"You're sitting in a tavern, having a drink . . . " in the real world

Shadowdancer

First Post
This past weekend, I went to the Texas Renaissance Festival in Plantersville, near Houston, with some friends, including two members of my gaming group. Most of us went in costume.

They have a new attraction this year: The Prince of Wales Pub. It's great. The minute we walked in, we felt like we had walked into the archetypal fantasy-world tavern. They sell beer, ale, mead and wine as well as some pub food. The decor was really rustic, and sort of dark. The tables were all large barrels set on end. There were some attractive serving wenches, and even a small stage upon which musicians played and sang. And the seating is limited, so it doesn't get too full.

Man, I wish I lived close enough to Plantersville to make a season pass worth-while. I would love to spend a whole day just sitting in there drinking and taking in the atmosphere -- do some "live action role-playing."

If any of you go to the festival this year, you have to check out the Prince of Wales -- but only if you are 21 or older; they restrict admission and require proof of age.

Shadowdancer said:
... The minute we walked in, we felt like we had walked into the archetypal fantasy-world tavern. They sell beer, ale, mead and wine as well as some pub food. The decor was really rustic, and sort of dark. The tables were all large barrels set on end. There were some attractive serving wenches, and even a small stage upon which musicians played and sang. And the seating is limited, so it doesn't get too full. ...

Yeah, but while you were there, did anyone offer you dangerous work in exchange for gold?

Aaron2

Explorer
Shadowdancer said:
This past weekend, I went to the Texas Renaissance Festival in Plantersville, near Houston, with some friends, including two members of my gaming group.

When is it open till?

Aaron

MarauderX

Explorer
Shadowdancer said:
This past weekend, I went to the Texas Renaissance Festival in Plantersville, near Houston, with some friends, including two members of my gaming group. Most of us went in costume.

They have a new attraction this year: The Prince of Wales Pub. It's great. The minute we walked in, we felt like we had walked into the archetypal fantasy-world tavern. They sell beer, ale, mead and wine as well as some pub food. The decor was really rustic, and sort of dark. The tables were all large barrels set on end. There were some attractive serving wenches, and even a small stage upon which musicians played and sang. And the seating is limited, so it doesn't get too full.

Man, I wish I lived close enough to Plantersville to make a season pass worth-while. I would love to spend a whole day just sitting in there drinking and taking in the atmosphere -- do some "live action role-playing."

If any of you go to the festival this year, you have to check out the Prince of Wales -- but only if you are 21 or older; they restrict admission and require proof of age.

Cool. The Pennsylvania festival is located at a winery (or vice versa, either way swords and alcohol are at the same location) and they usually have some free tastings. I don't think they have the mead when was there last, but it would make a great addition. Now I'm sorry I will be missing the last few weekends it will be open, including another terrific Halloween.

Shadowdancer

First Post
BigFreekinGoblinoid said:
Yeah, but while you were there, did anyone offer you dangerous work in exchange for gold?
Well, my wife did say that if we didn't leave the tavern to go see the Ded Bob Show, she was going to hurt me. Does that count?

Tewligan

First Post
I'm going OT for a moment, but your first post reminded me of something. When I went to the Ohio Renaissance Festival a couple of weeks ago, there was no mead to be found at any of the booths. I've never had mead, but I understood it was a staple of these events. Just beer and, for some reason, Arbor Mist wine. Oooh, I was furious! The turkey leg I had barely softened my rage. Mead, mead, I want mead, damn it!

d12

First Post
I was sitting in a bar once when Jennifer Flowers [yes *the* Jennifer Flowers] got up to sing. Anyone care to hear the story or is this like braging about seeing Kato Kaelin somewhere?

d12 said:
I was sitting in a bar once when Jennifer Flowers [yes *the* Jennifer Flowers] got up to sing. Anyone care to hear the story or is this like braging about seeing Kato Kaelin somewhere?

IF it involves JF falling off stage, or otherwise embarrassing herself, or at least something equally funny, I'd be interested! :eek:

kengar

First Post
Tewligan said:
I'm going OT for a moment, but your first post reminded me of something. When I went to the Ohio Renaissance Festival a couple of weeks ago, there was no mead to be found at any of the booths. I've never had mead, but I understood it was a staple of these events. Just beer and, for some reason, Arbor Mist wine. Oooh, I was furious! The turkey leg I had barely softened my rage. Mead, mead, I want mead, damn it!

The Maryland Renn Fest just ended for the season. They serve mead at all the pubs there. There is a vinyard that also makes mead in Mt. Airy, MD and the supply the Faire. http://www.linganore-wine.com

Tewligan, if you want to try mead, prowl some of the larger and more internationally stocked wine shops in your area. Usually, you can find 1-2 brands of mead for sale with the wine. Your are in luck that often wine stores will stock it seasonally for Thanksgiving & X-mas.

Mead can vary in taste as much as wine. There are sweet meads & dry, light meads & dark. It is the oldest ermented beverage (predating beer). It died out towards the end of the Middle Ages because it became cheaper to make beer. Beer also ferments much faster. Mead takes a long time to mature because the antibacterial qualities of honey inhibit the yeast somewhat.

Remove ads