When did the Monster Manual 2 become a core book?

Tsyr

Explorer
Like the title says. I thought only the MM1 was core... yet the MM2 is required to use at least one of the prestige classes from Book of Exalted Deeds.

There are a number of instances in Exalted Deeds that require "non-core" books (I recall seeing a couple of splatbook items in there, for example). Guess some things slipped.

WizarDru

Adventurer
Tsyr said:
Like the title says. I thought only the MM1 was core... yet the MM2 is required to use at least one of the prestige classes from Book of Exalted Deeds.
Which one, specifically?

johnsemlak

First Post
I agree I'm not sure this is a bad thing. I really like drawing on more material than the 3 core books. That should be the advantage of 'official' material

How many people who by the BoED wont' have the MMII, anyway? Surely some, not too many.

Last edited:

TrubbulTheTroll

First Post
3.5 has shown us the future. There will be more and more for the core. 3.0 Optional rules that were smart and/or popular in the splatbooks/Forgotten Realms have in many, many instances become part of the core rules in 3.5. This is a rather smart way to run a business as it builds on your customers' demonstrated interests all the while rewarding your customers with decisions that they know were justified.

Expect more "more for core." What are today's popular options may well be inducted into the next set of core rules.

WizarDru

Adventurer
johnsemlak said:
I agree I'm not sure this is a bad thing. I really like drawing on more material than the 3 core books. That should be the advantage of 'official' material

How many people who by the BoED wont' have the MMII, anyway? Surely some, not too many.
[Raises Hand]

One of my players, who's main character is a cleric, doesn't either. I'm of two minds...on the one hand, I like that they're using more of the material. On the other hand, I really like the ethic that has been WotC's watchword since 3E's inception: namely that each book outside the core should not require additional purchases to be useful. Hence the reason the Githyanki appeared in both MotP and the PsiHB, and in slightly different forms each time.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases