How Do You Rate a TV Show/Game/Movie?

GreyLord

Legend
I think you give online trolls to much credit (not unusual, MANY people do, some for nefarious reasons as to try to reason out that their show or shows are not as good or bad as a general rating says it is). Once something has over 1000 ratings, and especially one it has over 5-10,000 ratings, it's going to be very hard for online trolls to actually change the general consensus.

That is a general idea (not Rotten Tomatoes specific, RT has different flaws inherent with it's system on both sides of the equation) in regard to public ratings.

When going purely by ratings, I'll take an audience or unprofessional group rating over a critic rating any day of the week. It is more reflective of the quality, enjoyment, and probability of something being good or bad.

Never trust an actual critic rating itself. Critics seem to get more wrong when one relies on their actual ratings rather than other things. RT is a prime example of this. RT sometimes is completely off of what a critic states, giving the critic either a positive or negative rating, making it a black and white affair instead of what is a more nuanced effect.

HOWEVER, if I want to actually know if I will really enjoy something, I'll turn to a critics review. The reviews by critics normally express far more information in to the specifics of an item and how good or bad it truly is than a numerical or star rating that is given afterwards. Reading an actual review normally gives me a better idea of the content or how useful something is than a numerical rating could envelop on it's own.

This is where the numbers type idea of ratings falls down. Numbers may give an instant idea of how many actually like or dislike something, but it cannot really tell you if YOU will like or dislike something. Critics almost never simply give something a rating or number and that is it. They will go into depth of why or why not. If one really wants to know if they will enjoy or find something useful, reading the reviews will probably be FAR more useful than simply relying on a numerical rating.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases