WotC hiring software developer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Magsman (Lvl 14)

WotC hiring software developer

Here is their Tweet about it:

https://twitter.com/Wizards_Jobs/sta...02825765249024

Now let the rampant speculation commence!

Time Agent (Lvl 24)

That is a... peculiar job listing. Experience in front-end web development or infrastructure or distributed systems? Architectural design and production support? Develop services and web apps and SDKs and also support SDKs for Unity3D game developers? It seems like they're looking for one person to be an entire IT shop (on one person's salary, of course). Or else they just have no clue what they want. Considering WotC's abysmal history with electronic offerings, I suppose that's not surprising, though.

I admit that I am tempted to apply just because it's WotC... but if I pretend it's not WotC, about fifteen red flags pop up and sirens start wailing in my head. From any other company, I would look at that listing, laugh scornfully, spare a moment of pity for the fool who takes the job, and move on.

Now, if Curse was hiring for devs to work on D&D Beyond, that'd be another matter. I have been very impressed with Curse.
    XP Blue, Prakriti, 77IM gave XP for this post

Frazzled
    Dracolich (Lvl 29)

Quote Originally Posted by Dausuul View Post

I admit that I am tempted to apply just because it's WotC...
    I suspect you just failed your job interview.
    Laugh LordEntrails, 77IM, GreyLord, BookBarbarian laughed with this post

Time Agent (Lvl 24)

Now, if the posting listed experience with genetic algorithms, electromagnetic railguns, and DNA synthesis it would be really intriguing.
    Laugh Satyrn, Dausuul laughed with this post

Superhero (Lvl 15)

Name:  funny-software-developer-hourly-rate-gift-t-shirt-orange-pieces.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  92.4 KB
    XP Tormyr gave XP for this post
    Laugh Dausuul, UngeheuerLich, 77IM, LuisCarlos17f laughed with this post

Superhero (Lvl 15)

Quote Originally Posted by Dausuul View Post
    That is a... peculiar job listing. Experience in front-end web development or infrastructure or distributed systems? Architectural design and production support? Develop services and web apps and SDKs and also support SDKs for Unity3D game developers? It seems like they're looking for one person to be an entire IT shop (on one person's salary, of course). Or else they just have no clue what they want. Considering WotC's abysmal history with electronic offerings, I suppose that's not surprising, though.

I admit that I am tempted to apply just because it's WotC... but if I pretend it's not WotC, about fifteen red flags pop up and sirens start wailing in my head. From any other company, I would look at that listing, laugh scornfully, spare a moment of pity for the fool who takes the job, and move on.

Now, if Curse was hiring for devs to work on D&D Beyond, that'd be another matter. I have been very impressed with Curse.
    Well, don't forget the part where you are going to "Come join us and help redefine technology and software engineering at Wizards of the Coast!"

So in addition to doing all phases and types of development work, you will get to design their development methodology, and then select, bring up, and administer a suite of tools for them. I guess there is the advantage, though, that you don't have to argue with anyone about which source control or bug tracker to use. That's always so contentious.

EDIT: It's very odd. I looked at their other SW job descriptions and they all seem pretty normal. This one is just wacky.
    Last edited by Harzel; Sunday, 21st April, 2019 at 08:32 AM.
    XP Dausuul, Tazawa gave XP for this post

Hydra (Lvl 25)

I can see the attitudes of devs hasn't change in the past 15 years.

Mobiles and MP3 changed music industry, and internet and tablets will change RPG industry. Paper will be like collector edition videogames, and most of sold titles will be downloaded PDFs. I guess WotC's plan will be something like the open licence but in version videogame software, when the third party publishers would be like selling videogame mods.

Quote Originally Posted by Harzel View Post
    Well, don't forget the part where you are going to "Come join us and help redefine technology and software engineering at Wizards of the Coast!"

So in addition to doing all phases and types of development work, you will get to design their development methodology, and then select, bring up, and administer a suite of tools for them. I guess there is the advantage, though, that you don't have to argue with anyone about which source control or bug tracker to use. That's always so contentious.

EDIT: It's very odd. I looked at their other SW job descriptions and they all seem pretty normal. This one is just wacky.
    They used to have a cadre of enterprise architects so all the definitional work should be done. I guess they're gone?

The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

I treat software engineering like construction.

Step 1. Work out how many people you need.
    Step2. Work out how much it should cost.
    Step 3. Double step 1&2.

Alot of people skip step 3. $300 job turns into $1000+ due to scaffolding.

Quick Reply Quick Reply