Four deaths (almost!)

A bit of excitement from our regular session today that I thought I'd share. I won't mention what adventure we're playing due to spoilers, but suffice to say the party is exploring a big dungeon complex (and the details will be up in the next week on diaglo's story hour).

Party of six:

Halfling Rgr5/Rog3
Elf Brd8
Human Clr6/Ftr2
Half-elf Rgr7
Gnome Sor7
Elf Drd7

The party had just opened a secret door when they heard a metallic "clang" from another corrider; the two rangers go to investigate. They encounter the four girallons charging out to meet them (in line down the corridor). The surprise round results in a 10 hp hit to the half-elf ranger, he loses initiative and is ripped to shreds by the girallon's full attack the next round (straight to -15). Almost death #1 -- the damage in the module stat block seems high; I check it against the MM to confirm, and sure enough, it's an error -- the ranger comes back to life at -5 hp, and the halfling begins dragging him out of range.

Thinking fast, the bard fascinates three of the four charging girallons (though not until after one gets behind the party). The fourth eventually gets clear to charge the party, takes some spell damage, and then is calmed by the druid, to be led back to its lair (smart thinking & good rolling by the druid's player using Wild Empathy). Eight rounds pass as the party tries to decide how to extract themselves without being demolished; meanwhile the wildshaped druid has been casting buff spells on himself. Finally the druid (wildshaped as a bear and buffed to the max) attacks the isolated girallon and takes it down in one round with the help of his leopard companion, then goes running to the party's aid.

The sorcerer decides to get creative with spells, breaking the fascination on the remaining girallons. One charges the bard, and shreds her in a full attack on the following round (bad choice on the bard's part -- she elected to 5' step to cast a spell to try an avoid an attack of opportunity, rather than withdraw, allowing the girallon to 5' step and finish her off the next round. Had she pulled back farther, accepting the attack of opportunity, she would have been hurt, but survived). Death #2. One girallon charges the druid and leopard, turning the leopard into pate. Death #3. The druid's retaliation is swift, and the second monster bites the dust.

The cleric, halfling, and revived ranger square off against the remaining two girallons, dropping one -- but both rangers are reduced to single-digit hit points in the process. The druid arrives just in time to finish off the fourth girallon.

The party retreats to rest and lick wounds; the bard is reincarnated as a kobold, and they press deeper into the dungeon.

A bit later they engage four Wight Fighter-4s, two with spiked chains, two dual-wielding swords and axes. The cleric is able to turn (using his Sun power to destroy) two wights, but one spiked-chain wielding wight drops him prone. A miss-located Scintillating Sphere (ie, electrical fireball) from the sorcerer drops the cleric's hit points by half, and a crit from a spiked-chain wight and it's all over for the cleric (almost death #4). But wait! The crit was confirmed exactly; the cleric's player forgot to declare his Dodge feat. The DM (softy that I am) decides to let the cleric apply his Dodge bonus; the difference means he survives, barely. The remaining wights are destroyed and their more dangerous ally is driven off (temporarily); the party retreats.

Lessons learned:

1. Girallons are nasty. I thought I'd learned that lesson from reading Wulf's story hour, but it doesn't really sink in until you're rolling all five attacks and adding up the rend damage.

2. Don't underestimate a well-played druid. The druid's player is a newbie (this is his third session) and he's done really well playing such a complex character. He made some errors in damage calculation, as it turned out, but even so he still saved the party's bacon. The bard's Fascinate probably prevented a TPK early on and gave them time to get their act together.

3. Check stat blocks! I do this routinely as part of my reading and pre-game prep, but the error in the girallon's stats slipped by me, and I hate to have a PC die because of an error like that. I'm glad I caught it when I did.

And a good time was had by all ... a great bunch, this group. The bard's player is tickled to now be a kobold -- first time I've seen a Reincarnate used in-game in 15 years.

Last edited:

alsih2o

First Post
Olgar Shiverstone said:
the bard is reincarnated as a kobold, and they press deeper into the dungeon.

you know you are having a fun game when...

good post, food for thought and a chuckle :)

biorph

First Post
Olgar Shiverstone said:
One charges the bard, and shreds her in a full attack on the following round (bad choice on the bard's part -- she elected to 5' step to cast a spell to try an avoid an attack of opportunity, rather than withdraw, allowing the girallon to 5' step and finish her off the next round. Had she pulled back farther, accepting the attack of opportunity, she would have been hurt, but survived). Death #2. ...the bard is reincarnated as a kobold, and they press deeper into the dungeon.

Yeah yeah, rub it in why don't you :p but you forgot one of the best parts. I figured if we're doing a reincarnation, we'll do it right, and added a d% role with an equal chance of coming back as one sex or the other, which the DM allowed. so the female elf bard is now a male kobold bard. the druid and he/her had exchanged some words in character afterwards, and she'll definately be making some...adjustments, as soon as (s)he finds some clothes to fit him again, right now he's in a makeshift toga along with two other party members who got nude-ified from other later encounters. so we've got a kobold bard and a gnome sorceror in the party now. :rolleyes: :D :)

Last edited:

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
Olgar Shiverstone said:
And a good time was had by all ... a great bunch, this group. The bard's player is tickled to now be a kobold -- first time I've seen a Reincarnate used in-game in 15 years.

In our last campaign, my druid reincarnated a half-elf as a halfling. And even that relatively benign transformation created lots of Angst in that player...

I'd assume that it would be even worse with your elf. After all, he stopped being one of the most exalted races of creation and turned into a kobold! A lowly, cowardly, reptilian creature! That's even worse than being an orc!

No offense to Meepo, of course. But that's how I would see it if I were an elf... ;)

JoeBlank

Explorer
As the player of the gnome sorcerer, I think the character is going to give the lowly kobold the benefit of the doubt, for now.

After all, it was his deciding "to get creative with spells" that broke the bard's fascination, causing the girallon to charge her. So if he had continued doing nothing . . . well, that was not really an option. The gnome is pretty much all magic, casting spells in virtually every situation, and casting spells risks breaking the fascination.

In my defense, she had fascinated them for at least 10 rounds, and was begging us to do something.

Very fun session, with the hint of even more fun to come.

Jürgen Hubert said:
I'd assume that it would be even worse with your elf. After all, he stopped being one of the most exalted races of creation and turned into a kobold! A lowly, cowardly, reptilian creature! That's even worse than being an orc!

No offense to Meepo, of course. But that's how I would see it if I were an elf... ;)

The in-character screeching was quite impressive. Who'd have thought elves to be so sensitive? Props to biorph!

Madfox

First Post
A yes, that particular encounter caused the life of 1 PC in the first round, brought two fighters to single digits in the following round and droped a 3rd fighter in the 3rd round. If it had not been for the slow of the wizard, I might have faced my first TPK.

Sometime later they met a fiendish girallon, and even though they have gained on average 2 levels since that first encounter, they still nearly ran even though it as at is own.

diaglo

Adventurer
hey!!

don't forget to tell them who paid for that reincarnate.

my character seems to pay for everything. ;)

spend my 5000gp jug of exotic agents, oils, and spices. sheesh.

Nightchilde-2

First Post
Darklone said:
Woah... only four girallions... reminds you not to go into close quarters with melee monsters.

Amen to that. In my session Friday night, one fiendish ogre mincemeat out of my players' characters. Never underestimate the power of an ogre-sized greatclub upside the head. :p :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases