Gamedays

takyris

First Post
Howdy. First Meta post, I believe.

What's up with the Gamedays? Who makes them happen? How are they organized? Who takes the reins? Is it kind of a collective "Yeah, sure", or are they decided somehow, like the Olympics?

I'd love to see a Bay Area California Gameday, but, you know, am cosmically unlikely to actually organize one myself.

takyris said:
Howdy. First Meta post, I believe.
Congrats, I suppose. Do they say "howdy" in the Bay area?
What's up with the Gamedays?
They're typically pretty fun.
Who makes them happen?
Some guy with initiative and a little bit of perserverance. Connections to a venue help big time also.
How are they organized?
Chicago is typically organized by an open call for games and players, who gradually get matched up until the tables are full.
Who takes the reins?
Whomever has enough initiative to do so, really.
Is it kind of a collective "Yeah, sure", or are they decided somehow, like the Olympics?
The former, pretty much.
I'd love to see a Bay Area California Gameday, but, you know, am cosmically unlikely to actually organize one myself.
Don't hold your breath for one, then, I'm afraid.

Last edited:

takyris

First Post
I don't think "they" say howdy, but I'm something of a verbal chameleon -- or maybe the opposite of a chameleon. I steal any interesting phrase I see. And howdy still stands out on the web. Kinda. It's more approachable than "Hello", and I can't rip off SHARK with "Greetings!"

I've got zero connections to a big venue. I'd be great with being one of several people organizing something -- I just know that, while I'd love to see it happen, it ain't happnin' if it's all just me. :)

Ah, well. If other San Francisco or San Jose folks chime in, I'd definitely be up for working on it. I just have that fourth-grade horror vision of doing the first post and seeing that "27 views, 0 replies" drift slowly down the page over the course of the day...

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Step One: Secretly arrange with some friends to quickly sign up. That way you have momentum!

Step Two: Arrange a venue, and don't post until you do. This can be a game store or someone's house - wherever there is space. Try to find a dot-com-ex-millionaire with extra space. :)

Step Three: Post the thread, announcing a specific date at least one month (preferable 6 weeks) out. Request DMs and players. Be humble; just try to fill one game at first, and let others accrue, but don't initially expect multi-person tables. We've had three Boston games with only one game being played.

Step Four: Remember to leave the first post of the thread for editing in schedules. Whore the game day in your sig, and mention it subtlely to other people in your area.

That should do it! We've had some real success in places like Chicago (yay Thalmin of Games Plus! Best store EVER), NC and Boston. Other great game days have gone off as well. All you need is a critical mass of people from your area, and some fun games.

Last edited:

Lola

First Post
And bring your own pencil. I showed up at NC gameday pencil-less, and had to keep swiping Henry's. I know how hard it is to procure a pencil, but I really feel embarrased at my faux pas. Why, it was almost as bad as if I had... touched someone else's dice. :eek:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
He still mocks you about it in the Moderator's Forum, Lola. He just won't shut up about it. It's amazing. I think you traumatized the poor guy.

Lola

First Post
But, but, but... I only put it between my teeth once! I was really having to contemplate that 5 ft. step, and unthinkingly...

*bursts into tears*

Last edited:

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I think the first Chicago game day started with someone (Mark) saying "Wouldn't it be great if the EN Boarders in the Chicago area got together?" or something like that. Soon someone else said "While we're at it, let's play D&D." Before long a site was found and it was organized into time slots, multiple games, and a breakfast get-together.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases