[OOC] Of Vile Darkness - Full

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Rybaer said:
Couple technical/rules-y questions pertaining to shapeshifting.

From what I can tell, the 3.0 edition lycanthrope's change is functionally like a polymorph spell. Equipment that a new form could wield changes with the form. Equipment that the new form could not use melds into the body. In 3.5 (which I presume the Dragon classes are based on), lycanthropes destroy clothing and armor they are wearing and all other equipment drops upon transformation. Considerable difference in how this plays for a PC lycanthrope.

To accomodate this (either way, really), I may need to make some stretches when it comes to magic items. Perhaps a collar/necklace that could be worn in each form. This might be about the only slot that could work in this manner. I was also thinking about possibly having some magical tattoos...something that could be activated once a day, casting a spell-like effect on the character and is available in all forms. Ray, I've seen you come up with some clever and inventive magic items. Perhaps you could think on this and come up with something else.
Well, how I'm doing it for my face-to-face group for one player that wants to be a were-creature is that it would work kinda like a druid's wildshape. Mostly everything just merged with your new form (if in animal form), but magical armor and weapons and other magic items could be used in hybrid form (due to magical armor's etc ability to magically size itself). But when in animal form most of your magical items wouldn't be available to you as you'd be merged. The idea of magical tattoos, implanted magical devices, permanent spell effects, or even symbiont creatures to take the place of conventional magic items appeals greatly though, and would be a strong possibility for a lycanthrope character. Thanks for the compliments Rybaer, I shall try to see what I can come up with. You'll need to give me some suggestions as to what types of items your characters wants though...

Oh, and since I got Dragon #313, I've been fleshing out Low'verok's lycanthrope community. Most weretigers generally tend to be good, though there are always exceptions. Tell me which one(s) you want and I'll try to get you more information on the communities/areas/activities of the various lycanthropes.

Minor request - The class progression dictates that the first three feats the weretiger gets should be Alertness, Improved Natural Attack (claw), and Improved Natural Attack (bite). For one thing, I can't find this "Improved Natural Attack" anywhere. I'm assuming it gives +1 to attack rolls, but that could be wrong. Second, it says these may be substituted out for an alternative. I was thinking of exchanging the (bite) feat for Multiattack if that's okay.
Hmmm... I think in animal form and hybrid form you can attack with all your natural weapons (or at least two claws or the bite). Lemme look over Multiattack and see what I think.

Rybaer

First Post
Ray Silver said:
Well, how I'm doing it for my face-to-face group for one player that wants to be a were-creature is that it would work kinda like a druid's wildshape. Mostly everything just merged with your new form (if in animal form), but magical armor and weapons and other magic items could be used in hybrid form (due to magical armor's etc ability to magically size itself). But when in animal form most of your magical items wouldn't be available to you as you'd be merged. The idea of magical tattoos, implanted magical devices, permanent spell effects, or even symbiont creatures to take the place of conventional magic items appeals greatly though, and would be a strong possibility for a lycanthrope character. Thanks for the compliments Rybaer, I shall try to see what I can come up with. You'll need to give me some suggestions as to what types of items your characters wants though...

Oh, and since I got Dragon #313, I've been fleshing out Low'verok's lycanthrope community. Most weretigers generally tend to be good, though there are always exceptions. Tell me which one(s) you want and I'll try to get you more information on the communities/areas/activities of the various lycanthropes.

Hmmm... I think in animal form and hybrid form you can attack with all your natural weapons (or at least two claws or the bite). Lemme look over Multiattack and see what I think.

I'll try to come up with a few suggestions for unusual items. Off the bat, I'll probably need something to beef up my AC while in tiger form. The 18 or so that it's shaping up to be won't keep me alive long in a fight...even with DR.

I'm pretty well set on going with the weretiger, so feel free to give me a little fleshing out on that when time permits. I envision the character as a minor noble or wannabe...playing up on the weretiger's inpulse to be surrounded with wealth, glitz, and lazy decadence. That's the day job, anyway.

The weretiger does have a claw/claw/bite attack. The Multiattack feat changes the secondary attack(s) from -5 to -2. There's also an "Improved Multiattack" feat in the Savage Species book which further brings it up to no penalty, though I'm not sure about using that.

Whran - thanks for finding that feat. A little different than I expected.

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Rybear, you might want to look at the Vile Natural Attack feat (BoVD pg 50) you need to do at least 1d8 damage on a natural attack. I'm missing my dragon 313 right so I don't know if you qualify for it

Rybaer

First Post
Brother Shatterstone said:
Rybear, you might want to look at the Vile Natural Attack feat (BoVD pg 50) you need to do at least 1d8 damage on a natural attack. I'm missing my dragon 313 right so I don't know if you qualify for it

Yeah, I was looking at taking it for my vile feat. Great minds think alike, eh? Fits right in with the character. If my number crunching is correct, my claws will be doing base 2d6 dmg and bite will be 3d6...so that's no problem. I'll just have to come up with a bit of colorful backstory to explain why I inflict those kinds of wounds.

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Rybaer said:
Yeah, I was looking at taking it for my vile feat. Great minds think alike, eh?
I guess so; ;) I'm not sure which vile feat I want to take... I'm moving so slow on this it seems. To bad my midnights (graveyards) are up right now, I would have had it done by now! *L*

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Ray, also I'm looking at being a 5th level bondblade would that mean that my scourge would have the fallowing:
magical enchantment +3
bypassing damage reduction +4
Defender +5? This is the one I’m unsure off.

Also say the scourge has wounding (which cost a +2 for pricing) that wouldn’t effect on any of the above correct?

Also Weapon Finesse on a Scourge... yes or no? It is allowed on a normal whip but no mention is made for it on the scourge's description.

Last edited:

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Rybaer - I'm cool with Multiattack. I'll have some general information on the weretiger communities up sometime tomorrow.

Bro - It looks like your scourge has an Int of 18, a Wis of 19, and a Cha of 15. Um yeah... the dice like you or something. I'm keeping that set to roll up my next character! And it's a +3 defending weapon, capable of bypassing DR up to +4. Your wounding ability has no affect on the above, like you said.

If you want poison for your scourge (or if anyone wants any kind of poison), try to use the updated poison price table in Song and Silence. If you don't have it, then just go with the DMG and I'll correct you later. I'll also allow poisons from Traps and Treachery I.

As for the metals - Not only does mithril and adamantine exist, but the special metals and materials from Magic of Faerun are available too! (Living metal, icesteel, etc.)

Last edited:

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Ray, I edited my post when your where typing...

Weapon Finesse on a Scourge... yes or no? It is allowed on a normal whip but no mention is made for it on the scourge's description

Wow! Those are some nice rolls it's "whipping" my ass in two of those stats... nice pun huh? :D

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases