I need an adventure containing a siege/ breaking a siege/commanding an army !

Lannister

First Post
Hello,

I have the following question:

I need a module where the main plot revolves around the PC`s being in a siege, breaking a siege, commanding an army, you get what i mean.
MY main goal is to make one of the PC`s a Paladin some sort of a war-hero and to prepare my PC`s for the upcoming wars.

There is a major secession war going on in my campaign and from a mountain range, a barbarian people are planning to invade the PC`s home country,
Inspired by David Gemmells book: Legend. So the PC`s goal should be to hold this second front.

I thought about using the Module DL8 Dragons of war and modifying it a lot, but i also read abut the seven avenger series by Oone Games and the first module : Legend of the steel general and Siege of Draman Del.

So i`m asking:
Can anyone recommend me some modules, so that i can choose between the different adventures ? Can anyone give me reviews of the above mentioned modules by Oone games, cause i cannot find any on the net ?

The level of the adventures doesn`t matter cause i can adjust it.

Thanks in advance,
L.

Last edited:

Lannister

First Post
Thank you, yet another question:

Olgar Shiverstone said:
Legend of the Steel General review

The plot's a bit forced on your characters, but it does have a very epic feel to it -- not to mention it's an almost direct rip from Gemmell. Should work perfectly for what you have in mind.

And how is this the siege of draman del ? Does it work out well ?

Ahh and another question: The modules from Oone are only available as PDF`s, don`t they ? One cannot buy them in a local store ?

thanks in advance,
L.

PDF only. High quality for a PDF product -- 0one's artwork, particularly the 3D stuff, is amazing.

The siege portion of LotSG is pretty well done -- it incorporates the PCs as a sort of "special forces" unit. They see the big stuff going on, but they're only actually invovled in their little piece of it - -that's how I'd run (and have run) siege-based adventures when you don't want them commanding large units. Think Legolas and Gimli in The Two Towers.

I haven't looked at any of the follow-on adventures in the series, so you should check elsewhere (perhaps here at EN World) for reviews.

der_kluge

Adventurer
Siege of Ebonring Keep has a Siege in it.

But, it's Arcana Unearthed, but it's probably easily enough converted to d20.

It's not really the main plot of the story, though, but a major facet of it.

Lannister said:
Hello,

I have the following question:

I need a module where the main plot revolves around the PC`s being in a siege, breaking a siege, commanding an army, you get what i mean.

Well, I've got a homebrew that I just ran that might work for you. Basic idea is that the PCs are warned via dream of an impending plague starting in a town under seige that will spread across the continent.

Barbarians are beseiging a mid-sized city. The town's only natural resource is farming and it is in a plains setting (think kansas). The barbarians lost all their granaries & supplies due to inter-clan warfare, retribution from other armies, etc. They've chosen this town because it is out of the way and only moderately defended because it is only valuable during full-on war.

Barbarians (think viking) arrive via ships that land 3-4 days walk from coast and start the seige beginning late fall/early winter. It is a two-three week march to the nearest military outpost making a counter-force arriving before spring unlikely. The barbarians are arcane magic light but have adepts, clerics & druids.

The barbarian chief is well aware disease & battle will thin his ranks. Truth is, he's counting on it. His army doesn't have enough supplies to last the winter and he needs the losses caused by charging the walls to stretch them out. His people as a whole will die without the supplies within the city and he's willing to take insane losses immediately. Death by starvation is far more demoralizing than death in combat. As a result he has whipped his people into a frenzy.

Explaining the situation to him will do no good; death by plague vs. death by starvation is no choice. Plague can be survived; no one survives starvation.

The city wants to wait out the barbarians; they have plenty of food and the walls seem strong enough. The city has little seige experience and the people have no desire to attack the barbarians. They don't like the idea of plague but they aren't willing to go to combat over a dream somebody else has.

Like the barbarians, the city has few arcane casters but a number of clerics and adepts.

The PCs have several options to solve the scenario:
try to infiltrate the barbarians. They are several clans with internal rivalries that can be exploited.

Assassinate their clan chief; his personality is the only thing that holds the force together. The seige will continue but the internal forces could likely defeat the weakend barbarians prior to the plague.

Destroy/steal/take their ships hostage. Without them they won't be able to spread the plague and could cause negotiations. (Ships are expensive and are owned by the clans, not the high chief)

Find a way to bring in a relief force despite the weather.

Acquire food. Tons & tons of it. that *might* enable negotiatons with the barbarians. The clan chief isn't stupid but his troops are set on taking the city.

"Last Stand" if the PCs wait long enough the barbarians will launch an all-out attack. If they've been coaching the locals that are willing to fight back they can break the charge by leading a counter-charge right to the high chief where the heros can deal with him.

diaglo

Adventurer
and you have the other editions to fall back on too.

at the end of 1ed they the introduction of the Battlesystem rules.

they released a few...try the H series. ;) and then it was ported over to the FR.

2ed had I14 Swords of the Iron Legion, FRQ2 Hordes of Dragonspear both also based in the Forgettable Realms

or you could stretch back to the Companion Rules...and try CM1 Test of the Warlords.

there are many examples of mass combat rules involving PCs.

that is where D&D came from...wargaming...Chainmail...the real deal.

Micar Sin

First Post
On a smaller scale, but one that might still be useful, the was an adventure in dungeon back in the 2e days called "The Siege of Kratys(sp) Freehold"
It puts the players in charge of a small fort the is under siege by orcs. Easily converted to 3e I think, and it would work with barbarians instead of orcs as well...

Lannister

First Post
And from these old you mentioned...

Thank you for your replies

@Diaglo: And from the old ones you described, which would fit best to my setting described above ?

Thanks in advance.
L.

Remove ads