GAME OF THRONES SEASON 8--Final Run-- Part 5

Zardnaar

Legend
Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
(as evidenced by GRRM still being stuck).

I read an article today that the actor who played Ser Baristan Selmy said that Martin was finished with both book 6 and 7, but had a deal with HBO not to release them until after the series was over. I have no idea if that's true or not, but it's a very interesting thing for him to say.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
So, basically, at some point Dany snuck into the Iron Fleet and stole all their plot armour. Suddenly the Scorpions go from being turn-on-a-dime railguns that can snipe a dragon out of the air in three high-precision shots and rapid-fire their way through an entire fleet to cumbersome things that take ten seconds to aim at anything and 30 seconds to reload. Okay, this version is more realistic, but seriously, why didn't Dany just burn Euron's fleet to cinders last episode?

And then there followed around an hour of gratuitous dragonning, none of which I can bring myself to give a damn about. What fun is a battle without any good guys?

Hey! We had occasional flashes to Jon running around all confused and upset, with the odd stabby stabby here and there.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I don't think that was portrayed perfectly....they likely could have established the situations more clearly. But I do think there's a difference between ships striking from hiding against an enemy that was unaware of them.

Ships can't do that, though. It takes a loooooong time for ships to come out from behind a cliff and then aim at flying dragons and a queen that are all looking at the island the ships are crawling out from behind. That ambush was some of the poorest writing of the season. Only the Charge of the Night Brigade was worse.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
We haven't really seen it unleashed full force against a structure before now - but it's certainly no more powerful than when the Night King blew up the Wall with an undead dragon. The only thing that got to me was the sheer volume. Apparently the dragons can breathe fire forever, more or less.

And we learned that the Red Keep and city walls should have been built out that rock Jon was hiding behind in episode 3.

hawkeyefan

Legend
Ships can't do that, though. It takes a loooooong time for ships to come out from behind a cliff and then aim at flying dragons and a queen that are all looking at the island the ships are crawling out from behind. That ambush was some of the poorest writing of the season. Only the Charge of the Night Brigade was worse.

They were behind the rocks and waited till the dragons flew into their line of fire. Dany and the dragons were caught unaware.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
They were behind the rocks and waited till the dragons flew into their line of fire. Dany and the dragons were caught unaware.

No they didn't. If you watch the scene, they came out from behind the rocks and shot at them. There were no ships, then *poof* ships with speed boat engines were suddenly well out in front of that cliff face and then attacked with ballistae that can shoot farther than is possible, with pinpoint accuracy at fast moving targets(impossible by the way) while moving up and down on waves. It was a stupid, stupid scene.

hawkeyefan

Legend
No they didn't. If you watch the scene, they came out from behind the rocks and shot at them. There were no ships, then *poof* ships with speed boat engines were suddenly well out in front of that cliff face and then attacked with ballistae that can shoot farther than is possible, with pinpoint accuracy at fast moving targets(impossible by the way) while moving up and down on waves. It was a stupid, stupid scene.

Eh tomayto tomahto, Max.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases