Adding to a Classes Spell List

ElterAgo

Explorer
I'm still pretty new to 5th Ed, so this may be a stupid/obvious question.

I have a player whose PC is a dwarven cleric of the StormLord. One of the PC's in-character goals is to find a way to get more lightning (electric) and/or thunder (sonic) spells into his list of spells allowed by his faith.

Does there already exist a way to do this? Magic items or feats that can give more spells onto the spell list? Whatever...

If not, I can make up some magic or a deal with some avatar or something to eventually provide this. But if a system is already in place, I would rather use what already exists.

They are only 4th level currently, so this isn't a rush. However, I'd like to start making plans

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
You haven't said what Domain they have chosen -- I presume Tempest, which already adds a lot of thunder/lightning spells.

What's missing? The obvious spell is Lightning Bolt, which when the character is ready for a rare magic item could be filled with a Wand of Lightning Bolts. (easier than spending five levels in another class).

Also, do you know the Elemental Evil Player's Companion? (google it). It was a free resource that included new spells, that also made it into Xanathar's Guide. The player could take a Feat (at 4th level) in Magic Initiate and get Druid spells -- also tapping off Wisdom.

Spells listed there include (cantrip) Thunderclap and (1st level) Earth Tremor. Couple that with another cantrip, and you have two more! (if they're just at 4th level, perhaps let the player re-choose what they do with the ASI).

That's all by the rules. As DM, you of course have the ability just to change the available spells list (perhaps with a quest in service to the god).

Hope this helps!

the Jester

Legend
3e had runestaffs, which were for sorcerers. Each one added a few thematically linked spells to the sorcerer's list of spells known. You could use that as a starting point.

The other option is to let him re-skin spells. There's no reason why spiritual weapon can't do Thunder damage instead of force damage.

Or let him invent a spell or go on a holy quest to find a new spell. As long as the spell mirrors another spell of its level in range, duration and area, it shouldn't be broken.

aco175

Legend
The best way to add spells is to have a quest for the cleric. There is no reason why special priests of thunder god cannot have a lightning spell. I would not just give lightning bolt, but something similar and personal to the cleric. Make the spell something to be wanted,but not overpowered that it becomes the spell used all the time. You could make a 3rd level spell that deals 1/2 what a lightning bolt does, but bursts at the end in a thunder burst for some stunning effect for a round.

Having a quest is a great way to get players involved. One of the PCs gets the spell, but include other PC goals if able. There can be magic in the lost tomb of knowledge that the other PCs get to have and use.

Greg K

Legend
As a DM, I, personally, tailor spell lists for each deity. This involves removing and adding spells from the standard list.

Li Shenron

Legend
I am afraid there is very little within the standard rules...

I was thinking Magic Initiate first but it really only works with cantrips e.g. Shocking Grasp. Sadly, the 1st level spell granted by this feat can only be cast with a 1st level slot, so the feat is not very valuable for picking a damaging spell since it'll never scale. Anyway, you already have Thunderspell and can scale it if you have the Tempest domain.

I don't like multiclassing, but it's another option. One level of Wizard will allow you to learn their 1st-level spells, three levels of Wizard for 2nd-level spells, and 5 levels of Wizard for 3rd-level spells, and you'll be able to use your highest-level slots to scale them as much as you want. But this solution can cause a bigger dent on your character design that just picking a feat.

However... I have the feeling that there aren't actually many lightning/thunder spells left (low levels at least) if you already have the Tempest domain, so even multiclassing may not really open up a lot of possibilities.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I usually prefer to modify the Bonus Spell List to have more sense with the deity the player selected. So in this case, if we are talking about the Stormlord from Taldorei, aka Oerth/Nentir Vale Kord, we could go with a theme of Storm/Strength/Hero/Athleticism for the spells list:

1: Heroism, Thundering Smite (could be Thunderwave, depending if the player wants more of a frontline character or a spellcasting PC)
2: Enlarge/reduce, Enhance Ability
3: Call Lightning, Lightning bolt
4: Storm Sphere, Freedom of Movement
5: Maelstrom, Destructive Wave

mortwatcher

Explorer
I would go with re-fluffing the current spells, that way you don't have to think about balancing it too much. Spiritual weapon is not a weapon but it's a small cloud that strikes lightning on command. Spirit guardians are now called Lightning field, where there is a field of electricity around the cleric with the same effect. Healing spells are like little defibrillators when others are down. You can do a lot with a little imagination and you wont have to really change anything.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I'm still pretty new to 5th Ed, so this may be a stupid/obvious question.

I have a player whose PC is a dwarven cleric of the StormLord. One of the PC's in-character goals is to find a way to get more lightning (electric) and/or thunder (sonic) spells into his list of spells allowed by his faith.

Does there already exist a way to do this? Magic items or feats that can give more spells onto the spell list? Whatever...

If not, I can make up some magic or a deal with some avatar or something to eventually provide this. But if a system is already in place, I would rather use what already exists.

They are only 4th level currently, so this isn't a rush. However, I'd like to start making plans

I'd be hesitant to do this. One of the cooler bardic abilities is Magical Secrets, which allows picking spells off of other lists. But that's a class feature, and not a minor one.

So I'd suggest that a balanced way to do it would have to swap out a class feature in order to do this. Maybe swap out Destroy Undead (not particularly thunder/lightning) and grant a lightning/thunder spell known of the level up to the CR of the undead. (With 5th level rounding up to granting a 1st, since that's only CR 1/2.) This is a level they don't have yet, a feature that's not particularly focused on what they do, and gives more over time.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases