the velociraptor is capable of flight, its front and rear legs both doubling as pairs of wings.
With the DM’s permission, the find familiar spell can summon a microraptor.

5ekyu

Hero
This is good stuff. With my rogue/wizard, my Familiar is a wolf he had and my wife’s Ranger adopted after killing an undead bear. There was a litter of wolf cubs, so we took them back to her clan, and we each adopted one. Dresden adopted the runt, and sadly she wasn’t doing well. Finally, he performed a ritual that bonded her to him, turning her into a Fey creature. When she gets hurt, she appears in a part of the Feywild, and comes back when I can summon her back.

She’s currently in the form of a hawk, because we are flying around in an airship, but generally I keep her in wolf form.

In essence, it’s similar to what you describe, except we took a natural creature and used magic to make magical, and she doesn’t get killed, she gets hurt a bit and bamfs away into the shadowfell.
Nice

I

Immortal Sun

I really like this – if hits to the familiar took away from the character’s HP as a shared total (with the caveat that AOE attacks don’t affect them more than once), I think that would both provide more balance while reducing the amount of re-summoning.

I tried to write a whole class around it once, couldn't quite get it done.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
With no reference to that when you quote replied to me.

And yes, I definately skimmed your first post in the thread, but I also didn’t notice who it was posting that post, because I generally don’t bother looking at the tiny little name in the upper left side unless I’m considering replying to a post.

But either way, you were unclear in you reply to me.

Ok, I have no idea what you are talking about.

How can you not know who was posting it??? You quoted my first post (even edited the quote because it was only a bit of my post) where I detailed the revised variant for Find Familiar that we use so you must have known! And yeah you read it, but then you claim not to bother looking at who you are quoting and actually asking a question of that person. So, since you quoted me, and even asked me a question, how can you not expect to reply?

I also quoted your post, so it was perfectly obvious and clear what I was replying about, but you say there was no reference?

All I can say is it would have been so much easier for you to just write: Oh, yeah, I missed all that stuff or I was wondering if there was more or something else instead of feigning whatever it is you are trying to do.

doctorbadwolf

Ok, I have no idea what you are talking about.

How can you not know who was posting it??? You quoted my first post (even edited the quote because it was only a bit of my post) where I detailed the revised variant for Find Familiar that we use so you must have known! And yeah you read it, but then you claim not to bother looking at who you are quoting and actually asking a question of that person. So, since you quoted me, and even asked me a question, how can you not expect to reply?

I also quoted your post, so it was perfectly obvious and clear what I was replying about, but you say there was no reference?

All I can say is it would have been so much easier for you to just write: Oh, yeah, I missed all that stuff or I was wondering if there was more or something else instead of feigning whatever it is you are trying to do.

You’re quite confused.

I quoted post #14, your second post in this thread. You seem to think I quoted your first post in this thread.

In fact, I sailed past your first post without paying much attention to it or looking at who the post was by, and quoted your second post, without it ever occurring to me that the two posts had any relation to each other.

Now, your reply to me had no precedent except expecting me to have read a post other than the one I’d quoted.

Remove ads