Bethesda Comments On Accusations Of Plagiarizing D&D Adventure
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Frazzled
    Dracolich (Lvl 29)

Bethesda Comments On Accusations Of Palgiarizing D&D Adventure

Bethesda has issued an apology for plagiarising D&D adventure The Black Road by Paige Leitman and Ben Heisler. Well, not an actual apology, just a brief explanation.

Name:  esoelsweyr.jpg
Views: 20176
Size:  124.7 KB

"We have pulled a previously shared ESO tabletop RPG adventure while we investigate the source. Thank you to those who reached out with concerns.

Thanks again to everyone who highlighted the issue of alleged plagiarism in relation to the ESO Elsweyr tabletop RPG promotion. Our intention had been to create and give away a unique Elsweyr inspired scenario that could be played within any popular tabletop RPG rule set.

We requested that an original scenario be created, and we are investigating why this does not appear to be the case. We have removed all assets relating to this and ask, in respect to the creator of the original scenario, that it should not be circulated.

Lastly, to avoid any confusion, please note that there is no correlation between this scenario and anything that will eventually appear within the video game."

Gallant (Lvl 3)

"Alleged plagiarism." Get a spine, Bethesda, it wasn't like it was subtle. (Yes, yes, I know: "liability" and all, but still...)

A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Wow, looks like they went to the Phillip Mucin school of apology, as well as his school of writing.
    XP ShadoWWW gave XP for this post
    Laugh Imaculata laughed with this post

Grandmaster of Flowers (Lvl 18)

Giving them the benefit of the doubt, it sounds like a case of insufficient oversight/familiarity on behalf of the people in charge.

Just pay the original creator of the content to re-skin their work for them and be done with it..

Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

but wizards might not want that since it's apart of their AL program

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

I'm not really sure what else people want from Bethesda on this. They hired a writer who turned in the work, they published it, and then pulled it when they found out it was plagiarized. I don't expect the publishers at the company to have read every adventure booklet published, so there is no reason to expect they should have caught this before publishing. Pulling it is the right thing to do, investigating exactly what happened is the right thing to do (as well as figuring out ways to try to keep it from happening again), and keeping the public informed is the right thing to do.
    XP Raith5, monsmord, Prakriti, Fandabidozi, LordEntrails and 18 others gave XP for this post

Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

Our contractor f-ed up is a pretty believable reason. It happens all the time.

Hanlon's razor and all that.
    XP Celebrim, Maxperson gave XP for this post

Spellbinder (Lvl 16)

Quote Originally Posted by Loren the GM View Post
    I'm not really sure what else people want from Bethesda on this. They hired a writer who turned in the work, they published it, and then pulled it when they found out it was plagiarized. I don't expect the publishers at the company to have read every adventure booklet published, so there is no reason to expect they should have caught this before publishing. Pulling it is the right thing to do, investigating exactly what happened is the right thing to do (as well as figuring out ways to try to keep it from happening again), and keeping the public informed is the right thing to do.
    I dunno, maybe have someone at the company who can competently run some keyword searches online for at least 15 minutes as part of their QC procedure before publishing?

Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

Quote Originally Posted by DM Dave1 View Post
    I dunno, maybe have someone at the company who can competently run some keyword searches online for at least 15 minutes as part of their QC procedure before publishing?
    I didn't hear that it got published, I thought it was just announced with a preview.