Are your players into your campaign?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
ForceUser said:
I would, but I don't have a community supporter account, and it's fallen off the 3rd page where I am unable to retrieve it. :(

Err - I'd ask if you were kidding, but you obviously aren't. You can see as many pages of history as you like. Simply use the settings at the bottom of every forum page. This is as true for regular members as it is for Community Supporters.

For instance, head to the SH forum and search by author within the last month; then go to the "f"s for Forceuser.

Even if this weren't the case, anyone with a community supporter account would help you if you asked in Meta for a fast search. :)

Email me if you need more help.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
ForceUser said:
I would, but I don't have a community supporter account, and it's fallen off the 3rd page where I am unable to retrieve it. :(
Simple.

Sort threads by Thread Starter. This will be you. If you can't find yourself, extend the selection time of threads displayed -- normally it only displays the last month's threads but you can go right back to the beginning.

No problem.

Dyir

First Post
I have both kinds of players in the same group. I have one player whose character is about as one-dimensional as you can get, yet who takes so many notes during the quest that she knows exactly how many baddies got waxed in each adventure. I have two more players who really get into their characters and campaign, and work with me to make a more believable and fun campaign. I have two more than don't really care, and one final player who can't even remember the names of the other player characters. So I have to learn to balance between the two styles of play.

ForceUser

Explorer
Piratecat said:
Err - I'd ask if you were kidding, but you obviously aren't. You can see as many pages of history as you like. Simply use the settings at the bottom of every forum page. This is as true for regular members as it is for Community Supporters.

For instance, head to the SH forum and search by author within the last month; then go to the "f"s for Forceuser.

Even if this weren't the case, anyone with a community supporter account would help you if you asked in Meta for a fast search. :)

Email me if you need more help.
Doh! That's what I get for assuming. Thanks guys.

ForceUser said:
Do your players take notes?
No.
Do they remember campaign events that happened two, six, twelve months ago?
Yes and no. One forgets everything that doesn't involve treasure, one forgets everything that doesn't involve a fight, and the other four are rather spotty.
Do they remember NPCs relevant to their backgrounds?
Better than I do. Let's me be lazy.

Do they have backgrounds, or do they just throw a bunch of stats together and slap a name on it?
Yes. Err, No. Ummm, both. Most have trouble with names.
Do they remember the name of the NPC they're working for?
They don't "work", they seek out entertainment/stories/fights/loot.

Do they remember why they are on a particular adventure, or why it's a bad idea to throw your weight around with the soldiers of the local lord?
Almost never when it is important. These PCs have adrenal glands the size of my fist but can set plans in motion that may take multiple generations to finish when calm.

Do they establish binding ties with NPCs?
Yes. Do you know how to make them stop? I have soooooo many NPCs to keep track of. Favorite bartenders, smiths, nobles, clerics, tailors, even prostitutes and pimps.

Do they run with your adventure hooks, or do you have to beat your players over the head with them?
Sorta. They avoid some hooks quite knowingly. Quote one player "sorry, that hook's not shiny enough for me to pick it up."

Do they pick up on clues you drop regarding campaign events, or do you sigh in disappointment when your players overlook the clues?
Yes. No. Both. They are completely unreliable in their perception and genius. I have no idea when they will be staggeringly brilliant or inconceivably dense.

If your answer to any of the above is negative, your players might not be as into your campaign as you'd like them to be. [/QUOTE]

Are you kidding? I have death threats if I end this game. Good thing I'm enjoying it myself.

Ao the Overkitty

First Post
Sometimes you feel like you're DMing for the wrong group?

Oh yeah.

It's a bad sign when you're suppossedly running a good campaign and the man who insisted on no evil PCs is jokingly ?????(yes, I'm really not sure he was joking) urging the others to follow him on robbing the temple and killing its guardians when they're suppossed to be helping them (and effectively threatening to suicide the party).

There doesn't seem to be much desire among the players to keep track of what goes on in my game. Part of it is my fault. I take a lot of time to write an adventure and for a while there I was switching off the game day with another DM's game. We did go from April to September without playing and no one missed the game (was finishing up college and such). We've been back to playing for over a month now, though its obvious they're not "into it."

Been thinking of letting them suicide and trashing the campaign, so that I can work on one of my other campaign ideas, but that would mean stopping DMing for a while.
I love DMing a lot more then playing (been burning out playerwise for a while now).

I know we're capable of caring about a game. Everyone is rather involved in the aforementioned player's game.

Oh well, the game must go on, I guess.

Sir Whiskers

First Post
This is not directed at any particular person posting on this thread, but another question to ask is: "How do I, as a GM, react when a player tries to get 'involved' by taking ownership of part of my world?" As a GM it's very easy to see the campaign as my property, a sandbox the players can play in, but not really touch. IME that can lead to players remaining aloof, treating the game as just a chance to smash things.

A couple examples: In my last campaign, I had one player whose character background included references to being a pirate. Since I hadn't fleshed them out, I asked her to write up a couple pages on the pirates - how they operated, names of important npc's, a little history. Her character would get xp and I'd get enough info to create hooks for her. And she really enjoyed the idea of her background being an important focus for the campaign. Another player got excited when a token encounter with a street urchin led his character to start setting up his own snitch network. In both cases, the players were effecting real change in the world, change that was to a large degree under their control.

In another campaign, as a player, I created a character using an unusual race/class combo. Since the GM hadn't worked up much on the race's culture, I wrote up pages of background fleshing out the society and how my character ended up being a bit iconoclastic. The reaction from the GM and another player: laughter. I threw away my notes at the end of the session and the GM never noticed.

Sometimes players lose interest for reasons we, as GM's, can't control. And sometimes we shoot ourselves in the foot.

Nighthawk

First Post
genshou said:
Sounds like fun (for you!)

I moved to Meridian, Idaho, which is 10 miles away from Boise city limits. There are NO gaming stores anywhere around here, and nobody sells D&D books as far as I can tell. Not even Barnes & Noble or anything. And I don't have any idea how I can find other players here...

Oh, well. That's why I got into online gaming. My current PBEM game has four PCs who have known each other since childhood. They spent at least a month and a half working on their characters before they started. I think from now on I'm going to insist all my players are as into the campaign as those four wonderful players.

I'm too lazy, so will someone please direct me to where on this website I can find out how to use vB code? I want to include above game's story hour link in my signature.

Momentary "Hijack"
Hello Genshou. I also live in the area. The Treasure Valley area has a fair amount of gamers, but for some reason they do not interact much. It's more like they are a multitude of isolated groups. I have always had a difficult time finding new groups to be a part of. Fortunately, persistence has paid off for me more often than not. After all this time, though, I have yet to find a consistent method to find other playing groups.
As for stores with RPG products, the selection is narrower than it used to be, mainly for economic reasons, AFAICT. There is a bookstore in downtown Boise called Book & Games (located at 9th & Main) that I recently discovered. I hope it is able to be successful, because it is even open on Sundays, which is unsusual for small downtown businesses. It has a section on RPG products, similar to Dark Horse Games, which is still around (at 23rd & Main). Hobbytown USA in Boise at Cole & Ustick is also available, but they have less of an emphasis on RPG products. Hastings at Cole & Fairview in Boise is something to look at as well, if there is the desire to. All are hit or miss, because product stocking is less than it was in the past (special orders are more common these days). Incidentally, Meridian has a small comics shop which I visit infrequently. Weird but true.
End Momentary "Hijack"

As for the main point of this thread, I have found that this has been basically true for all the years that I have been gaming. People have different expectations and playing styles, and most game so as a form of enjoyable escapism. Part of this includes not having to put too much effort into personal gaming. I can understand and accept this, because we are talking about a social/leisure activity made by chioce. Note that this belief is based on my personal gaming experiences and interacting with others, and not that this is indded true for nearly everyone. I happen to think it's the most popular truism, so to speak, but I could be wrong.
The following is a comment directed at no one in particular, and is based on my own experiences again. I would be very careful at trying to have players act in certain ways about specific things that matter to you as a gm. This is mainly because not every player fits one mold, which, IMO, is a good thing. If one is interested in having players share the same, or nearly so, interest in what you favor, then an effort needs to made to find the players, not alter or change the current ones for one's purpose alone. I know the gm typically puts in a good deal of time and effort into a campaign, but it is easy to lose perspective on these sorts of things because of that.
I learned the above through experience as a player and a gm, which was both good and bad. What I have learned is that either one accepts what the playing group is like, or one discusses it with them to find out what can be done about any such issues, if possible. A key here is discussing it without it becoming a personal and/or scorecard conversation. If the issue is important enough, perhaps a change of some type is a possibility to explore. If not, it's one of those things that simply are always there.

diaglo

Adventurer
for the last 24 years i have kept a journal for all of my PCs. i still do. it is the only way for me to remember what happened when/ with whom/ etc...

i like revisiting old NPCs.

but i do get frustrated with fellow players who can't remember what the heck they are carrying 2 sessions. even if i know. ;)

genshou

First Post
ForceUser said:

Oh thank the Lord you weren't asking me... yes, go update your story hour. And e-mail me the link once you've done it, as I don't really have online time enough to find it myself.

Lan at theddk dot com

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases