Last Night's Game: 3 men and a stone golem [multiple ?'s]

Hello all,

I was DM'ing a game last night (Evil FR game) and one of the plot elements was for the group to get a medallion that was buried with a hero long dead.

The group consists in:
Rogue10
Rogue5/Assassin5
Evoker10 (B)
Cleric7/Divine Disciple of Bane2 (C)
Fighter8 (A)

Now for this particular event, both Rogues didn't participate.

The setup is this (see image below):

Within the walls of the palace of Suzail (Capital of Cormyr) lies the Garden of Heroes, a cemetary devoted to the heroes of Cormyr. One particular hero, Amoyatsu, was buried with a powerful medallion that the PC's needed, a long time ago.

Amoyatsu is in a sealed, stone tomb (grey rectangle) within a small mausoleum (20'X15'). Inside the Mausoleum, garding the tomb, is a stone golem enchanted that can see invisible creatures (red thing).

The cleric uses Ethereal Jump to check out the inside of the tomb. He sees the statue and guesses (correctly) that it is a golem (they were warned by ancient scriptures). He looks inside the tomb, and spots the medallion. There isn't enough space for him to rematerialize inside the tomb, get the medallion, and get out (with another Ethereal jump).

He gets out. The next night, they plan their heist. They know they can't do much against a stone golem. It was a good plan, no doubt about it, I want to be sure I adjucated it correctly.

The Evoker makes himself everyone invisible, then teleports them into the mausoleum. The Evoker hadn't seen the interior, but casts the spell just from outside the mausoleum. The Evoker arrives at a "random" point inside the mausoleum, flanked by his allies. They are still invisible. As a surprise round, the Cleric casts Wall of stone (brown line) and blocks the golem from being able to reach them. The Evoker follows with a Wall of Force. Now, the Wall of stone can be shaped, and thus blocks all. The Wall of Force can't be shaped, so it stands on the tomb. There is a space, in front of the Fighter, from floor to about 4' high, where there isn't a Wall of Force, just a Wall of Stone.

The golem activates and starts smashing the Wall of Stone. He does pretty good damage for a few rounds, during which the Cleric and Evoker ascertain if the Tomb is trapped. The golem destroys the section of Wall of Stone in front of the Fighter, kneels down, and grabs the Fighter's leg from underneath the Wall of Force. During that time, the Cleric has cast Stone shape, and made a hole in the Tomb, through which he can recuperate the Medallion. When the Cleric gets the Medallion, the Evoker Teleports everyone to a safe place. The golem, who was holding the Fighter's leg, is now empty-handed. Also note that every thing happened while everyone was invisible.

Questions:
1) Were the Wall shapings correct?
2) Can you make a hole in stone with Stone Shape?
3) Should the Teleport have failed (because the Golem was holding the Fighter and weighs much more than what the Evoker can teleport)?
4) Was this a good plan?
5) Should I have made it more difficult since everyone was invisible?

Thanks in advance.

AR

Attachments

• Situation.jpg
    Situation.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 117

Bauglir

First Post
Questions:
1) Were the Wall shapings correct?
2) Can you make a hole in stone with Stone Shape?
3) Should the Teleport have failed (because the Golem was holding the Fighter and weighs much more than what the Evoker can teleport)?
4) Was this a good plan?
5) Should I have made it more difficult since everyone was invisible?

Thanks in advance.

AR
1) Yes
2) Yes
3) No - Teleport affects (willing) targets touched: The evoker was touching the fighter at the time, and not the golem - the grapple was irrelevant.
4) Seems that way, sure
5) Teleport requires you to touch the targets - not automatic given that they were invisible, even though they were willing targets. Off the top of my head I'd use a couple of touch attacks vs AC 0 with the appropriate two-weapon fighting penalties and a 50% miss chance for invisibility

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases