(IR) IR Interlude Turn 4 - 5 (thread 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
aaaaaaaah something sprang to mind. Let's not forget about the missing Phaerimm! MayB it has something to do with the missing Scro..... who'll tell....

Do not forget these 2 missing things!!!!

Tokiwong

First Post
Iuz prepares

Iuz relaxes on his throne and glances to his gathered retinue... contemplating... His eyes scanning the room taking in every slight nuance and detail reading their thoughts... their fears... he almost smiled for he knew what they feared most. Not death, not their enemies... but himself... Iuz was pleased with this, for in their fear was devotion. Devotion to a bloody cause, to bring balance... to right the many wrongs... let others proclaim their newfound philosophy... he would simply act...

Iuz motioned with his hand, and his servants snapped to; moving into action, without a word, his plans were set into motion.

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
Well, you know the surface of the Blood Waste has stopped expanding.
As for the deep infection ... well, you'll have to go down there and look for yourselves (and yes, it continues to spread.)

- - -

Ok, people, I need to make a ruling.

Before a grand version of what happened with Forrester, happens now.

It is only logical that 8 or 9 Powers throw all their PL into one Power, to give that Power 11th level magic.
Within the rules, it can be done.

But, it cannot be done.

When I say you lose 2 (or 4) PL out of every 10 PL spent in research on 10th (or 11th) level magic, where do you think that PL comes from?
It doesn't come from your PCs.
It doesn't come from your NPCs.
It doesn't come from your value in the Technological Arms Race.
It doesn't come from your value in the Magical Arms Race.
It could come from your values in the Planar, Undead, Monster, and Construct Arms Races, but point values there are minor.

So guess where it comes from ... your PEOPLE.
Your PEOPLE die, in those experiments, sometimes en mass.
Sometimes only their homes are destroyed with them, and sometimes whole cities are devastated.

Now, if you tell me: I have a total PL of 300, and I give Kalanyr 30 PL to help him on research for 11th level magic, that's fine.
Your people will accept that level of sacrifice, for the greater good.

But, although the people of Oerth are valiant and courageous, and sometimes even foolish, they are not suicidal (except for Rhialto's people.)

If you tell me: I have a total PL of 300, and I am giving 200 of that PL to Kalanyr (or even 100 of that PL) to aid him in his efforts to obtain 11th level magic, this is what will happen:
Your people will revolt, en mass.
They will not commit mass suicide so that someone else can have 11th level magic.

As a result, Kalanyr will get NO PL from your Power that Turn.
In addition, your expenditure of 200 PL (or 100 PL) will be considered spent, and lost, unusable for any purpose.
You will not lose PL from researching 11th level magic, but you will not be able to use the 200 (or 100) PL for any purpose that Turn.

You will have to put the revolt down, which may or may not take your Power out of commission for the whole Turn.

Now, as I said, you could give that 30 PL, and your people would not revolt.
Want to push your luck? You could try for 40 PL.
Want to really push your luck? You could try for 50 PL.
Want to really, really push your luck? You could try for 70 PL.

I'm not telling you where the threshhold is for revolt.
Just that it is over 1/10th of your total PL, and under 1/3rd of your total PL.

The more PL you allocate to help another Power gain 10th or 11th level magic, the higher the chance of revolt, with all the consequences detailed above.

Now, you MAY devote any amount of PL to researching 10th or 11th level magic, for your own Power.
You are free to sacrifice your own people, to obtain the magic for yourself.
Although they do not like it, your people will make the sacrifice for your own Power.

- - -

So, I will not be seeing Kalanyr receiving 1,000 points of aid, from other Powers, in his quest for 11th level magic on Turn 5.

It isn't going to be that easy, folks.

And yes, this applies to Forrester and Alzem also, if they try to loan more than 100 or 40 PL respectively, to Kalanyr, or anyone else.

Last edited:

William Ronald

Explorer
Edena's ruling will make for a longer and more interesting IR.

So, any reactions to the Gamma World post.

Slow day, here. Edena, I will work up a template and send it to you no later than tomorrow morning.

The Blood Wastes should be investigated by Kalanyr to see how it is spreading beneath the surface. Possibly it is beginning to slow a little.

It is still a serious threat. However, it is somewhat less urgent.

I am for a longer IR.

However, helping to advance someone's civilization may be a lot easier. It is one thing to ask if you can help me build a better railroad. (It is another to ask people to engage in dangerous experiments to benefit another nation.)

Last edited:

dagger

Adventurer
I will also investigate the underground spreading very carefully using you know who...

Last edited:

Festy_Dog

First Post
Silver Phase paced back and forth in his conference room in the hellfurnaces, Duelist Soul throbbed at his side, silently communicating with its weilder. A large, elegant, granite table was in the centre of the room, six adventurers sat around it while a dire bear sat against a wall, a glint of keen intellect shone in its eyes. These were Silver's most trusted associates, and aided him in his planning and organizing of anything of importance.

Kcyldyei, sitting between Khelarque and Lenaurae, stood up and announced, "Silver, operation whirlwind has been executed and completed successfully, we are now executing operation reparation."

"Do not forget the specific amount of recources to be provided to said operation" Silver added, Khelarque started making notes on some blank paper he brought just for this situation,"In the month coming I hope to conduct a fair amount of research, too much will leave us defensless, so be aware of our limits."

After Kcyldyei sat down James stood up walked over to where Silver Phase was now sitting. He took a letter from under his druid robes and handed it to Silver.

"Vaeregoth requests you look at this letter," James tells him.

Silver opens the letter, nods, and sternly says to everyone, "People, finish what you're putting together and leave instructions for those who are in charge while we are away, get yourselves ready for travel. We will personally go to Vaeregoth's aid. If we can spare it I'll bring a small task force with us."

"What are we going to be helping Vaeregoth with?" Bobo asks, finding the subject worthy to sit up for.

"Now is not the time to ask. Wait till we are there, she could explain better than I," Silver returns.

Lenaurae ruffled her wings and took one of James's hands in her's then said, "What is it about James? What should we expect?"

"Only Silver knows. I was given the envelope by a formian and he told me that Silver was the only person allowed to open it and that I need to give it to him at our next conference," James said.

Durgrim stood up and then yelled, "AYE! One of our allies needs help, that's all I need to know! I'm gettin ready now! AYE!"

He stormed out of the meeting chamber, holding the glowing Dragonaxe in the air. He was followed by a wave of discussion.

Khelarque told everyone to return to their seats, which they did minus Durgrim, who was intent on preparing for battle when even though he didn't know what was needed to be done. Obmi was fuming.

"How can that idiotic, uncouth, mountain dwarf just be allowed to behave like that! Its.....its.....unbelievable!" Obmi screamed.

"Shut up!" Khelarque yelled back, "This is nothing to have a civil war over. Lets finish up here with the other matters which call our attention then ready ourselves for an unknown task. Please note that Silver will reveal to us what we must do once we are on the move. I'll go get Durgrim so we can hear his reports."

"Thank you Khelarque, please do," said Silver, "Now, on to other matters................"

Festy, good job.

Very nice RPing :)

Edena I don't believe you responded to my last mail. (Ibelieve there was at least 1 or 2 things to respond to :)) So when you have the time (preferable before tomorrow) reply to it so I can make up my final template.

William Ronald

Explorer
Festy Dog: I concur with the Forsaken One. Very good roleplaying.

Archcleric Hazen sits with a gold dragon against a stream.

"So, do you think they will have a care with these weapons of mass destruction. History does not seem too promising in this regard," the dragon says sadly.

"No, it does not. However, we can hope that the rational powers will not use atomic guns like artillery shells." Hazen says. He seems tired.

"Perhaps. What of the irrational powers, the ones who would use these weapons indiscrimately? There are those who have already attempted to alter the world, through pollution or magic."

"Perhaps the only solution is that the rational powers - those who do not want to see Oerth a dead rock orbitting its sun - to try to prevent the irrational powers from gaining nuclear weapons," Hazen replies looking up at the endless stars.

"Regardless, there will be more death. The irrational powers would oppose any attempt to limit them. I fear the only language they will understand is force," the dragon says, shaking his head.

"We may be doomed to such things. In the end, all we have is hope," Hazen said.

"That is a very slender thread upon which the fate of the world hangs," the dragon says.

"Yes, a thin thread indeed."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases