[October] What are you watching?

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
We get enough threads on the various popular television series and the latest movies. What about Videos/DVDs of the older gems? Have you been building up your collection in the Sci-Fi and Fantasy genre? I've been re-living some times past through the magical special effects of Ray Harryhausen... :)

Elf Witch

First Post
Mark said:
We get enough threads on the various popular television series and the latest movies. What about Videos/DVDs of the older gems? Have you been building up your collection in the Sci-Fi and Fantasy genre? I've been re-living some times past through the magical special effects of Ray Harryhausen... :)

On my to buy list is Battlestar Galatica the box looks really cool with it being a cyclon head. The old Gerry Anderson show UFO is out right now in a two boxed sets but it is going to be released in one soon and for less money. Forever Knight is coming soon.

I have not been buying these but taping off the Mystery channel the old Avengers.

I have read that soon they are going to release two of my favorite older movies The Thin Man and Where the Boys Are though neither are Sci-Fi movies.

CCamfield

First Post
I've been rewatching my Farscape Season 1 DVD set, and I also recently bought & watched The Adventures of Robin Hood (great, great 2-disc set) and The Mark of Zorro (that's the 40s film with Tyrone Power; not a good disc).

Wombat

First Post
Ah, The Adventures of Robin Hood!

I so enjoyed how the cleaned that film up -- a very nice packaging job all around! :)

Personally, I am having a grand time with two very different music-related discs at the moment -- A Mighty Wind and The Kids Are Alright. I grew up with too much late 50s/early 60s folk music to not find the first one funny and grew up with too much of The Who not to find the second truly magnificent.

And, since it is the season, I'll be watching a bunch of old cheesy Vincent Price movies soon ;)

dave_o

Explorer
I'm watching Haggard, a film done by the pro skater (and personal friend) Bam Margera. It's stupid, but c'mon, I know the guy. I'm also getting amped about the various Rocky Horror Picture Show madnesses during Halloween, so I'm boning up on that. :D

CCamfield

First Post
Wombat said:
Ah, The Adventures of Robin Hood!

I so enjoyed how the cleaned that film up -- a very nice packaging job all around! :)

Yes, they did a great job on the restoration, and there are quite a few interesting extras. My friend and I laughed at the archery expert's promo video of his amazing feats - how overly earnest it was, and how obviously the fellow had an ego (he directed that short as well!)

By contrast Mark of Zorro had a quite mediocre image quality with noticeable print damage. :(

EricNoah

Adventurer
Watched some recent DVD releases. Confessions of a Dangerous Mind was so-so, I found myself zipping through slow parts. Identity was fun -- the twist could be seen a mile away, but still I enjoyed putting the pieces of this relatively easy puzzle together. Enjoyed revisiting Matrix: Reloaded.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I've been watching a lot of Anime, courtesy of Netflix.

Just finished the Generator Gawl series. Very good. Basically, three young men come from the future to try and stave off a devestating world war and the total domination of the world after that by one corporation. 'Generators' are people with a core of hyperenergized cells that let them manifest a powerful exoskeleton, usually something totally monsterous and inhuman. They are the war machines of that future age.

Knight Hunters disc 2. Got this one very quickly after I found the first one they sent me was unplayable. I'm enjoying the series so far, but I can see how it gets such mized reviews at Animeondvd.com. Either people love it or hate it. Some episodes can be watched independently, some are linked into the metaplot.

Four young men run a flower shop in Tokyo. This is a cover for them being assassins of a unique stripe. They are contacted by the mysterious Manx, who works for Persia, a man they only see in shadows on a TV screen; Persia gives them an assignment (usually to kill one or more people; and so far, these people really deserve killing. People like the cop, judge and government official who like to hunt people on their private reserve, or the organleggers, etc etc) and they can accept or decline individually. An additional 'hook' is that each of the Hunters has a pretty dark past that occassionally has something to do with a current mission.

Lain #2. This series continues to get better and better.

In my queue right now: s-Cry-ed, Blue Gender, Blue Seed, Sorcerer on the Rocks, and Phantom Quest Corps. Plus some Black Adder to round things out.

Remove ads