Allignment Problems in my Campaign: Chaotic Neutral or just Annoying...

Apok

First Post
There is no I in TEAM

This argument is the primary reason why I have done away with alignment almost completely when I run a game. Rather than ask a player what his character's alignment is, I ask about his personality. What is your character's view of the world? Of himself? Of society? What are his relationships with friends/family/strangers/lovers like? This gives me a far more complete and accurate view of a character's behavior patterns than some alignment value. As has been stated many times, alignment is a tool not a strait-jacket. Alignment should be based on how the character acts, not vice versa.

Which brings me to another point; party unity. As long as the members of an adventuring party can work well together and can find some common ground/reason to keep adventuring, alignment isn't really an issue. Sure, sometimes characters may clash over a few points, but that's what makes for good roleplaying. If a player wants to be a certain alignment just so he can backstab the other players, wreak havok amongst the campaign world and generally make a nuisance of himself, then he shouldn't be playing D&D in the first place. It's a team effort, and if someone isn't willing to work with the team, they don't need to be a part of it. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with individual party members wanting to shine on their own or stand out in some way. Good for them. It's how they behave in critical situations where its not just their own hides at stake that show just how devoted to the team they are.

To sum up, most so called "alignment" problems are really just player problems. The player in question just wants to be a pain in the arse, so make life miserable for his PC until he gets the message or leaves.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases