The King that Crawls

ZenBear

Explorer
Thanks everyone. I keep forgetting to specify the setting, but I’m asking about the Forgotten Realms. He’s a great tragic deity for my homebrew campaign setting, but I won’t be able to use him in my story. Oh well.

dave2008

Legend
Thanks everyone. I keep forgetting to specify the setting, but I’m asking about the Forgotten Realms. He’s a great tragic deity for my homebrew campaign setting, but I won’t be able to use him in my story. Oh well.

Is there a particular reason you will not be able to use him? There are many gods and other NPCs that where not a thing in Forgotten Realms, until suddenly they where (I'm looking at you Tiamat an Acererak). You could easily create a reason for Torog to appear in the Forgotten Realms. Heck in the Dawn War Cannon his tunnels went into the shadofell as well, might they also burst into Realmspace?

UnknownDyson

Explorer

You know, you could make him an interloper deity in your FR campaign. An interloper deity is a god that has migrated to FR from another dimension/universe. See Mulhorand Pantheon (Supposed to actually be the Egyptian pantheon from our Earth), there is also the Chained God.

Last edited:

pukunui

Legend
[MENTION=83242]dave2008[/MENTION]: Tiamat’s been around in FR since at least 2e. The old Cult of the Dragon sourcebook mentions that her followers were infiltrating the cult in an attempt to take it over. The 5e Tyranny of Dragons storyline shows that they ultimately succeeded. It just took them a really long time (and multiple edition changes).

dave2008

Legend
[MENTION=83242]dave2008[/MENTION]: Tiamat’s been around in FR since at least 2e. The old Cult of the Dragon sourcebook mentions that her followers were infiltrating the cult in an attempt to take it over. The 5e Tyranny of Dragons storyline shows that they ultimately succeeded. It just took them a really long time (and multiple edition changes).

Yep I skipped 2e and 3e, so anything that wasn't 1e, 4e, or 5e is non-canon to me! ;)

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ

Yeah, Tiamat (and Bahamut) were always setting neutral and, as such, considered default for FR. It also doesn't hurt the Ed Greenwood wrote a definitive 2-part article on the Nine Hells in Dragon magazine in the 1e days (and Tiamat was the ruler of the first level of Hell at that time.

Last edited:

Taimat and Bahamut where in the (non-setting specific) 1st edition AD&D Monster Manual.

Forgotten Realms has hundreds of gods, adding one more isn't going to matter one way or the other.

dave2008

Legend
Yeah, Tiamat (and Bahamut) were always setting neutral and, as such, considered default for FR. It also doesn't hurt the Ed Greenwood wrote a definitive 2-part article on the Nine Hells in Dragon magazine in the 1e days (and Tiamat was the ruler of the first level of Hell at that time.

I would argue that setting neutral does not equal default FR. But as I've never played in FR, maybe that is just me.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I would argue that setting neutral does not equal default FR. But as I've never played in FR, maybe that is just me.
I did way back in the day... one of the group's DMs really liked the setting. When the whole Time of Troubles happened in the switch to 2e, it just soured me on the setting.

Generally speaking, if it was setting neutral, it was in the Realms—as FR was supposed to be the generic setting, replacing Greyhawk when Gygax got ousted.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases