Ideas on a feat: Mounted cleave

wolfpunk

First Post
Updated and revised once again...

Mounted Cleave [General]

You can use the speed of your mount to close in on additional opponents.

Prequisites: Str 13+, BAB 8+, Cleave, Mounted Combat, Power Attack, Ride by Attack.
Benefit: When you are mounted and use the charge action, and you deal a creature enough damage to make it drop (typically by dropping it to below 0 hit points, killing it, etc), you get an immediate extra melee attack against another creature in the immediate vicinity. You may take a 10 foot step before making this extra attack. Your 10 foot move must be in the same direction you travelled during your charge. The extra attack is with the same weapon and at the same bonus as the attack that dropped the previous creature. You do not provoke an attack of oppurtunity from the opponent you attack in this fashion. You can use this ability once per round.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
What's wrong with just using cleave? the 10 foot move seems like a lot. Can you do that evern if technically you shouldn't be able to move anymore in the round?

wolfpunk

First Post
I was simply trying to add an advantage to being mounted. Since mounts have better speed, it seemed to me that upping the range of the cleave by 5 feet was an acceptable choice. In my mind I visualize the mounted knight travelleling through the onrushing attackers cleaving as he goes.

I think that there is a feat, or ability that allows you to take a five foot step before your cleave attack, it does not restrict you from doing this if you have already moved your full movement, so I do not think mine would either.

Wolf72

Explorer
almost asked the same question as the other guy ...

... um so you want the ability to go thru one foe after another ...

hmm how about write it up so it gives you the ability to attack targets along a straight line as long as they are within 5ft of each other ...

I'm thinking a lighting bolt ... only this time it's mounted and uses a lance (of course you have to kill the first creature in order to get to the next one)

Crothian

First Post
I think the movement should be a logical progression..ie the way the horse is pointing. I know there is no facing in d&d, but i think there should be a limit to the options of directions.

wolfpunk

First Post
Crothian, I absolutely agree. This is what I am thinking.

If you have moved already during this turn, your 10 foot step must be in the same direction you have travelled in a straight line.

If you have not moved during this turn, you may choose the direction you move.

Sound good?

... um so you want the ability to go thru one foe after another ...

Simply one extra shot one time a round. I don't think its too powerful considering the feats required, the BAB required. It is a high level ability and I think the mounted character doesn't get enough options at higher levels.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
That sounds about right. You might want to add in the stipulation that the new target does not get any AoO because of the movement like in Ride By Attack.

wolfpunk

First Post
ok then going to make the two following changes to the feat.
Must travel in the direction you have already moved.
Does not provoke an AoO from the opponent you attack.

Thanks guys.

Alaric_Prympax

First Post
wolfpunk said:
I think that there is a feat, or ability that allows you to take a five foot step before your cleave attack, it does not restrict you from doing this if you have already moved your full movement, so I do not think mine would either.

There is the 'Special' ability Supreme Cleave in S&F under the 'Knight Protector of the Great Kingdom' and 'Master Samurai'. It is NOT listed under the new feats in that book, nor have I seen it anywhere else but I could be wrong. If it is somewhere else please post and let me know. I will confess that I have not read all the PrC in all the splatbooks so it could be elsewhere. I think that Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, and Supreme Cleave is a great feat chain. Luckly no one in my group has asked about this yet so I've not had to make a decision to allow it or not.

wolfpunk

First Post
I have generally done away with prestige classes in my campaigns. My players don't like the prerequisites for most of them, and don't feel the progression for most of them is worth it. So we simply adopt into feats things that we like. Supreme Cleave would be one of those sort of abilities. Turning it into a feat with a requirement of BAB 12+, Power attack, cleave and great cleave, just makes it simple. Keeps the feat out of the hands of most non-warrior characters, takes quite a few feats to get, and usually by the time you get it, your chances of dropping the opponents you are fighting right off in the first round is starting to dwindle, so it rarely kicks in as an epic battle ability, unless the Dm designs a battle with that in mind.

Remove ads