D&D 5E Magic Ranged Weapons and Magic Ammunition

(My search fu both in the books and online is very weak today)

RAW:
Ranged magic weapons, do they add their magic bonus to both the attack and damage roles?
Magic ammunition, do they? Do they stack with magic weapons?

Satyrn

First Post
The weapon +x entry says nothing about whether it's a melee or ranged, so yeah, a longbow +1 applies to attack and damage.

And the ammunition +x entry specifically says it applies to attack and damage.

I don't know about stacking those, but I would rule against it.

aco175

Legend
It does make it slightly more dangerous to give out both magic weapons and ammo. I typically only make ammo that does special things against certain monsters. A giant killer arrow deals (+4d6) vs. giants, or the PC could waster it on a goblin for the normal (1d6) damage. Also, ammo is used up once shot and cannot be re-used. Not sure if that last part is RAW.

I think RAW says that ammo that hits is destroyed, and ammo that misses their is a chance to collect undamaged. I'll keep looking.

Maybe sage advice has something...

I believe that they both stack. I wouldn't recommend giving out magic bows and magic ammunition with just straight pluses. Granted, I think that's somewhat boring anyway and would prefer more interesting magic weapons.
And I think that you can recover 50% of all ammunition used, whether hit or miss. But for magic ammunition, the enchantment is used up on a hit regardless of if you can recover it intact.

Satyrn

First Post
(Which is why you shouldn't give out both IMO).
The is the easiest way to answer the question for a given campaign, certainly.

It's certainly better than the moment of idiocy I had when I introduced magic magazines for my campaign's guns. So now I gotta be real careful that some gunslinger doesn't wind up with a +3 rifle loaded with a +3 magazine holding +3 bullets.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
It's certainly better than the moment of idiocy I had when I introduced magic magazines for my campaign's guns. So now I gotta be real careful that some gunslinger doesn't wind up with a +3 rifle loaded with a +3 magazine holding +3 bullets.
What boy doesn't remember when he found his dad's stash of +3 magic magazines hidden in the attic?

Remove ads