Making a combat on the docks "interesting"?

Shiroiken

Legend
It depends on how you layout your docks, and how you plan on having the groups get to them. I like the idea of a ship sending out longboats full of Group B, while a longboat with Group A sneaks around from the other side to another pier. I'd have the attack happen at night, so that dim light will cause disadvantage to perception checks to notice Group A. If you have 3 piers, Group B, could move to land on two adjacent ones, while Group A lands at the third a few rounds into the combat. This forces the party to split between the two docks, since they have to repel from both.

Instead of waves knocking people into the water, I'd make random spots slick, so that moving into those spaces requires a Dex/Acrobatics DC: 10 check to prevent slipping (Dex save DC:10, fail fall into water, save drop prone instead).

Instead of a giant throwing rocks (which would be more useful attacking the defenders), I'd have some of the invaders throwing flaming oil from a catapult on the ship, creating random 5' areas that have to be avoided or take damage (per PHB), limiting movement and possibly hitting PCs/NPCs.

I'd take advantage of Passive skills for Group A. Each round, I'd roll Stealth for Group A, revealing their presence to anyone whose passive perception is high enough. Additionally, I'd roll Deception (probably with advantage) for Group B, revealing the distraction to anyone whose passive insight is high enough. If any player takes an action to figure things out, they get to make a check against the roll for the round as well. If you call for checks, it will make players suspicious even if they fail.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
An impromptu musical number?

Something from the Pirates of Penzance perhaps... a little light opera never hurt anyone.

Seriously though, there's lots of stuff you could do. Even something as simple as adding large stacks of cargo could be cool (think the shipping container fight scenes from Daredevil or Dark Knight). You could have several ships moored together as an alternate way of getting from pier to pier. You could certainly add treacherous terrain, and you could also find ways to encourage shoves and whatnot to make good use of it. I also like the idea of things like cargo cranes to add both height and movement. Anything that makes the battlefield more 3D and interactive for the players will be a good thing.

Motorskills

Explorer
You don't need bad weather, aquatic monsters or anything else.

A normal (busy) working dockfront is going to be a crazy place, all sorts of 3D structures and mayhem.

Add the above if you want of course, just don't miss what's awesome right in front of you.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Don't forget to buckle your swashes gentlemen, this is a dock fight, not your Mamma's sitting room.

I do tend to encourage swashbuckling action as a GM, and a lot of my advice and ideas tend to index facilitation of said swashbuckling. I was trying to think of ways to say 'swashbuckle' another couple of times, but it's tough to manufacture appropriate conversational openings.

Radaceus

Adventurer
regarding Lair effect type action: waves crashign against the dock.

RL experience, managing a large processing boat at the end of a long dock ( 1/2 mile long, on the Aleutian archipelago). It was Christmas day, and a skeleton crew, a white squall (or black rather) appeared across the bay and closed the distance of 15 miles in less than a minute we went from a normal calm day to 20+' swells at the dock, in a nutshell, the 300' boat almost sank at the dock.

So, point being, you dont need a creature, nature can happen...

I'd even just make it stormy conditions, or if you want, a Druid controlling weather for cover. Aside from terrain modifying conditions ( Lightly Obscured, Difficult Terrain), this creates a Lair Effect which happens at the top of the turn order to anyone in the AoE.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases