Tall's Portal Under the Starts [DCC] - OOC- Closed

TallIan

Explorer
RG
IC

After a one shot at my newly starting game club I want to play about with DCC for a bit. I am looking at running a game at the club soon, but at the moment we only meet once a month. So I thought I might run a short game here - not that it'll be any faster.

I'm looking at 2 or 3 players to each run 5 or 3 0-level characters probably through the adventure in the rulebook and then another 1st level module, where each player will be running 2 characters.

There is no need for any prior knowledge of DCC, it loads nearly all of the complexity of the game onto the GM, but I will be learning the rules too.

Last edited:

I don't know. I'm not sure I'm into the devil may care attitude you should have for characters. At least with Paranoia, you have clones you can return as. :)

But I can give it a try, I guess. Maybe turn into an eldritch horror.

TallIan

Explorer
Char Gen is entirely random.

If there are only two of you I might go for 5 characters each. It’s on the high side for players, but the total is a bit on the low side for the adventure.

If you’re totally unfamiliar with the rules I’ll post a character creation guide here, for now I’ll give it a few more days.

TallIan

Explorer
Cool, that'll be three then.

DCC is a hack and slash centered game that tries to give a feel of old school D&D. So character mechanics are minimal. Games are supposed to start at 0 level characters, essentially just commoners and tradesmen, with players controlling several characters that are expendable. The idea being that only one or two will make it to 1st level.

Since tglassy doesn't know the game, I'll post the necessary character creation rules up here a little later. It's really just: roll abilities and profession; choose a name and alignment and you're done. Class comes at level 1 (although if you roll a non-human that decides your class).

fireinthedust

Explorer
I also was part of the open game development. I've also published a 3pp module "Wrath of the Frost Queen", though it's less of a one shot than standard DCC modules. I've played some successful pbp games with it, too! It is designed with a sense of what the author enjoys about RPGs, and that's a great way to make a game. It inspired me to try my hand at my own game, with the same idea: make the game I'd want to run/play. And it got me to try my hand at publishing modules.

There's a random generator at Purple Sorcerer games. It's got options for making up 4+ characters at a time, plus different styles of character sheets.

TallIan

Explorer
Character creation rules:

With three players I think I'll go with four characters each

Roll 3d6 6 times and apply to the following attributes in order.

Strength
Add your modifier to melee attacks and damage rolls
Agility
Affects AC, ranged attack, initiative and reflex saves
Stamina
Add modifier to HP
Personality
Affects Will saves and cleric spells.
Intelligence
Affects known languages, Important for Wizards
Luck
Affects several abilities based on class. Can be gained/lost during the game. Thieves are particularly affected by luck. Roll 1d30+luck modifier to gain a specific affect

Ability ScoreModifier
3-3
4 - 5-2
6 - 8-1
9 - 120
13 - 15+1
16 - 17+2
18+3

Additionally:
Roll 1d4+Stamina for for HP (Minimum of one)
Roll 5d12 copper pieces
0XP
Roll 1d24 for a piece of equipment*
Roll % for occupation* This will determine your possessions and weapon training
+0 modifier to attack rolls and saving throws
1d4 fumble die
Choose a name.
You can also choose, or roll, alignment but it won't affect anything before level 1. The game has LAwful Neutral and Chaotic

*I'll look it up after your roll, I don't want to fill out a table with 100 results

here is an example 0 level character sheet. They are not fillable but it should give you idea what you need on the character sheet.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases