Horror Game

Fathead

First Post
Well, my other thread was moved. I'll still check to see if it gets any posts, but I thought I'd start a thread that was more general (and maybe a bit more interesting).

I'm contemplating running a short-term horror game (I may even wait until next fall to run it).

I'm also tossing around the idea of involving the players before I even begin the game. I think that bizarre occurrences will help to create the atmosphere even before we start the game (I probably won't even tell them that I'm going to do it, or even that I'll be running a horror game). For example, I plan to send obscure items or old newspaper clippings to them in the mail (with no explanation and no return address). These will be items (or events) that will come up in the game that they'll refer to later.

So, does anyone have further suggestions that I could run with?

MarauderX

Explorer
Fathead said:
Well, my other thread was moved. I'll still check to see if it gets any posts, but I thought I'd start a thread that was more general (and maybe a bit more interesting).

I'm contemplating running a short-term horror game (I may even wait until next fall to run it).

I'm also tossing around the idea of involving the players before I even begin the game. I think that bizarre occurrences will help to create the atmosphere even before we start the game (I probably won't even tell them that I'm going to do it, or even that I'll be running a horror game). For example, I plan to send obscure items or old newspaper clippings to them in the mail (with no explanation and no return address). These will be items (or events) that will come up in the game that they'll refer to later.

So, does anyone have further suggestions that I could run with?

Now that is some serious planning and coordination. It sounds good as long as you are running something modern, perhaps even a darker version of Shadowrun. The night before the game you should call each player up when they aren't home and leave a message that pertains to the character, say like an NPC calling for help or saying that they will meet them tomorrow night, the more ambiguous the better. Send a few emails from an address that you haven't used with them before, making it some NPC's address that they can chat with or get ideas from. This is great for Shadowrun as some mysterious Decker helps them out by sharing tidbits of info to use the PCs to his advantage.
Tell the players that they are not alone in this game world if they ask you about it out of character, and play up that perhaps you are employing the help of someone you know a long distance away, but never say directly 'Joe from Minnesota is helping me out'. Keep it mysterious so that they have to talk to this NPC as part of the team eventhough you may run him at the game sessions.
I always like using description to frighten the players during the game, making comparisons like zombies as tall as the tallest PC or rats as big as your head. Then give the gory details when a planned event occurs, like an NPC being slain and "having a hole large enough to fit a bowling ball through, and you know there is no gun, let alone other weapon, that could ever have made this wound."
Whatever, have fun, but the mail thing could get creepy to sig others of the players, and they wouldn't care to ever understand why it might matter for the aspect of the game.

Fathead

First Post
--but the mail thing could get creepy to sig others of the players, and they wouldn't care to ever understand why it might matter for the aspect of the game.

I'm not too worried about that. My players are my wife, my good friend and his wife (who I've known for years), and another friend who is fairly easy going.

I do enjoy Shadowrun, but I wanted to keep it in the Horror genre.

I've played around with the idea of using a computer during the actual gaming sessions and making some abrupt, sudden, and frightening MP3 sound effects (and maybe strategically placing the subwoofers under seats). They could be used at specific times in the adventure (much like horror movies make frequent use of the often loud "shock" factor).

I've also considered "location" as an important factor. Maybe we could rent a cabin in the woods for a weekend, and have campfires at night...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases