[5e] Offensive and defensive stances

Good point. "You don’t need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn’t incapacitated, and you don’t have disadvantage on the attack roll."

So it negates sneak attack.

. . . or forces the Rogue to fight aggressively to counter the disadvantage.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)

Right. Which is not, I assume, an intended consequence of these stances to nerf sneak attack by forcing them to only expose rogues to advantage from allies of their target.

There are just too many things which interact in unusual ways for this to be wise in my opinion. Some flat bonuses and penalties would work better. I really do think this is one of those cases where the lure of simplicity and elegance is distracting from the mess it wrecks with the rules.

the Jester

Legend

Despite Sage Advice to the contrary, I, and possibly other dms, rule that if you have disadvantage, you can't sneak attack, even if that disadvantage is cancelled out by simultaneous advantage. So this will work with some dms, but is basically telling rogues that they have to offer enemies advantage against them in order to use their most fundamental class ability.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
The problem with these sorts of house rules (incl. Flanking) is that they diminish other sources of advantage and disadvantage in the game.

Cool ways of interacting with the environment and creating special circumstances just don't have the same impact when the player can just choose to gain advantage. Same with spells which grant advantage, they're just not special anymore.

Even if you give the Barbarian something else they also lose a bit of their identity. The more this sort of thing happens the more the game turns into a mush - identity is lost if everyone gets to be a Barbarian.

Thanks everyone for bringing up spells. It's definately another source I hadn't thought of (beyond gm jusgment of course).

I love the adv/disad mechanic in 5e, but the implementation could be improved i feel. It's tied to some spells, some class abilities, the gm can assign it in aplropriate situations etc. I'd prefer if they were seperated out somehow, but that's a whole different conversation.

If i were to use something like this option, i might instead use a "fighting defensively" option. Under that option they forgo the proficiency bonus for all their attacks that round to gain half their proficiency bonus to their ac. That's not too math involved and doesn't then interact with advantage and disadvantage.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases