Votes: 79 27.0%
  • D&D 4E

Votes: 73 24.9%
  • Other (not 5E)

Votes: 9 3.1%

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
Voted 2e, settings and nostalgia as it was the edition I played the most, holding out a couple of years into 3e. I came to enjoy 3e but my younger self was enthralled with the 2e games played with my friends.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
3.5 all the way. I'm surprised about 4e being so popular though, from what I heard (after I tried and dropped it) a lot of people were hating on it saying it "MMO'ified" the game too much. I guess I just didn't find those who liked it.

ENWorld has a pretty active group of 4e fans. How that compares with the broader D&D community is anybody's guess. Exactly how representative the boards are of the broader community is always a question due to selection bias, so don't assume any poll is indicative of the broader gaming community.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
3.5 all the way. I'm surprised about 4e being so popular though, from what I heard (after I tried and dropped it) a lot of people were hating on it saying it "MMO'ified" the game too much. I guess I just didn't find those who liked it.

I mean, there are 70 of us who marked 4e as their first choice - that's not a large number really. And I wouldn't be surprised to find out that every single person who marked something else would rank 4e as dead last on their list (not necessarily true, but I wouldn't be surprised).

Having said that - I actually know of two different groups (in meatspace, not online) that tried 5e, decided they didn't like it, and stuck with 4e. My own group was cold on 5e but we switched to 13th Age instead of sticking with 4e. 4e didn't do the business that Wizards wanted it to do, but I think if it had been a game produced by a larger third party company (like Modiphus or Cubicle 7) and not named "D&D" it might have been able to stick around with the lowered expectations a gameline like that has. There were a lot of innovative ideas in the system, and a lot of things to like.

Sacrosanct

Legend
This. But not so coincidentally, 5e Warlord threads are also what attract a lot of 4aters.

Edition warring against 4e is stuff like "That's not real D&D, it's an MMO". It's not "Warlord fans can't seem to agree what they want because in all of these threads, everyone who is a fan wants different things" or "You can still achieve the warlord concept in 5e by doing x, y, and z. Not exactly like 4e, but that would be impossible based on the core design differences." There are one or two people who might attack 4e, but not even close to "a lot". Show me quotes of people who repeatedly personally attack Rob Heinsoo. It's been 7 years since 5e was announced and we still have people taking pot shots at the character, integrity, ethics, and intelligence of Crawford and his team.

There seems to be a lot of, and Tony's response to me and attacks on me prove, attitudes that if you don't praise 4e, then you're a 4hater. That's simply nonsense. Criticizing 4e doesn't automatically make one a hater any more than criticizing 3e for numbers bloat make one a hater of 3e, or criticizing the wonky rules of 1e makes one a hater of 1e.

"OMG, you disagreed with me! You're just a hater! Stop grave dancing! We're such victims!" :hmm:

Last edited:

Aldarc

Legend
Edition warring against 4e is stuff like "That's not real D&D, it's an MMO". It's not "Warlord fans can't seem to agree what they want because in all of these threads, everyone who is a fan wants different things" or "You can still achieve the warlord concept in 5e by doing x, y, and z. Not exactly like 4e, but that would be impossible based on the core design differences." There are one or two people who might attack 4e, but not even close to "a lot". Show me quotes of people who repeatedly personally attack Rob Heinsoo. It's been 7 years since 5e was announced and we still have people taking pot shots at the character, integrity, ethics, and intelligence of Crawford and his team.

There seems to be a lot of, and Tony's response to me and attacks on me prove, attitudes that if you don't praise 4e, then you're a 4hater. That's simply nonsense. Criticizing 4e doesn't automatically make one a hater any more than criticizing 3e for numbers bloat make one a hater of 4e, or criticizing the wonky rules of 1e makes one a hater of 1e.

"OMG, you disagreed with me! You're just a hater! Stop grave dancing! We're such victims!" :hmm:
You are assuming a lot here about the very little that I said. I would recommend not incensing yourself into a rage about your assumptions. My comment was not directed at you. If you are not a 4ater, then my comment would obviously not apply.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
You are assuming a lot here about the very little that I said. I would recommend not incensing yourself into a rage about your assumptions. My comment was not directed at you. If you are not a 4ater, then my comment would obviously not apply.

Does it matter if it was directed at Sacrosanct or not? Lobbing bombs at people not the game is the core of the edition war.

Sacrosanct

Legend

You said "Warlord threads bring out a lot of 4e haters." There's no assuming done by me on that. Your words are there. So who are "a lot" of these people who are 4e haters in those threads? If there are "a lot", I'm sure you have a pretty decent sized list.

And again, your post is pretty ironic, accusing me of making a lot of assumptions when you just accused me of incensing myself into a rage. You're doing the same thing Tony did when he accused me of gravedancing and implying I'm all hurt and upset 4e is still around. The both of you aren't doing a very good job of showing how 4e fans are better than others...

Last edited:

Aldarc

Legend
Does it matter if it was directed at Sacrosanct or not? Lobbing bombs at people not the game is the core of the edition war.
I lobbed bombs at no one. It was not directed at anyone in particular. I only noted that the traces of the Edition War have taken on new forms in a lot of Warlord in 5E threads.

You said "Warlord threads bring out a lot of 4e haters." There's no assuming done by me on that. Your words are there. So who are "a lot" of these people who are 4e haters in those threads? If there are "a lot", I'm sure you have a pretty decent sized list.
I have not accused you of being one. I did not even name names. I don't even think that most of the debate, vitriol, or criticisms in the Warlord thread are from "4aters." I do think though that your response has been disproportionately aggressive and hostile to what was said.

Last edited:

Sacrosanct

Legend
I have not accused you of being one. I did not even name names. .

It doesn't matter if you accused me personally or not. That's not the point, and wasn't what I was asking. You said it brings out a lot of 4e haters. So prove it. What are all of these comments that "a lot" of people are making that show they are haters.

Remove ads