(IR) IR Interlude, Turn 4 - 5 (thread 1)

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
With the advent of nuclear weapons, and the implications of those weapons, the Angels appear for the first time in the world of Oerth.

- - -

The people of the Flanaess have been forced into the cities, now that the countryside cannot support them, and most of the 170 million people of this part of the Oerik continent live in the new, fortress-like sprawls of concrete and steel.

In apartments that enable them to survive, but not to live, Oerth's people huddle, surviving on the small rations given them, drinking the water ration allowed (only so much can be purified of disease with the magic available.)
There is no mirth, no laughter, no hope, and no future.
The advent of nuclear weapons means these people have nothing to look forward but their own deaths, without recourse, having nowhere to run or to hide.

Many of these people, blind, wounded, mutilated, slowly dying, would prefer not to live any longer.

A lot of people have been praying. Praying for help and hope that has not come.

Until now.

A radiance comes into a thousand apartments, fills tens of thousands of dim, dark rooms.
It beams down into towns in the country, where people huddle in structures still standing, striving in vain to harvest what crops remain, knowing they won't survive the winter.
The light shines on the uncounted thousands of wounded men and women, some without legs, some without arms, many with bandages permanently wrapped around ruined eyes.
It shines down on tramatized children whose parents are gone, on tramatized children who have sat and wondered why the people they trusted couldn't make the world right, couldn't make it safe again, couldn't stop it from hurting them.
It shines on those without hope, without a future, people who can only wait for the bombs and the oblivion they will bring.

Out of that light step the Angels.
They are transparent, the Angels. One can see the walls of the sickrooms through them and their robes.
They shine with an inner light, the Angels. The light is all about them, on their gossamer garments, their hair, their gentle faces.
Those faces are ageless, and genderless, but altogether beautiful.
They carry gossamer swords which are sheathed in transparent, white sheaths.
Their wings are not visible.

With silent grace and without speaking a word, the Angels step up to those who are lost.
Those looking into those radiant faces see expressions of sadness and pain.
In those eyes, however, is deep compassion and love, and these feelings are instantly known by all who the Angels look at, even those who are semi-concious or unconscious.
It is like being wrapped in the arms of someone very powerful, and very tender, or if one is a child, like being held by one's mother.
Physically and mentally, it comes as a wave of reassurance that the nightmare will end now.
The horror will be relegated to memory only.
The pain is going to stop.
There will be peace and healing and joy in it's place.

Then, the Angels reach out with ethereal hands to those who are stricken, laying in bed, dying, or huddled in their rooms, children huddled in corners, adults sitting listlessly without hope, millions of people for whom this stricken world no longer has a place.

There is no question that the Angels intend to take these people from Oerth to Toril.
There is no question that the intend to do so right now.

However, the Angels go everywhere - including places such as the Dark Union and the Empire of Iuz, and even to the Solistarim and the fell races of the Underdark.
Their hands are not reached out to warriors, fierce and eager to continue the battle.
Their hands are not reached out to those planning new war.
Their hands are not reached out to those researching new ways to employ magic and science to kill.
Their hands are not reached out to anyone who does not want them.

As it would happen, more than 150 million of the 170 million people of the Flanaess, want them.

There are only a few hundred Angels.

Does anyone hinder them, or try to stop them by force?

Does anyone try to speak to them?

Last edited:

Mr. Draco

First Post
This message is delivered to the angels by Kas himself.

"Ahh, so you have arrived, finally. You know me as Kas the Terrible, and many like these have suffered at my hand in days long past. Countless thousands have died due to my actions. Would you condemn me for these acts angels? I think you would, as would many more alongside you. Yet, I still draw breath.

Measure not my actions of the past, but measure my actions of this age. By my hand two great evils have been vanquished from this world: Vecna and Tharizdun. By the descisions of the Union of Oerth, of which I am co-leader, the evil that was the shade was wiped from the face of this planet. Even more recently, the undead stain that was Acererak's forces was conquered by armies lead by me.

The people of this land, the Union of Oerth, have and are seeing new days of technology and safety that were inconcievable even 100 years ago. For the first time in thousands of years, and indeed, possibly all of history, the lands known as the Union of Oerth have been united under a common banner. A banner seeking peace, and rebuilding.
By my hand the rebels of Nyrond and other lands were put down. By my hand!

I ask you angels, is Toril a world of peace? Peace for it's people, and prosperity? From what I have seen, it is. I doubt you will argue that point.

Yet how did it gain that status? Through a conflict bloodier and more vicious than what has befalen Oerth so far. Millions upon countless millions died, all for a dream of peace, prosperity, and security.

Left to their own, the people of Toril created, after bloody war followed by bloody war, a paradise. I have heard that another such paradise exists, guarded by your own kind. It is called the Isle of Hope I believe. This was again origionally a product of the wars that wrecked havoc on Toril.

So, let me ask you this, why do you offer to take these people away? You must know that doing so destroys any later chance at mimicing the eventual success of Toril. Where people are not, no progress can be made. In fact, by taking these ones away, you ensure that more destruction will follow. For after these, the peaceful ones, are sequestered away, the only ones left will be the bloodthirsty, those eager for death, and those gleefull at the prospect of destruction.

What do you think has kept them in check to this point? It is nothing but the thoughts of ones like these, some crippled, some diseased, all suffering. Suffering for better days in the future! By taking them away, you make a mockery of their suffering. Reducing its true importance to naught!

Angels, reconsider your actions at taking these. However you choose, I will not stop you. Remember though, by taking these, you condemn the rest of the population to death. Their blood will be on your hands angels! Choose carefully!"

With that, Kas steps back and observes the actions of the angels, and whatever response they may give him.

Festy_Dog

First Post
Silver Phase teleports to one of his major cities to communicate with one of the angels in person. His only companion is this venture is Lenaurae, the half-celestial sorceress. Upon seeing the angel both are taken back by its splendor. Silver takes down his hood to reveal his pale kobold head and short vampiric fangs, but not as a threat. He then also holds out his hands, palms up, to show he bears no weapons against them, though Duelist Soul hummed at his side feeling it had not had a challenge for too long. Silver ignored it.

"Greetings," he says, "I am known as Silver Phase, and this is an associate of mine, Lenaurae Treliael. I am here to make it official that you are quite allowed to remove the innocents from this cursed place. There is a long way to go before it is safe to live on Oerth again, and do not doubt that I am going to make an effort to make that way shorter. I ask you one thing but, will my people ever be able to return here to their homes?"

The angel seems to float in its space as its inner light iluminates the cavern they stand in. Silver looks at the angel, hoping for an answer. Lenaurae also looks on, unable to tell how the angel will react to the undead kobold.

Gnome

last time I looked we weren't at war and I was an ally of Kalanyr so if you want a war I think you will get 4 players instead of 1. I wonder why I would be an enemy but plz let me know what you decide what I am before we start :)

Kalanyr

Explorer
Kalanyr steps forth to speak to the Angels

"Hello, great ones. I know you mean well but think what it means for Oerth to remove its population you will leave this place a dead planet with no hope of life and you will also leave Acererak free to pursue his plans to become Lord of All Undead here and on Toril,he will be more powerful than Vecna was. If my people wish to go they may go with you, I will not stop them it is not my way. We must all make our own choices. "

Meanwhile Banners of the Oerth Alliance are flown in the mountains of Ishtarland the black banners with a Gray world sparkle in the sun's light as Yuan-ti,Drow,Humanoids,Dragons and Robots go on doing what they can to heal the wounded, and provide food for the starving.

Ahlissa smiles upon The Shadow Dragons, and speaks:

-Greetings, Wyrms of The Dark, and Wyrms of The Death, you made the right choice! For there is only one Lord Of Darkness, and his name is Melkor, Lord Of All! Together we shall fight this disease that started on Toril, terrible disease that corrupts everyone it touches. It corrupted Phaerimms, Ililthidi, Drow, Beholders. first on Toril, now on Oerth! These races, once proud and mighty, have degenerated into pitful weaklings that play with children, subdued by the Lies Of The Light, Lies OF Peace and Love! But we, loyal servants of Shadowking, shall show them The True Power Of Darkness. We shall pray upon the soft, showing them no mercy, no remorse, they will be hunted, and crushed into oblivion, until they kneel before us, and prostate themselves before Melkor The Great, and they will offer themselves to him, their bodies, minds and souls, but they won`t escape his Wrath, and long torment awaits them, and than The Eternal Void! All hail The Shadowking!

Last edited:

Maudlin

First Post
Edena_of_Neith said:
We will aid you in your revenge against the pitiful creatures that usurped what was yours.
One does not steal from me. I have said so in the past. One may try to avoid paying the price, but see it multiplied a thousandfold instead.

The false godling will receive his due.
Kas is already a Child of Unlife. I will particularly enjoy my meeting with him after my apotheosis. He, almost certainly, will not.

What say you, Lord and King of Darkness, Mage Supreme, Soul Darker than the Darkest Night?
What say you, Acererak the Divine?

Will you allow us the extreme privilege of serving you?
On a million worlds, for a thousand years, your names will be whispered in the dark to send valiant men quailing.

Your hoards will dwarf Mount Olympus, and tales of it will seize up the hearts of the greedy.

Your dominion over all dragonkind will become a reality, for all time.

Serve me faithfully, and all this will be. I accept your offer.

Tokiwong

First Post
Iuz is not pleased...

Iuz stands before the angels in his realm, "I can see that you wish to give the people salvation... or peace... but this is our world... not that of Toril... do not be foolish and toy in our affairs... I will not allow you to take my people for they are better served here... do not test me for I have been tested..."

Iuz cocked his head slightly, "This is no time to run... we the people of Oerth will face what we must... return to Toril... there is nothing for you here..."

Iuz will attempt to keep his people since we need a sizeable force to work... breed... and grow... misery not withstanding... he will not allow the angels to take his children...

Last edited:

Maudlin

First Post
Mr. Draco said:
Maudlin, since when is Kas undead?
I've always read that he was, in several places... I'm not sure I can quote an official source from the top of my head, but at least I'm sure that in the Spellfire CCG he was listed as undead, which is arguably semi-official but at least proofed by WotC.

Remove ads